MATED TO THE NIGHT WOLF (MTTN...

By mckaylachinyamaqueen

Shade Shadows is what the pack calls a Keffer, a cursed name for a being without a wolf and therefore denied... More

MTTNW
DEDICATION
HEIRARCHY
[1.1] SLAVE
[2.1] THE NIGHT COURT
[3.1] ARC WOLVES
[4.1] THE EYES IN THE SHADOWS
[5.1] THE ARC ALPHA
[6.1] A GIFT OF A CURSE
[7.1] THE MASTER
[8.1] DECIEVER
[9.1] A KEFFERS LUCK
[10.1] A KINGS FRIEND
[11.1] A TRUST TO BUILD
[12.1] A WAR IS WHISPERED
[13.1] A SECRET MEET
[14.1] A FRIENDSHIP TO YEILD
[15.1] CRISTON THE CRUEL
[16.1] THE DIAMOND RAVEN
[17.1] THE OTHER MATE
[18.1] A ROGUES FRIEND
[19.1] FOOLS AMONGST FOOLS
[20.1] A KEFFERS DREAM
[21.1] A DYING HOPE
[22.1] DIANE
[23.1] A MASTERS PLAY
[24.1] THE KINGS GUARD
[25.1] BOUNDERIES
[26.1] ALEXANDER THE PRIME
[27.1] VAELN
[28.1] MONSTER ACROSS THE SEA
[29.1] THE HUMAN
[31.1] A NEW FRIEND?
[32.1] TROUBLE
[33.1] IMPRINT
[33.1] ADZAR
[34.1] THE ELVES
[35.1] CURTESY
[36.1] THE GLOW
[38.1] FIRE AND ICE (part-two)
[39.1] THE JOURNAL
[40.1] THE 8TH NIGHT WOLF (part-one)
[41.1] THE 8TH NIGHT WOLF (part-two)
[42.1] THE 8TH NIGHT WOLF (part 3)
[43.1] GREENWOOD (part-one)

[37.1] FIRE AND ICE (part-one)

1.7K 132 60
By mckaylachinyamaqueen

•|•|•
"For what Terrors does the Night Wolf hold? Is it only the night? Or things far worse?"
•|•|•

[KAYOS]

The Night air blows through the strands of my hair. I remain still, a silhouette against the dark. My mind is far gone, deep in my thoughts.

I am not angry, disappointed perhaps.  I still did not have concrete information about Shade. But It is her voice I heard in the endless. I swear it.

However, if she had been there, it is not something she would simply forget.

She says her dreams are far from mirroring mine. But her heartbeat heightens when she says so, and her lips quiver. Her eyes refuse to meet mine and her words overlap when she speaks.

These are things I do not overlook. When people lie, they often ramble. Shade says friends do not lie.

Perhaps she cannot remember her night in the endless. That is the only explanation. For, despite her denial, the feel of her delicate fingers against my forehead is something I cannot forget.

I catch a breath at the memory.

My heart swells within me.

Clues.

It is all the same with Selene. A bone here, a bone there. No flesh to feed my soul. My eyes trail the court below, the blobs of light exuding from the lamps the guards hold, disappearing in the darkness.

Shade is the key. That I am certain. Or this feeling within my soul would not exist.

If she had been in the endless, would she even know of it?

I am the liar in this equation. I am the one in the deceit of my true nature. I am the one who cannot answer her questions about my mate.

My eyebrows gather, and I feel foolish.

I had left her not in a rage, but because I did not wish to indulge in her line of questions.

That would only lead me to lie more. How was I to tell her that she was the key to finding my mate? Or that I was to mate regardless, to a woman I am betrothed if Selene does not show me mercy.

A betrothed I had no interest in knowing. One whose very thought made me forsake my sanity.

I know that this match is essential.

They hope that if I am mated to someone else, I will grow a bond that will suffice the loneliness paired within me. With her wolf, perhaps with my seed as it grows within her. And then I will be complete and the world will turn, the sun will shine and peace will reign.

Deep down I know, somehow, that this bond will do nothing to seal the crack in my soul.

I am certain, however, that should I go through this mating, should I betray my wolf, trick his bond onto someone else, I will never be forgiven, and one day-

One day, near or far, it is he that will forsake me. And I, in turn, shall forsake the world and turn it into nothingness.

It is a baseless fear.

I do not know how I know this, or even why I fear it and yet it exists. An untold warning, as if an instinct.

I take a breath out and finally turn to the empty room in which my bed lies.

There is no light. The candles have all been blown off. I can see perfectly, however.

My bed stays off the far end. I have not spent a night in these sheets for a good while. They would have collected dust had the Mother not commanded they be changed every day.

I see no point in a bed that wide. It only reminds me that I am alone.

But tonight. Tonight is different.

I need to remind myself of the urgency of my predicament.

