The Understanding (Bk 1 Otago...

By DeeJCooper

Cassie finds herself involved in a peaceful protest about recent hospital budget cuts. But it then turns into... More

c copyright. Chapter 1- The Protest
Chapter 2- Leaving the Night Behind.
Chapter 3- Sports Game
Chapter 4- The Encounter
Chapter 5- The Gym
Chapter 6- A Night Out
Chapter 7- The invitation
Chapter 9- Dedication
Chapter 10- All on the table
Chapter 11-The Question
Chapter 12 - Meet the family
Chapter 13- The Answer
Chapter 14- Mid Winter Christmas
Chapter 15- Sleep Over
Chapter 16- The Date
Chapter 17-Part of the Family
Chapter 18- Time with Friends
Chapter 19- Sharing the News
Chapter 20- Coping with a Night Out
Chapter 21-The Fall Out
Chapter 22- Out of character
Chapter 23- Guilt and Uncertainty
Chapter 24- PeaceKeepers
Chapter 25- Surprises all Round
Chapter 26- Being Together
Chapter 27- Welcome home Party
Chapter 28- Boys Talk
Chapter 29- Re-Run
Chapter 30- Coming Together
Chapter 31- Wedding Party
Chapter 32- The Beginning
Authors Note
draft Friday Afternoon
draft chapter 6- The Interview
draft chapter 5- Police Cells
draft Chapter 4- Night Over
draft Chapter 3- The Rescue
draft chapter 2- Police Action

Chapter 8- Holidays Begin

651 25 4
By DeeJCooper

Cassies POV

Sunlight danced on the harbour. Sparkling like an extravagant display of priceless diamonds, out there for all to enjoy. I don't know how I could ever live anywhere else in Dunedin, let alone the world. I loved this place. I was sitting in my favourite chair in the house, having toast, with my second cup of tea for the day. I would probably have at least 2 more before I moved far. My head was mildly sore, but not bad. I had only ever been a social drinker but last night I had had several glasses more than I normally would. I smiled as I thought of the way Max had given Ross angry glares as he came and served us drinks with a warm smile. Ross had taken every opportunity to hold my hand, touch me and be familiar, but Ross was like that with most people, and I didn't feel it was sleezey at all. He was a genuine friend. I realised that he would like to take things further with me. He repeated his offer again last night to go out. But there was just no attraction there for me, he had more of the brother vibe.

I didn't want to spoil the calm of the morning, at the beginning of a blissful 2 week stretch of no school, by thinking about Max, but I couldn't help myself. As I looked out over the paddocks my eye following where they plunged steeply down the hill to the harbour below, I couldn't help the flood of memories from last night. I had been so annoyed by how possessive and guarded he had been when Ross was saying goodnight. Also I would love to hold Maxs hand, my heart speed a Bray at the thought, but not because he wanted to announce to all on lookers that I was with him. But dancing with Max had affected me like nothing else I had ever experienced. The way he was built, the way he moved, and the way he seemed to be able to read my response to him and what I enjoyed.

I had expected to feel more angry about what he had told me about the night of the protest, but in light of the kiss we had shared, how we met seemed to feel less important somehow. The passion we stirred in each other was very real. But was there anymore depth to it than that? Did we share the same goals in life, did we have the same priorities? Then again none of that seemed important when I saw him coming towards me across the dance floor. I dreamed off into the distance, leaning my head back. Just remembering how it had made me feel, made me squirm almost involuntarily in my chair. He had looked so hot, turning heads in the club all around him, yet he came straight for me. Ha, I laughed out loud to myself, I could imagine how Lara would be beating me over the head telling me to snap out of it! live life, don't over think it, embrace opportunities! 'Go for it!' Being her mantra in life.

But whatever this thing with Max was, it would clearly be over tomorrow, once he had been to church. So no point in stressing over what might have been. Enjoy the memory of how he made me feel. I sighed.

As I stood at the sink and rinsed my cup, I cringed at how I had made the invite to church sound. Never in all my years of going to Church, right back to when I was a small child, had I ever heard anyone encourage me to issue such a rude invitation., to church. ..To Church! unbelievable... I had a feeling of disappointment that when Max saw this part of my life tomorrow, that he wouldn't want to have anything more to do with me. But last night had been so much fun, I was determined not to spend the whole day in a total funk. I sent Rachel a quick text, asking what her plans were for the day, knowing that Lara wouldn't want to be disturbed for the better part of the day, considering the night she'd had!

Hearing a noise behind me, I turned to find Dad coming out of his study. He smiled at me, "Hey darling girl, welcome to your holidays. How was your night out? " and as he went by to the fridge he leant over giving me a quick kiss on the forehead and a hug.

I smiled, "Hey Dad, thanks. It was a good night." I had answered this way on many occasions, to cover for a heavy heart, but realising that this time the statement was entirely true, knocked me for a 6. Unbelieveable, when did that happen? I shrugged and laughed briefly. Dad looked back at me, now seated at the table with cereal and yoghurt. "No, I mean it, truly, I had a great time. " I smiled.

