MATED TO THE NIGHT WOLF (MTTN...

By mckaylachinyamaqueen

Shade Shadows is what the pack calls a Keffer, a cursed name for a being without a wolf and therefore denied... More

MTTNW
DEDICATION
HEIRARCHY
[1.1] SLAVE
[2.1] THE NIGHT COURT
[3.1] ARC WOLVES
[4.1] THE EYES IN THE SHADOWS
[5.1] THE ARC ALPHA
[6.1] A GIFT OF A CURSE
[7.1] THE MASTER
[8.1] DECIEVER
[9.1] A KEFFERS LUCK
[10.1] A KINGS FRIEND
[11.1] A TRUST TO BUILD
[12.1] A WAR IS WHISPERED
[13.1] A SECRET MEET
[14.1] A FRIENDSHIP TO YEILD
[15.1] CRISTON THE CRUEL
[16.1] THE DIAMOND RAVEN
[17.1] THE OTHER MATE
[18.1] A ROGUES FRIEND
[19.1] FOOLS AMONGST FOOLS
[20.1] A KEFFERS DREAM
[21.1] A DYING HOPE
[23.1] A MASTERS PLAY
[24.1] THE KINGS GUARD
[25.1] BOUNDERIES
[26.1] ALEXANDER THE PRIME
[27.1] VAELN
[28.1] MONSTER ACROSS THE SEA
[29.1] THE HUMAN
[31.1] A NEW FRIEND?
[32.1] TROUBLE
[33.1] IMPRINT
[33.1] ADZAR
[34.1] THE ELVES
[35.1] CURTESY
[36.1] THE GLOW
[37.1] FIRE AND ICE (part-one)
[38.1] FIRE AND ICE (part-two)
[39.1] THE JOURNAL
[40.1] THE 8TH NIGHT WOLF (part-one)
[41.1] THE 8TH NIGHT WOLF (part-two)
[42.1] THE 8TH NIGHT WOLF (part 3)
[43.1] GREENWOOD (part-one)

[22.1] DIANE

2K 168 58
By mckaylachinyamaqueen

•|•|•
"Don't you know that the forests died with the faerie folk? True Magic is not in these lands."
•|•|•

[KAYOS]

The bird cawed loudly in its cage, and my eyes gleamed a sparkled ember as I watched it from the shadows of my study.

The light trails of magic coming off it in shimmering waves intrigued me for I had not seen something quite like it. So easy to miss and yet so irregular.

I studied the bird for a moment, before leaning forward into the candlelight. Inspecting it closely I confirmed a few things about the abnormalities of the bird. It was larger than a normal raven, it seemed to watch me as well, and its heart was racing the closer I got.

The bird blinked in my direction, growing quiet, and paused as if frozen at the mere sight of me.

It wasn't unusual for animals to behave this way toward me, I knew.

Each animal was born with an instinct. It was simply natural that they knew when a predator was in their midst.

It is why whenever my wolf forms, the birds take flight, the deer runs, and the bear gallops as fast as it can into its dark cave.

It is only a shame it does not understand that the darkness is my home too.

My gaze trailed the bird. It had a diamond-shaped mark on its forehead, watching as its feathers shivered under my heavy stare, dark beady eyes never leaving mine.

They say darkness is felt in the wind.

I opened its cage and it remained at the center of the far back, even as the door was left open wide for it.

A bird in terror should have taken flight unless it somehow understood that escape was futile.

Alchest gripped the bars, moving across each hissing at the bird perched in the center, before slipping off to a shadow at the corner of the table.

My hands slipped in, fingers wrapping around its silky body and it shivered once more under my touch but remained still and quiet though the very tips of my fingers could feel the steady pounding of its small heart.

Fast as a drum.

Getting up, I walked to the window that slowly swung open courtesy of Alchest. I placed the bird on the ledge stepping back, hands clasped behind my back as I stood before it.

The bird blinked in my direction, head bowed low, a shiver in its feathers.

"You have two options, Raven." I began, "You may reveal yourself now, in my presence, and disclose why you fly so freely in the borders of my sanctuary," I breathed.

"Or you can simply escape-" I suggested, my gaze drifting to the open window behind it, where the taste of freedom manifested as a gentle breeze that blew through its feather and into the darkness of the dark day behind it.