I moved toward the bed, and I was hesitant before I slipped into the covers. My eyes close and I take a deep breath. My back is rigid and though it is comfortable I am anything but.

How many nights will I continue to live like this?

I swallow and stare into the void of nothingness above me.

If I am not quick, if I do not find true signs to lead me to her, there will be many, many more. My eyes shift to the empty side of the end.

Even when a mate forced upon me takes the other side. In my heart-

I will still be alone.

—————————————————————

"Vaeln has reunited with his mate," Mother states from across the room.

I do not know why I am summoned for the 3rd time this week. I do not care about Vaeln or his mate. I choose to remain silent at the statement. Far more valuable things tussle in my mind.

There is a war beating down on our backs, there is a creature trapped beneath this court. Someone is wielding Adzar, and to stop the world from diving into chaos, I must find this summoner.

Only through his death can normalcy be restored.

Above all, I must find the one thing to keep me balanced. I have not returned to my sanctuary in three dark days. I do not have a response to Shade's questions and I know, that those curious eyes of hers will only haunt me until I give her an answer, one way or the other.

I am unsure how to do so without deceit.

My fingers rattle against the table. Still, I must see her soon. I cannot get her out of my head. 

"I can tell your mind is not with me," Mother continues, sighing as she sits. She turns to Master Gregory, "Has there been any word from the other Courts?"

Master Gregory's gaze rises from his scroll, and he sighs, "Invitations were sent to the courts. As far as the Fire Wolf and the Ice Wolf responses, they have only decided to inform the Alphas beneath their rule of our Arcs mating. As for the Adzar..." his gaze meets mine, "They are yet to respond."

I raise an eyebrow in disbelief. I hope he means it as one would describe a joke. But there is no resemblance of humor in his eyes.

Mother is quiet at the response.

"Do they not realize that we are at the brink of war against chaos itself?" My tone is quiet but fervent. I stare at Gregory and his eyes are honest when he speaks again.

"I do not know, Your Majesty. I relayed the urgency of the matter in the private invitations addressed to the Arcs. I am sure it was emphasized the necessity of their response as soon as possible."

This I could expect from Fir, but Dane?

"How arrogant! We house the creature that rips our very home into desolation beneath our court and they have the nerve to not even respond?" Mother huffs.

"Valcane has not experienced a true threat since the elven war, and... that of the Evernight," Gregory clears his throat as my gaze snaps to him.

"What are you saying Gregory, do you believe they think the chances of our annihilation are nothing but a joke?" Mother scoffs.

Master Gregory remains silent but purses his lips.

How foolish and ridiculous was this conversation? My cousins have locked themselves in their region and believe they can hide from me.

It is something that can be disproved quite easily I might add.

I take to my feet.  Why is it, it is I that must do everything to keep Valcane afloat and yet it is I that is most despised?

"Kayos? Where are you going?"

I turn sharply, "If they do not believe what is written, perhaps, they'll believe what is seen."

"My lord?"

"If they wish to be difficult, I can be persistent."

Both mother's gaze and that of Gregory never leave my face and are quiet for they can feel my rapid irritation, and I storm out.

I am already in a rage, and I know my subjects feel my wrath for I do not see any faces on my way. They have moved far and moved far quickly. I am not sure if I am impressed or only more enraged.

Only two beings follow after me. My mother and Master Gregory. They are far behind, and Mother's calls are blocked the further she spans for I am faster, and first to reach the dungeons.

I walk into the dark-lit room where the creature is stored. There is no tent to cover it and as soon as it senses my heartbeat, its red eyes align with mine, watching curiously.

It does not growl at all, or scratch or hiss.

However, Its fangs remain on full display and I circle the creature.

As destructive as it is...there is a certain familiarity I sense.

One I cannot put a finger on. I move toward the silver locks that bind its cage, and its eyes follow me, intently studying every movement I  make.

Alchest appears from the shadows. He follows my orders and undoes the locks. They clank to the floor.

The creature remains still as if calculating. It is almost as if it is suspicious. I realize something about this creature.

It thinks. It understands.

I open the door and move away from it, signaling its independence. I do not mind the tingling of a burn it leaves against my fingers at the feel of silver. It is something my wolf deals with so quickly it is as if it was never touched to begin with.

The creature's eyes never leave mine, even when it approaches the door, its claws gripping the silver bars.

Although its skin sizzles it takes a moment before letting go and emerges through the door, a feral prowl, deliciously unsettling, its stare a coal hold in mine.

The humanoid entity emerged from the cage, its form shifting fluidly between bipedal strides and unsettling, feral prowling on all fours, creating an unsettling juxtaposition of human and primal characteristics.

Its movement is slow and calculated, stealthy and ominous. At first, I think it is sizing me up. But as I stare longer I realize it is much more.

It is strange but I can tell from its eyes it realizes that I am no ordinary being. That I am different from the humans it feasts on so easily.