Dad looked down at his cereal bowl again, looking undecided. "What is it Dad?"

"I don't mean to nag but..." I jumped in, interrupting him. "Dad its no big deal. I told you I would come tomorrow, so I'll be there. Zach and Rachel are going to call past to pick me up, as you will probably leave before me. I have invited a friend to come as well. Also Lara is not one to be left out so she will meet us at the church. There is a guy she has been seeing, so I would be surprised if she hasn't invited him too." I paused for breath.

"Thanks," Dad said with a sad smile. "I know that the dedication service was one of the first things we went to after Sophias funeral, but having you there will make the day that much more special for me. So, enough about that, tell me who it is you have invited. "

"arrrh.. I didn't think you would let that one slip get you." I felt heat spread over my cheeks, turning red with embarrassment. "Do you remember the other night I went out to Dave and Traces place? Well a friend of theirs, Max, was there and he came out with the crowd last night too. He is a Sargeant in the Police. I don't know him that well, but I do enjoy his company." I paused, trying to find the best way to describe what we were to each other. "I have to admit, that when I invited him, I may not have been as gracious as I should have been. "

My Dad started laughing, gently at first, but as my look went from surprise to mock annoyance, he laughed hard enough to wipe tears from his eyes.

He loaded his dishes into the dishwasher, "Thanks Cass, you have no idea how much I needed that. You, gracious? inviting a young man to church for the first time? knowing you, it probably sounded more like a challenge. But he accepted, so he goes up in my estimation, and is clearly not easily intimidated." he shook his head as he headed off out of the kitchen, still chuckling.  

"What are your plans today? I hope you are not going to bother with house work."

"I might do a quick tidy around, but I just got a text from Rach. I am meeting her at the mall for coffee at 11, and she wants to pick out some new running shoes."

"See you later. "

He was still smiling and shaking his head as he disappeared. It was so nice to see him smile. His eyes had lost the light in them when Mum had died. We had muddled along together, going through the motions of real life for so long. It had all just felt like an echo of a tune we had known, but couldn'tquite remember. Now, just in the past couple of weeks the fog had started to lift. So when I smiled it felt like it connected to a real emotion, and not just my face trying it on for size. Church tomorrow would be nice, and Dad really wanted me there. But I would have to be strategic with my friends and where we sat, if I didn't want to get swamped by well meaning people who really just wanted to get close to me for who I was, and not because they had any genuine concern for me. I could see the faux sympathy a mile away.

I met Rachel sometime later and as we chatted, sharing a salad sub and muffins. The conversation turned to the protest. "Susans friend Corey has a Court date next week. The main charges are disturbing the peace and assault on a police officer."

"No way. How could he possibly have done that? Do they have any evidence?"

"Apprently they do. Also its not the first time he has been in a protest recently." What Max had said about people actively looking for opportunities to disturb the peace came back to mind.

"Yeah, I think they are often referred to as professional protesters. I am surprised Susan puts up with him. He sounds like trouble. " Susan was an acquaintance of mine from Zumba group classes but Rachel knew her well through seeing her at the gym.

"I am just going to go to the bathroom I could meet you up on the next level at the sports shop if you like. " Rachel agreed and made her way out of the door.

When I caught up with her I could see she was standing talking to someone in police uniform. My heart nearly stopped beating, I had trouble breathing and had to tell my feet to keep moving. I also had to remind myself that it couldn't be Max, as he was on leave. Imagine my surprise when Rachel raised her hand to greet me only to find myself looking into Maxs eyes as he turned to me with a heart stopping smile.

He wasn't even supposed to be on duty, what was he doing here? and looking so good, my mind started running through questions, only to find that my feet had in fact stopped moving. As Max turned fully to face me I remembered to move again and walked over to them.

"Well, nice to see you again Max," smiled Rachel, "but I better get going if I want to find the right shoes for this half marathon training Zach has me on. "

Rachel smiled and made her way into the sports shop. I had no real interest in joining her and had planned to say I would meet her at muffin break for a drink when she was done. As I was processing this Max continued to smile down at me.

"Good Morning.." He said. My nerves got the better of me and instead of returning the greeting I found myself saying with a puzzled frown, "I didn't think you were working today or for the rest of the week?" But his good humour was not so easily dispelled, he walked us to the barrier. He turned and leaned his back on it and holding the top if his bullet proof vest, while I stayed facing straight ahead beside him, gazing down at the food court below.

"Disappointed you won't be able to spend the school holidays with me like you planned?" he smirked tongue in cheek. "Dont worry, I still have the rest of the week," he said with s grin. "Yes I was supposed to be off, Mike, my senior Sargeant wasn't happy having to call me in. But as I didn't have any other plans, I didn't mind."

