AFTER DARK | naruto

By Xingqiu

After dark - that's when all those bad thoughts you try to bury away come back to surface. And with no one ar... More

1 | similar to you, but not to me.
2 | similar to me, but not to you.
3 | a warm welcome to the academy
4 | shinobi in training
5 | for the rest of your life
6 | ninja dogs
7 | what you feel
8 | my beloved teammate(s)
9 | chuunin exams
10 | forest of death
11 | deal with a devil
12 | congrats in order
13 | fight to leave a past behind
14 | someone dear to me
15 | severed connections
16 | a quitters resolve
17 | contract bound
18 | whose in control
19 | haunted cliff of konoha
20 | the hidden sand
21 | to your important request: i refuse!
22 | answer to the call of love!
23 | a special chapter to a special boy; happy birthday lee!
24 | the uchiha clan
25 | the many sides of a drunken fist
26 | a reminder of fate
27 | to all those who ever loved me, goodbye
28 | away from home, away from you
29 | to reveal the center of your heart
30 | search for jinchurriki! capture, or captured?
31 | into the akatsukis lair
32 | stronger than we were yesterday
33 | half relevant half not: new years special!
34 | the uchihas curse of hatred. and on a lighter note: reunion with friends!
35 | kakashis wise words and inner turmoil!
36 | the cutest team in the leaf!
37 | legendary hero thief!
38 | feelings over reason
39 | superstition
40 | invincibility and the trouble it causes
41 | loss of a loved one
42 | love that can possibly turn into hate
43 | a true ninja!
44 | Valentines Special! love and friendship!
45 | starry eyed people
46 | a dish best served cold
48 | to see you before i go
49 | eyes opened to reality
50 | watchful eyes in the darkness
51 | lose your mind, lose your way
52 | brink of insanity
53 | homesickness for traitors
54 | fond memories of you and i
55 | Dissatisfactory closure οΏΌ
56 | fire kings speciality
57 | with war on the horizon, i do what i can for you
58 | ambushed!
59 | rough interrogation
60 | high stake battle
61 | a special chapter to a special boy: happy birthday, Neji!
62 | jailbreak!
63 | madara uchiha was a fraud?!?
64 | fighting fire with fire
65 | my brighter future
66 | a scary special, happy halloween!
67 | the noshowkage!
68 | idolization
69 | into the dream world
70 | into the light
71 | gratitude [END]

47 | a pill hard to swallow

808 48 4
By Xingqiu

"It's been a while since we were last here. In this clearing..." You observed, sat on top of a tree stump. You couldn't even remember if it was there before, you figured deforestation should be a lot more apart, but you hadn't a clue.

But noticing the marks of wearing, you recalled Lee confessing to you that he used to kick it all the time during training. So yes, it was there the entire time.

"Yes, it has been quite a while!" Lee smiled; he had no clear reason for choosing this place of all the options you both had. But if he really had to guess, he'd probably chalk it down to sentimentality. Just the two of you, in this clearing that you both declared as your own personal spot. Times were nice back then, when all you truly had to worry about was training and the academy. It wasn't to say that life was terribly horrible now – it was fine. Despite being wanted by a terrorist organization, despite having been killed more than once, despite losing your own family and now having your friends distance themselves... It was fine.

There was always something good in the overwhelming bad, like having Lee here beside you now. Having him around was always nice, and in all honesty, you couldn't recall a time he wasn't there. Of course, the same went for Shisui. But even someone just revived from the dead had their own ailments, he had business to care for. Besides, he swore his loyalty. Whether it be platonic or romantic, he had said so – and an Uchiha didn't go back on their word. At least, you hoped.

"There is something on your mind." Lee observed – looking over at you with a curious look on his face. "You can speak your mind, [Firstname]." He assured with a smile, offering you a bag of what looked like spicy chips.

You looked down at him, he had sat beside the tree stump you decided to rest on – so his body was turned slightly to offer you that reassurance. You smiled, reaching to grab the bag from his hands. "It's nothing, really. I just remembered that I promised my cat I'd bring him something from the store. He'll get mad if I don't bring what I promised."

"You have a cat?" Lee asked, blinking a few times at the shock. 'AHH! How could I not know this?! I am simply the worst! How could I ever even begin to consider a date when I cannot do this much!?'

In an instant, he was on the floor in defeat. 'This is horrible! Has she told me about it before!?'

"Uh, Lee... It seems like there's something on your mind." You pointed out, sweat dropping. "Everything alright?"

Lee got up, fists balled as she turned his body toward you. "Your cat is so cute!" He blurted out loud, tears streaming down his eyes. "It is the cutest I have ever seen!"

