We're in This Together

By Vdelphine

An Artist Girl Jennifer Alison , who is taking care of 5 years old kid Adeline Alison as Her daughter. One d... More

PROLOGUE
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9
Episode 10
Episode 11
Episode 12
Episode 13
Episode 14
Episode 15
Episode 16
Episode 17
Episode 18
Episode 19
Episode 20
Episode 21 (Part1)
Episode 21 (Part2)
Episode 21 (Part3)
Episode 22
Episode 23
Episode 24
Episode 25
Episode 26
Episode 28
Episode 29
Episode 30
Episode 31
Episode 31 (Part 2)
Episode 31 (Part 3)
Episode 32
Episode 33
Episode 34
Episode 35
Episode 36
Episode 37
Episode 38
Episode 39
Episode 40
Episode 41
Episode 42
Episode 43
Episode 44
Episode 45
Episode 46
Episode 47
Episode 48
Episode 49
Episode 50
Episode 51
Episode 52
Episode 53
Episode 54
Episode 55
Episode 56
Episode 57
Episode 58
Episode 59
Episode 60
Episode 61

Episode 27

565 21 3
By Vdelphine

" 'What?' I inquired of Lexa as I arranged the cups on the shelf.

'Yeah, May really wants to meet Adie,' Lexa responded as she handed me the washed cups. I paused, cup in hand.

'So, does Adie need to sleep over at your house?' I turned slightly to face her, my gaze meeting hers.

'If you guys want to...' she trailed off. As she spoke, I glanced over at Adie, who was seated on the small couch by the counter. Having Adie sleep over at Lexa's wasn't unusual; whenever I had an important case, Adie stayed with Lexa's aunt, May. May was close to both of us and adored Adie, always lending a helping hand during those challenging months with a 5-month-old.

'I'll inquire about it,' I decided, making my way toward Adie. Upon reaching her, I paused, kneeling down to meet her gaze. At the sight of me, she beamed up with a huge smile, mirrored by my own.

'There's something I need to tell you,' I began, her eyes brimming with curiosity.

'Remember Auntie May...right?' I prompted.

'Yeah, I remember,' she replied promptly, nodding in understanding."

"Lexa mentioned that Auntie May wants to see you," I paused, giving her head a gentle pat. "So, would you like to have a sleepover at Lexa's house?" I added, noticing the excitement that briefly flashed across her face before she concealed it with a shy gesture, lowering her head. Understanding her mix of emotions, I quickly ruffled her hair and reassured her, "Don't worry about me, I'll be just fine," prompting her to glance back up at me.

"Is that okay?" she softly inquired.

"Of course," I responded promptly with a reassuring nod.

"Great, I'll go grab some clothes for tonight," I announced, met with her eager agreement, which elicited a small giggle from me. Turning back towards the counter, I addressed Lexa, who was busy taking orders from customers.

"Lexa, I'll go get some clothes for Adie," I informed her. She gave me a thumbs-up in acknowledgment, her attention still focused on the counter. Swiftly removing my apron, I exited the café. It only took a few minutes to reach the apartment and gather Adie's essentials. While there was a hint of worry, there was also a sense of comfort in knowing that tonight, I would have a chance to fully relax and enjoy some peaceful time—I hadn't experienced since becoming Adie's guardian. After packing a few clothes, her favorite toy, and a toothbrush, I swiftly returned to the café, ready for the evening ahead.

As I approached the café, I spotted Lexa and Adie already outside.

"Are you heading home already?" I called out as I hurried toward them.

"Yeah, May is really excited and she mentioned she's already preparing dinner. So, we better get going," Lexa replied, her hand firmly holding Adie's. I nodded in understanding, handing Lexa the bag of Adie's belongings.

"Here," I said, passing her the bag, which she promptly stowed in the back of the car. While Lexa busied herself with the bag, I turned to Adie.

"Don't forget to brush your teeth before bed," I reminded her, gently adjusting her hair with my hand. "And be a good girl at Auntie Lexa and Auntie May's house, okay?" I added, meeting her gaze with a soft expression. Adie nodded in response.

"I will, Jennie," she affirmed, pulling me into a tight hug. "I love you, Jennie," she added earnestly.

"I love you too, sweetie," I replied, lifting her into my arms and planting a quick kiss on her cheek. "I think I'm going to miss you," I teased, pulling a mock-sad face, which elicited giggles from her.

"It's just one night, Jennie," she murmured, wrapping her arms around my neck and meeting my gaze. We were enjoying our time together until Lexa interrupted.

"Okay, cutie girls, time to go," she declared, pulling open the car door for Adie.

"Bye-bye, Adie," I whispered softly, and Adie echoed my farewell. Before I set her down, we shared a small Eskimo kiss. Then, she quickly joined Lexa in the car.

"If you need anything, just call me," I added, giving Lexa a brief hug, which she returned.

"Same goes for you, Jen," she replied, turning to her car and sliding into the driver's seat. I turned back towards the café door, about to step inside, when Lexa called out again.

"Jen!" she paused until our eyes met. "Enjoy your night, girl!" With a playful air kiss, she drove off. I chuckled and shook my head. What a wonderful best friend she was.

As I entered the café, intending to head straight for Dan and the counter, I was stopped in my tracks by a familiar sight. It was Charles, wearing sunglasses and a white shirt.

"Charles," I greeted the man, returning his smile.