"Are you on mall patrol?" he laughed lightly, although it wasn't til I said it that I realised it could have been seen as offensive. But in top form Max just smiled and said, "No it was a busy weekend, domestics and parties. In breaking up one party, the squad discovered quite a few stolen goods from stores in the mall. So I have just informed two of the shop owners. What they do now is between them and their insurance company. They won't be able to have the goods until any court action is through, even then, for various reasons it can take a while."

As he had been talking he had gradually turned to me, standing closer. My body felt like it was over heating, my breath picked up, and my nerves endings all over my body started to sing. What was wrong with me?

"Did you have a good time last night?"

"Yes," I answered too quickly, seeming too over keen, then the last part of the night played in full colour and slow mo, it was burned into my memory, My hottest kiss experience ever. "Oh, I mean, the club, it was...good, the company great, I mean having everyone else there. .." feeling like I was digging myself a hole I decided to stop talking, and instead of just thinking of burying my face in my hands, I found I had actually done it. Ultimate embarrassment, not feeling like I could show my face again, I just didn't know what to do.  

Max reached up and gently took each of my hands on his, pulling them from my face, and lifting my head to meet his eyes. Even with his kevlar vest on, and numerous items hanging from his heavy police belt, you couldn clearly see just how well built he was. His beautiful blue eyes held no humor, like I was expecting, instead he stroked the side of my face and said, "Are you going to ask me if I had a good time or not?"

I hesitated, I suspected he would have something deep and meaningful to share and I wasn't sure if I was up to it at the moment. With a quick pep talk to myself to remember to be gracious and poised, I asked, "Did you have a good time last night? " shifting my feet uncomfortably.

He took a deep breath, and settled in closer to me. "Well it started out quite average, meeting to have drinks with friends. Then I spotted this gorgeous girl on the dance floor, and couldn't let her out of my sight for the rest of the night." I smirked and broke eye contact, unfortunately my eyes dropped of their own accord to Max's lips. "You know how to spin a yarn don't you." I lifted my eyes back to his and scoffed, "Come on, you must have nights like that all the time. Keeping the girls happy."

All the while people were moving all around us, but I felt as if we were in our own bubble. Max smirked, "Perhaps, but I have never felt as connected to anyone as I do with you. Also I think our night had quite a finale, if I say so myself." He was now leaning so close, I couldn't help myself, I dropped my head to his shoulder and groaned with embarrassment. I felt his chuckle rumble in his chest and throat vibrating against my cheek. Remembering how intimate we had been was madding me go a deep shade of red.

I pulled myself off him, knocking his chest with the back of my hand, "Stop it, you're laughing at me. "

Max pulled back from me. carefully placed his hands in his pockets, looking down he said, "I wasn't laughing, I was enjoying the thought of the time we shared together last night." He stopped and paused. "The attraction I feel for you, and that you clearly feel for me to some extent, is nothing to be embarrassed about. I would like to keep seeing you. How do you feel about that?"

His humility and the sincerity of his voice, made my stomach clench, and colour flood my face. He was right, nobody else had ever made me feel this way before. But I had to face the idea that what he was to learn about me tomorrow, might change things. I couldn't allow myself to be pulled into the intensity of his appeal just yet. "Sure," I said casually, "We'll see how you feel about me after tomorrow, and take it from there. "

He looked at me shrewdly, "What are you not telling me. Something you don't want to say, but want me to see? "

Wanting to end this, and knowing that he had probably stood in the mall talking to me quite long enough, I pushed myself off the railing, trying to shake the sadness threatening to overtake me,"You see, right there, that's why you are good at your job. Intuition, you better get back to it and I will go find what Rachel is doing. See you tomorrow. " Giving him a parting playful push on the chest that made not the slightest impact at all, I waved and marched off. I could feel his eyes watching me, smiling, as I disappeared into the store.

Tomorrow would be a bittersweet day, but one I had to face. Max clearly wanted to spend more time with me, and that thought elated me more than I cared to admit. My life had felt so routine, but when I looked into Maxs blue eyes, I felt like I was being thrown a lifeline, and warmth spread into every part of me. A reason to be excited about life and one I felt reluctant to giveup, but it wouldn't be my decision.

Unavoidable.

### 

What do you think ? I would really appreciate any feedback, or comments so I know where to take this story next.

vote! 

vote?? 

vote.. 

VOTE!....Do you think that Sunday should be a bump in the road for this couple? or should it be plain sailing?  

THANKS.....AnY comments are gratefully received.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 541 19
After losing her father to his job, Victoria's life quickly takes a 180 when her mother marries a strange man just months after to her husband's deat...
130K 4K 57
Cassie Quinn, now a Senior in college has her life figured out. She's smart and funny with the heart to match, but lacks confidence. As she was previ...
246K 2.2K 67
"Why can't we be together?" "Because then i'll have to kill you." - Cassie lived with her big sister Ariene, She never really knew her parents, Cassi...
1.4K 101 18
In the second book of the series, Cassie finds herself stuck somewhere in Auckland with the very killer she has been trying to escape. As drama begi...