"Jeez... Have you ever even seen him before, Lee?" You sweat dropped, brows furrowed in a mix of concern and confusion. As far as you were aware, Lee had yet to meet your over-the-top cat.

"Ah-" Lee paused, his mouth falling open in shock as if you'd caught him in the worst scandal of his life.

"Well... I..." He was at a loss for words before he was consumed with dreaded guilt. "I am sorry!" He wept. "I am the worst teammate ever! I was only pretending to have seen it because I know how important a detail like that could be to a girl!"

You were stunned into silence, a bead of sweat rolling down your temple. "It's really not such a big deal... The cats got a such a smart mouth, I'd consider myself lucky that you haven't met him..." You grimaced, casting a glance to the side as you recalled how many times the cats made a fool out of you in such a short amount of time. "And I'm pretty sure cats are important to guys, too...."

Lee's eyes flew open in an instant, his tears seemingly disappearing after what you said. 'So she likes guys with a pet! I see! Yes, I know how it is! Kiba, you will not beat me here!' He furrowed his brows, balling his fist.

"I care about animals, too!" Lee assured, a rounded blush on his cheeks. "They are truly adorable!"

"Yeah, sure..." You turned your head to the head slightly before turning it back to him. "But animals don't really like you, do they?"

You could recall a handful of times when Lee had gotten attacked when he was Genin. By a dog on your first mission, a cat on his birthday after he passed out, an entire herd of dogs after Lee decided to give one of them some scraps.... He wasn't a very lucky guy.

"You - are right..." he hung his head low, "I bet Guy Sensei is beloved by all animals... I cannot relate! How can I be a great ninja when disliked by all animals!?" He shook his head in defeat.

"Well, Pakkun likes you." You tried to reassure him, "Guy Sensei would probably tell you that learning to be disliked is the 'epitome of youth!' or something, anyway..." You gave him a nervous grin after your best attempt at comfort.

Lee let out a small gasp as he looked up at you. "You... Are right! Has anyone told you that you are a genius?!"

"Uh, you, probably." You chuckled lightly as he grabbed hold of your hands.

"Even as a Genin, I knew how to spot a genius beauty when I saw one!" He was teary eyed as he said it.

"Well -" you were at a loss for words for a second. "How about we do a little sparring? It's been a while since we last sparred against each other – and we're already here." You suggested – taking the opportunity to stand and help him up as he already held your hands.

"That sounds good to me!" He nodded, standing up with you. "In fact, I was almost hoping you would ask!"

'No surprise,' you thought, sweat dropping. "I need to improve my Taijūtsu - I've been slacking in that regard." No kidding, thanks to your lack of focus on Taijūtsu, you had not only lost a game of tug of war with an Akatsuki member, but you got yourself killed over it.

So, lesson of the day, you could improve on Taijūtsu.

"Sounds good to me!" Lee nodded, "However, may you use that fire fist technique of yours? It would help me greatly with evasion and speed!"

You wanted be surprised at his request, but you really weren't. His next sentence set your expectance in stone - "It will keep me on my toes!"

With that, the two of you spared well into the day, without holding back. Of course, Lee always was much faster than you were – even if he had his weights on and you didn't. He was also a lot more proficient in Taijūtsu. Both of your teammates were masters in it – and your sensei, too. Obviously, their mastery of it had rubbed off on you some-what, it was inevitable. In fact, it'd be rather embarrassing if you didn't pick up on some of their skills.

It wasn't like you hadn't taught them anything – Neji had even picked up on a fire Jūtsu because of you, and he learned a lot thanks to your Poltigan. And the others... Well, you weren't sure what you taught them, but you hoped it was something. Like Lee, he constantly said that you motivated him – in whatever way that was, you wouldn't question too much, if he said he was motivated, then who were you to deny it?

Going all out is good, of course. Respecting your sparring partner enough to not hold back is a great thing – but at the same time, that's what led to the two of you panting on the floor. Lee's jumpsuit was rather sturdy, you landed enough hits to burn away at the material, yet it was in... Okay condition.

And luckily enough, Lee's punches and kicks didn't have some supernatural strength with the ability to punch holes into your clothes – but if you were to look later, you'd have bruises for sure.

You knew he'd been training with Sakura, you also knew Lee had the ability of chakra control on his side despite that being unknown to many – but the ache of any damage done was far beyond what you expected. And despite your father apparently being from some healing clan, you had zero medical expertise.

But why learn anything if you had a Poltigan?

You sat up with a pained groan, and Lee got to his feet – standing tall, one hand on his hip and the other offering you a thumbs up. "The ache of training is the epitome of youth!" He yelled passionately, with heavy sweat on his face – upon realizing you were still on the floor, Lee offered you a hand.

