Collision

By NidaAlavi

Serena Taylor was proud of her popular seaside cafè. So, it was no wonder that she was shocked, when she was... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26

Chapter 8

14 2 4
By NidaAlavi

Serena couldn't believe her ears.
Although the voice was speaking in a low tone, the accent couldn't be missed. The Italian accent..

'I do all you said, but you no give me my money..'
Chef Mario went on, unaware of her presence.
'Even after she scold me, I mess up orders, made them late, but in a way that she would not find out, so that she lose customers, but you..you don't do your part. From now on, give me the money, or get someone else to do dirty job!'
With that, he cut the call, and cursed some in Italian.

Serena stood there for a minute, too shell-shocked, before she realised that Mario was going to come out towards her.
Adrenalin pumping, she quickly backed away, before he could see her.
The storage room was next to her, and she quickly fumbled for the keys in her pocket. Thankfully, she got them out in the first go. Hands trembling, she pretended to open the door, while privately trying to compose herself from the big shock.

Chef Mario came out, and stopped short on seeing her.
Serena gulped, before acting as if she was surprised to see him there.
'What are you doing here,  Chef?'
She watched him closely, her heart still racing, and noticed him flushing.

'I..I..'
He stammered, before he collected himself too.
'I run out of..oyster sauce..yes..'
He nodded, as if congratulating himself for finding the right lie.
'So, I come to check if your kitchen has..'

'Aah, I see..'
Serena nodded.
'I guess you didn't find what you were looking for..'
She folded her arms in front of her chest, and saw him pale.
'The oyster sauce that is..'

'Sì, sì..you are all out.'
He lifted his hands up in the air.
'I go send someone to market to get..mi scusi..'
With that, he hurried away, mumbling in Italian.

Serena watched him go, before she hurried back into the kitchen.
There was no upending of anything here, as it had been in her office, but a cupboard and drawer had been left ajar. And there was a bottle of oyster sauce right there on the shelf!
Still stunned over the discovery of Chef Mario being the culprit, Serena went and drank some water.
Calming down a little, she was surprised at her own behaviour too.
Why hadn't she called him out the minute she had found out what he had done?
Maybe because thinking about it now, she knew that the only way to find out the why, and who was behind it all, was to keep silent for now. And she had to know what had happened to her papers if Mario hadn't taken them.
Her mind drifted immediately to Rick Malone, but she knew that he would just deny it.
So, judging by Mario's one sided conversation with the master mind, it seemed as if what they wanted to do was, to destroy her business..and eventually, take over the property.
The question was, that if it wasn't Rick, then who else would be after her for the same purpose as he had been.
It looked like she would have to do some detective work on her own...

***************************

The next few days, Serena kept a close eye on Chef Mario.
If he was wary of her behaviour, he didn't show it.
He was a good cook, but obviously not a good person.

She saw him glance at her often, but continued doing his work.
Serena pretended to check up on everyone, so that it wouldn't look suspicious, although some of the staff looked nervous at her constant presence.
She just assured them, that she was checking to maintain the standard of her restaurant.

It was during one such round, that she got a call from Rick Malone.
Surprised to be hearing from him, although not too surprised that he had her phone number, Serena left the main kitchen, but not before she noticed Mario wiping his hands on his apron, watching her.

Unable to hear Rick over the din, she moved to a secluded spot.
'Yeah, sorry! Couldn't hear you..'

'That's okay! I hope I didn't catch you at a bad time..'
His voice was loud in her ear, and she felt a shiver run down her back. It seemed as if he was standing right next to her.

'The usual..you called..anything particular?'
She asked, sounding hesitant.

'Yes, actually..'
Rick paused.
'We got off to a bad start from our first meeting..so, I thought we could rectify that..'

Serena listened with her mouth agape.
'Excuse me??'

'Yes..let me make it up to you..'
His voice was soft, almost seductive, and Serena felt her heartbeat quicken.

'Make it up to me? How? I mean, why??'
She rolled her eyes at herself.

'There is no why, but there is a how..'
She could hear the amusement in his voice.
'Have dinner with me?'

Serena couldn't have been more surprised.
'Wha..! You..dinner..me..'
She spluttered, before realising how stupid she was sounding. She cleared her throat.
'Dinner? Why would you want to have dinner with me? Your enemy right now?'