Then the most peculiar thing occurs. Its fangs retract and it stands still, watching me through the shadows, as if waiting for something.

Odd.

"Kayos!"

The sharp outburst of my name disrupts the moment, prompting the creature and I to immediately redirect our gazes toward my mother and Gregory.

The creature emits a fierce snarl, shedding any semblance of its former self in mere seconds. The familiar being vanishes, replaced by the awakened monster, hurtling toward my mother with a swiftness that leaves only a lingering breeze.

All this I see and the fear itself is memorable. I admit I am in awe of the creature's velocity and it pounces on the much too stunned figures of Gregory and Mother.

Too paralyzed to shift, too stunned to do anything more, but turn away.

Gregory at least tries to protect my mother in some— way. Though it is quite an ineffective way.

His arms snake around her shoulders.

I am more effective.

My shadows gather, quicker than the creature, and as it lunges, a portal forms just in front of its destination, and it is lost within the portal, seconds away from devouring my mother and Gregory.

The Grand Luna of the Nighy Court is breathing harshly, her eyes are wide, and she does nothing for a moment but stare into nothingness over Gregory's shoulder.

Stunned I assumed.

I, however, a still impressed at the creature's speed. Fascinating.

"Your M-majesty?"  Gregory splatters.

Mother finally looks my way, her heart is pounding faster than the human had. She stares at me, then her gaze whips to the portal before her. Her eyes take in the shadows that whisk through.

"D-do not tell me you set it free," she struggles to say.

I don't respond. I think that has been established. The creature is no longer with us. The cage is empty. The locks are on the floor.

"Where is it, your majesty?" Gregory asked. I note that his voice is uncertain and he looks at me as if I am unhinged.

It is not the first time he has given me this look. I wish to assure him it is not the last time.

"Entertaining Fir."

Mother's eyes widen and she finally seems to snap out of the absurdity of her fear.

"You can not be serious, Kayos! Do you know what you have done?"

"Making sure they understand the gravity of our situation. Yes. Children like Fir prefer practical presentations as opposed to theory"

"Firdon could die!"

"Fir is an Arc. If he can not protect himself from that. He is not fit to be an Arc. In both cases, a problem is solved."

Mother stares at me in bewilderment. Master Gregory is also at a loss for words, but he regains his stature quicker, clearing his throat.

"I think he will be fine, Grand Luna. The Fire Wolf, as all arcs are is strong. He is certainly hard to kill." He finally states, eyes trailing to me.

My jaw tightens because He is right, but it does not mean I like the statement.

"I don't care! We're supposed to be reuniting the 4 territories, not sending cursed creatures to reap havoc in their courts! Bring it back this instant!"

I stare at her blankly. I do not understand why she is being insufferable. And to command me? I am the Arc Alpha of the Night Court. I do not take commands.

I listen, for she is my mother. I entertain for I am her son. But I am king, and I am in control.

I wish to remind her of these things, but I refrain with a sigh.

Nevertheless. Did she not hear Gregory? Fir is hard to kill.

I badly wish to test that theory.

"Kayos?!"

"A moment, mother. "

She stares at me in disbelief and in turn, my gaze lingers on the portal. Soon there are echoes of screams and grunts and swipes with squelches.

A helmet rolls out of it and my gaze trails to the metal.

"Y-Your majesty," Gregory's tone has turned into an alarming plead, uncertainty in his eyes.

My gaze snaps to him and he immediately sobers.

He knows now is not the time to speak. Screams erupt from the portal louder and we stare on.

I let my mind wander off for a moment. I think of Shade. How will I respond to her questions?

"Kayos-"

"It is a shame that Firdon doesn't understand words." I cut, sighing for a moment. Growls can be heard from the other side, screams, "Violence, however.."

I trail off, finally stepping into the portal.

•|•|•

I hope you enjoyed the update!

I generated an AI picture of what looked closest to the creature that I will share on Patreon/discord.

I do want to share some snippets of moments from chapters with AI-generated art, which I will be adding on top of chapters on Patreon for just a bonus to Patreons or on my discord channel.

All links in the bio

Chapter 38. Will be up on Patreon within the hour,❤️.

•|•|•

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.9K 2.2K 46
A spin-off from the Rootbridge series. Callie's wolf is out of control and therapy isn't helping her understand the fragments of memories she has abo...
5.9K 326 27
What is the destiny of a she-wolf on the run to the human land? . . . At a young age, Alexia lost her parents. With her current status and rumours su...
567K 21.4K 41
Cathy is the omega of the Shade Pack; the runt, the failure, the disappointment. Things are never going to change- or so she thinks. A rogue pack...
1M 27K 46
"I'm not good enough for you." I say to him. He looks at me and wipes the tears from my cheeks. "You're more than enough for me." I start to shake my...