"Yeah, yeah..." You sighed, reaching for his hand as he helped you up. 'Damn, my back hurts like hell...' You winced as you got to your feet, your hand staying in his for a few seconds until you dropped it. "It's a bit much, though... I feel like I just died a thousand times..." One of your hands went onto your lower back.

Lee let out an awkward chuckle – it was just a joke, but he didn't want to think about you dying a third time... But at this rate, he was starting to think that you were immortal or something. He wouldn't complain about that, as much as it stressed him out. It must've had something to do with those Poltigan eyes of yours – actually, you had them activated right now. He couldn't help but stare everytime he saw them.

"But luckily for both of us," You grinned, your smile gleaming in a way that reminded Lee of Guy Sensei. "I've got the afterlife on my side."

"Ahh!" Lee balled his fists, pumping them. "Amazingly talented, [Firstname]!" He was in awe – the stars in his eyes almost matched yours.

You nodded along, "Mhm, and so now – I will use it to the fullest of its capabilities and heal you!" You pointed a finger at him.

"Heal me!?" He repeated, already getting teary-eyed. "I am beyond honored! I cannot believe it!" He wailed. You weren't the type to get in over your head, but Lee made it hard not too, seeing as he loved to hype you up and the ground you walked on.

"Now stand back!" You finger turned into an open palm - "I mean, stand still!" You corrected yourself, furrowing your brows. You had to think of someone who had medical expertise. You didn't end yourself on good terms with the first Hokage – seeing as you had exorcised him when he attempted to convince you to stay in the leaf. Of course, Wendy was a great healer – but there was also the fact that she had fulfilled all she needed to on earth, so there was no reason to force her back. You could always just evoke a random spirit from the forest. Though, you weren't quite sure how helpful a random ghost could truly be.

Lee watched in anticipation, waiting for you to pull off some cool move – but his expectations were met with... Nothing. You didn't summon anyone, you didn't get possessed, you didn't even move – and your Politgan deactivated instead. That left the two of you in a stale silence before you sighed.

"Let's just get some medical care."

After you two stopped by for a quick check-up and healing, the two of you had stopped by the store to pick up that heavy cream you promised your cat – and after, Lee bid you farewell with a hug – and then a handshake – and then another hug, before letting you go, since you'd excused yourself with having 'something to do', which was just knocking yourself out for a week. On the walk home, you took the time to enjoy the sights of the village – you weren't quite sure why, seeing as it was something you saw every day. Like some sort of strange attachment suddenly, one you hadn't really felt before. Maybe being a way for a couple of days really did you in, or maybe it was just that you would be couped up in your apartment asleep for a couple of extra days.

Either way, you didn't make the smooth get-away into your house as you planned, but instead, you were stopped.

By Neji of all people.

He had a glum look on his face, and it seemed he had just deactivated his Byakugan – which clearly meant he had been looking for you. He didn't meet your eye, he didn't have the ability too, instead glancing off elsewhere as he thought of what to say – which was, in the end, simply him saying your name.

You had your eyes steady on him, sweat dropping as your eyes wandered toward what he had in his hands, and he offered it to you. He cleared his throat. "I apologize for leaving so soon before. I suppose that you would want a warmer welcome." He apologized; his eyes trained on the bouquet of flowers in his hand. His glum look turned sour, simply at his own self, or at the fact that he still wasn't used to apologizing. "These are for you. I am glad that you lived." He assured.

You took the bouquet from his hands, not uttering a single word as you struggled to comprehend the situation at hand. "I had bought them before I left for your retrieval mission. They were meant for your funeral – that's all." It was a clear-cut lie, but whether you fell for it or not, Neji didn't have the gall to ask. "I didn't want to put them to waste."

"I... See." It was the same as the time he visited you after your fight with Gaara, he had denied any implications that he bought flowers for the sole purpose of giving them too you. "Thanks, Neji. They're pretty fresh for being a couple of days old, aren't they?" You brought them up to your face, pretending to smell them to hide your grin.

Neji was silent for a while, turning his head to the side. "Yes, I suppose they are quite fresh, aren't they?" He responded after a few seconds, if you looked closely, you could see a bead of sweat form on his face. "Well, that's all I had to say." He turned his back toward you, set on leaving as soon as he could.

"Oh, alright." You couldn't say you were too surprised at his sudden need for a getaway, but you were a bit disappointed. "I'll see you later then, Neji." You bid him farewell with the subtle wave of your free hand, the other holding onto the bouquet of flowers he had gotten you. With his back turned, he wouldn't be able to see it – that was, until he paused and turned his head toward you.

"By the way, [Firstname]..." He began, brows knitted as the words died in his throat.