Rick paused a couple of seconds, before he spoke again.
'I did say I wanted to rectify that. Let's call it a truce of sorts..'

Serena was having trouble understanding his sudden request.
From accusing each other, to going out for dinner?
Rick Malone was not being his usual self, and suddenly, she wanted to know why.
'Alright..'

'Excuse me?'
This time, he was the one sounding surprised, and Serena smirked.

'I said alright!'

'Yes, yes! I heard that! So, that's great! I'll pick you up tonight..'

'Tonight?'
Serena almost squeaked.

'Is that not a good idea? How about tomorrow then?'
He asked.

'Uh..yeah..okay..'
Serena replied.

'Great! So I'll pick you up at say..sevenish?'

'You don't need to pick me up, I can reach wherever you decide..'

'I may not be your favourite person, or the brute you think I am, but I'm definitely not so ill mannered, that I let a woman go for a dinner date on her own..'

Date? Is that what the dinner was?
'Alright..I'll be ready at seven..'

'See you..'

With that Rick disconnected the call, and gave him self a mental pat on the back.
She agreed..step one...

Serena, on the other hand, was still perturbed by his call and his request.
It wasn't something she had expected him to do, and it was hard to digest.
I guess I'll find out what all this is about tomorrow..

***************************

Serena threw another outfit on the bed.
The black dress was too dressy, the off white dress too clingy.
She sighed in frustration.
She didn't want to give him the wrong impression by over dressing, neither did she want to look like she had no outfits for a restaurant.

Serena yelped as she saw the time. It was already 6:30, and she still had made no decision.
Lifting a royal blue dress from those strewn over her bed, Serena hurriedly put it on, throwing the towel she had wrapped around herself after her shower, on a chair near the bed.

Living on the beach had taught her to dress minimally, so she just put on some black eyeliner, and a light pink lipstick. Tying her hair back at the nape with a clasp, she stepped back to see her image.
The dress suited her, the frilled neckline and short sleeves, showing off her lightly tanned arms. The dress had a full skirt, that ended below her knees, leaving her lower legs bare.
Putting on small silver hoops in her ears, and a silver bangle on one arm, Serena dabbed on some perfume.

Her phone rang. It was him.

'Good evening. I'm here. Should I come up?'
His voice was clear.

The thought of him coming up and seeing her private space was a bit daunting, and she quickly denied him.
'No! No! I'm ready! I'll come down..'

'Alright, sure!'

Thank God, he didn't insist.
Serena quickly slipped on her silver heels, and felt a bit weird in them. It had been ages since she had needed to wear them, preferring comfortable sandals or sneakers for daily wear.
But, it also felt good to know that she could still handle them well.
She hurried out with a clutch, locking her apartment, and climbing down the stairs, a tad slow due to the heels, ofcourse.

Since the restaurant was facing the sea, the entrance to her apartment was in the back.
There was a side entrance, and she left through that.
As soon as she came out in the open, she stopped.

Because Rick had his car parked right in front, and he was standing outside, leaning against it.
Since he had been watching the door, he straightened up immediately, and began walking towards her.
To say that Serena Taylor looked beautiful was an understatement.
The woman was a stunner!
He felt himself react, before he reached her side.

'Serena Taylor, please..'

Serena frowned at him. She had been watching him as he neared, and started when he spoke.
'Sorry?'
The man was so good looking in the grey suit, that she didn't get what he was saying for a minute.

He gave her a look.
'You look..different..'

Serena raised her eyebrows at that.
'That statement can mean anything, Mr. Malone..'

'Rick..I think we are past the surnames now, don't you think?'
His tone and expression was a pointed reminder of their last meeting..or the brief kiss to be precise..

'Umm..sure..so, shall we go?'
She moved ahead.

'Someone's in a hurry..' He said under his breath, but she heard him.

Oh, yes! The sooner I discover what all this is about Rick Malone, the better...

To be continued..

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

232 2 10
Mariah's relationship with Jason was everything to her, his love for her kept her going. She was certain nothing could break them, but soon an exper...
37.5K 950 22
He'd loved her. She'd left. But he would always want her back
144K 10.8K 28
••• ❝If I can count every grain of sand in the shores of the beach we made a trip to twice a month; if I can trace lines from the first star al...
15.1K 354 22
One of my favorite GOT ships--Joffrey Baratheon x Sansa Stark