"Hey, Jen, how's it going?" he replied, surprising me with a brief hug. I quickly composed myself and reciprocated the gesture.

"I'm fine, thanks. How about you, Charles?" I asked, making my way to the counter.

"Doing well, thanks," he replied with a nod.

"So, what can I get for you?" I inquired.

"Well, I already placed my order with Dan while you were busy outside," he chuckled.

"Yeah, all set," Dan confirmed, handing Charles his order. "So, how was Adie's sleepover? Everything go smoothly?" Dan turned to me, joining our conversation.

"Yeah, it went great," I affirmed.

"That's good to hear, Jen. You deserve a full night's rest," Dan said, giving my shoulder a reassuring pat, to which I nodded in agreement.

"I think so, Dan," I added. While we chatted, I noticed Charles watching us with a small smile, though he remained silent. Redirecting my attention to him, I tried to draw him into our conversation.

"Do you need anything, Charles?" I inquired, glancing at him.

"Oh, actually, no... I was just lost in my thoughts, Jen," he replied swiftly, with a chuckle.

"Alright then, see you next time, Jen, and you too, Dan," he added, waving before stepping out of the café. We waved back as he disappeared from view. Once he was gone, Dan chimed in.

"He's a nice guy," Dan commented. I stayed silent, not sure how to respond, until he spoke up again.

"I think he likes you," he suggested, nudging my arm with his elbow. His words caught me off guard, and I turned towards him with wide eyes.

"Jesus, Dan!" I exclaimed, giving his arm a playful slap.

"Why? ...I really do think he likes you," he persisted.

"Stop it, Dan!" I retorted, grabbing the tray and heading over to the tables to collect some empty glasses from the remaining customers. Fortunately, there is only one customer left, who was sitting at the corner of the cafe and doing his own stuff by putting earphones. 

"Why?" Dan persisted as I collected the empty glasses onto the tray.

"Isn't it obvious?" I paused, meeting his gaze. "He's a Formula 1 driver, he's famous," I explained. "Think about it, Dan. Why would someone like him be interested in someone like me? Plus, I'm a single mother," I added, then refocused on the task at hand, continuing to clear the tables.

"But what if?" Dan asked again with a grin, seeming genuinely intrigued by the potential drama.

"Dan, there are no 'what ifs' in our..." I began, but our conversation was interrupted by the jingle of the doorbell. I turned towards the entrance, freezing in disbelief at the sight before me.

"Charles!" Dan called out from behind the counter, breaking the tension. I quickly composed myself, adjusting my stance awkwardly, and inquired,

"Do you need something, Charles, or...?" Before I could finish, he shook his head.

"Nothing," he replied softly. "I just..." he trailed off, lost in thought, while both Dan and I watched him intently, curiosity written on our faces. After a few moments of contemplative silence, he finally spoke up again.

"I just wanted to come up with an excuse," Charles admitted, turning towards me slowly, catching me off guard.

"As you mentioned, you're free tonight," he continued. "So, would you like to join with me for a midnight drive?" he asked softly. His question left me wide-eyed in disbelief.

"Me?" I pointed to myself, seeking confirmation, to which he nodded in agreement.

"If you're interested, I can pick you up from your apartment," he offered.

"Well, I... um," I began to respond, but before I could, Dan interjected himself into our conversation.

"She'll be ready at 7:30," Dan declared, walking over and standing beside me. "Right?" he whispered, nudging my arm with his elbow.

"Um, yeah... I'll be ready at 7:30," I agreed, offering a small smile, which elicited a chuckle from Charles.

"Great to hear," he said with a hint of amusement. "So, should I..." he started to say, but I quickly interjected.

"I'll wait here... at the café," I added. I didn't feel comfortable with the idea of him picking me up from my apartment, so I suggested meeting at the café instead. He nodded in agreement.

"So, I'll pick you up at 7:30 right here," Charles confirmed.

"Sure," I replied with a small nod and a smile. He then turned towards the door, but paused and looked back at me before stepping out of the café.

"See you tonight, Jen," he said with a big smile, causing me to blush. With that, he swiftly disappeared from the café. Dan and I sat in comfortable silence for a couple of minutes after Charles left.

"I told you, Jen," Dan said, breaking the silence. "I told you he likes you," he added, grinning at me. I simply looked at him without saying anything, lost in my own strange thoughts and delusions.. 

"It's been a while since I've been asked out on a date by a guy with such a charming smile"  I admitted to myself, feeling a mix of excitement and nervousness at the prospect of spending time with Charles.

That Smile...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

806K 12.2K 38
"Pregnant? As in, you're going to have a baby?" Two best friends, one birthday party and many consequences. When one night of love turns into somethi...
27.5K 1.1K 8
βœ§Λ–Β°ΰΏ β”Š π‘π„π…π‹π„π‚π“πˆπŽππ’. ΰΌ» βͺπŸ’—β« ❝ she'll always mean the world to me ❞ formula one charles leclerc x lily lorenz...
15.4K 460 11
In which Lando Norris becomes infatuated with a girl who is the equivalent of Sunshine and Rainbows. A FORMULA ONE BOOK LANDO NORRIS X FEM OC Cover b...
319K 3.8K 68
sky morgan, female f1 rookie for red bull lando norris, f1 driver for mclaren one love story β€’β€’β€’β€’ complete, currently editing highest rankings: #1...