You looked at him, waiting for him to finish whatever he wanted to say. If you did speak – you were sure he'd been scared off faster than he already had been. "Never mind." He turned his head away, "Goodbye."

"Bye." You waved him off again, completely unsurprised at his sudden withdrawal from the situation. The flowers were a sweet gesture, with [color] petals. Neji's surprise visit was a welcome one, at the very least, you knew now that Neji wasn't angry or anything. Though, when you thought about it, why would he be angry? Upset, definitely, but you doubted that he'd be angry that you were alive. If he were, he wouldn't have gotten you flowers.

You took the time to find a nice vase – recycled for each and every flower you'd received in your life, but when you turned 18, and got your entire clans fund... You would have a vase for each flower in a bouquet. A bit overkill, but why wouldn't you go all out when you actually got money to spend for yourself? Once the flowers were set, your cat did the honor of jumping onto your cat.

"Are you ready?" he asked, his eyes dilated as he practically shoved the Lacrima in your face. He had appeared out of nowhere – you had no clue where he was when you entered your apartment, but he made himself clear now.

You sweat dropped at his overly dilated pupils, leaning your head back. "Are you on catnip or something?" you asked, tilting your head away as he put the lacrima in front of you.

"What??" He blinked, retracting his hand and putting the pill back into his hat "Heh, catnip? No, no I don't do catnip." He denied, a bit too nervous to make his denial look genuine. "I was simply eager. You're doing a lot of people –" He pointed his paws at himself. "Me, a favor." He smiled. "Consuming this Lacrima will not only bring you power, but it won't be destroyed, and the yang dragon will not be brought upon the Leaf."

Hold on, if the Lacrima was destroyed, the Shadow Dragon would have been released? That was certainly news – and you'd be angry if it weren't for the fact that you caved in at the cat's smile – you had no idea how a cat could be so expressive, but he was so cute. You reached your hands out and pinched his cheeks – or what you thought were his cheeks. "Well, I am ready. I got all my business out of the way. And by the way, you owe me a whole lot for the heavy cream. It's pricy, you know."

"Yes, yes – fine." He nodded – his feline instincts kicking in and swatting your hands away. "You should get comfortable, preferably in a bed." He recommended hopping off of the table and making his way down the hallway of your apartment. He was headed toward your room; you usually kept the door closed out of habit. Though, you weren't sure why you got that habit.

You followed him and sat yourself down on the bed. "For doing you this big favor, make me a good meal for when I wake up, yeah?" You requested, laying down. "Or you could buy me a poster for my room or something. I don't know, but these plain walls would be enough to drive anyone insane."

Your cat stood by you, reaching into his hat, he pulled out the Lacrima. "For you, my friend, I will do both." He assured with the nod of his head. "Now say; ah!"

You opened your mouth with a grimace but didn't make any noises, and he dropped the pill into your mouth. He then reached for something else in his hat that you began to believe had some sort of infinite space. It was a water canteen – and he made quick work of the cap before practically shoving it into your mouth. "Pills are easier to swallow with water." He spoke as if he had said the wisest thing in the world.

You struggled not to make a mess, managing to take down the pill and the water as you furrowed your browns. "Everyone knows that, you didn't have to drown me." You fumed.

The cat gave you a smug look. "You'll forget about it, anyway." He had a point – the Lacrima had you out like a light.

-

bet yall didnt expect such an early chap after the past few weeks all took like 2 weeks 😏Im writhing in agony NEJIIII I MISSS YOYU tears on my keyboard as I wrote this fr

I'm hoping these last two chapters have less typos because I actually proof read them lol ! And im thinking about updating my aot ff I havent updated in years 😮‍💨 also i almost forgot to update on watppad lmfao 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 137 11
Kiwayo finally escapes. "Somewhere, anywhere is better. I want to be free." Collapsing from exhaustion she is recaptured. By who though? She is taken...
12.6K 957 34
❝𝐈'𝐌 ππŽπ“ 𝐂𝐀𝐏𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄 πŽπ… πƒπŽπˆππ† π’πŽ, ππŽπ“ 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓 ππ„π‹πŽππ†π’ π“πŽ π’πŽπŒπ„πŽππ„ 𝐄𝐋𝐒𝐄.❞ . . β‡’ 𝐔𝐍𝐑𝐄𝐐𝐔...
239K 11.2K 104
β•°β”ˆβž€ ❝ π™’π™π™šπ™§π™š.. π™©π™π™š π™π™šπ™‘π™‘ 𝙖𝙒 𝙄? ❞ βˆ˜β‚Šβœ§β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€βœ§β‚Šβˆ˜ You lived a normal and casual life in the twenty-first century. In fact, it would be a com...
44K 1K 17
It's in the title: - X Reader one shots of an extremely underrated anime - Learn more inside