"— Knowing that every time the sun refuses to rise, or every time it sets, whenever you fly in utter darkness or may find rest in a presence of a lingering shadow no matter how small. Your life will be cut short, abruptly, painfully- " the words were blunt and stale across my tongue, "and your soul trapped within the claws of a demon, never to set flight again."

My gaze dropped to the bird, lips pressed in a cold thin line.

"It is your choice."

A moment of silence passed between us.

The bird seemed to be staring at me. Its head bowed lowly, as it hoped from one leg onto the other, another shiver crossing its spine, and then— it transformed.

So abruptly, if I had wasted a moment to blink, I would have missed the better of it.

In its place stood the smallest humanoid creature I had ever seen. Perhaps the size of my palm.

A round face puffed and red. A green hat, and dark clothing against its pale skin accompanied by large green eyes, a shimmer of silver hair peaking from its hat, where sharpened ears peaked. Accompanied by pointy green shoes.

The little funny looking being pursed its lips, refusing to meet my eyes, as it slowly took off its hat, gripping it to its front, head bowed, and large green eyes staring at the floor.

Alchest perched on my shoulder as we stared at the creature.

"A faerie," I stated in a stale realization.

It glanced up at me at this, shy as its cheeks run as red as tomatoes, shuffling on its two feet as if it were still a bird. It was skinny, standing by the edge of the ledge, yet still daring to titter forward.

"The books say your kind perished in the old war, with the elves," I stated, eyes never leaving the figure, "but Father always said you were somewhere out there if you looked hard enough." I mumbled to myself, "Faeries were his favorite stories."

I tilted my head slightly as I took in the queer creature who snuck glances at me, and when it was caught it would stare at the floor so hard it seemed it wished to be eaten by it.

The grip on its tiny hat was tight, lips shivering.

I shut my eyes, remembering the stories, "And a faerie does not speak unless it is caught and named." I grunted with irritation.

The first thing to learn about the Fae is their affinity for names.

My eyes reopened and the faerie's gaze immediately snapped back to the floor.

"What will I name you then?" I let out a loose breath.

"Diane!" It blurted out quickly, eyes wide as it stared at me. Its voice was a high-pitched squeak, loud and abrupt.

My gaze narrowed on it, and it immediately shut its mouth, eyes wide but seemingly frozen in mine, unable to look away.

It was frozen in place as if time itself had stopped. I could not even hear its breath. Save for the racing of its heartbeat, I would have thought it had died of shock.

It was such a fearful creature.

"Diane." I repeated, "That is a female's name."

I looked him up and down. "You are male."

"R-Regardless, it is my name! I-I own it! Yes, sir, I own it," It stuttered a reassurance to itself, "And I will n-not give it back! No sir! It is my name and I adore it! It was given to me and I-I, I will not return it! Not for all the honey in the world and heaven beyond! I will fight to the death for it good sir, it was given, yes given! and will certainly not be returned!" It screeched, seemingly about to blow its head off, before freezing again when its large eyes met mine.

It darted to Alchest when he hissed in response to its unwelcome outburst.

"Y-your majesty." It squeaked. Bowing its head lowly once again. Little fingers gripping its hat tighter.

My eyebrows drew together.

"You know who I am." I realized. "What I am."

It shivered at my words, raising a shoulder in a short shrug, little hands still gripping its hat tightly, whilst its silver hair echoed in the glowing candlelight.

Even without a wolf. This creature knew of me.

"Y-you are very well known amongst the faerie folk, your majesty. You are the Night Wolf- prince of shadows,—a-and- and demons," he squeaked, peering up at me for a second, he blinked back down.

"My brothers speak highly of you, they say your wolf is as tall as the Silverbane Tree and has spikes deadlier than those silver-tipped arrows but I think it is pure hogs-wash. Those sprites are keen on scaring me- " he frowned as if lost in his narrative, eyebrows drawing in together, "lying flat nose chumps!" He grunted, "Earth, they even say darkness is whipped around you like a cloak. I'm standing here, aren't I? And I see no darkness save the dark around us, pfft! Staring into your eyes would send a faerie straight down to the gutters of hell, that is pure-" His gaze shifted to mine once more before quickly looking down and breathing heavily.

"P-Perhaps they were right about that part-" he mumbled softly, biting at his lips. His heart was racing and I could hear it quite clearly from here.

"You still live, your kind." I stated, "Hidden in the forests."

"N-not your forest your majesty," he squeaked, then nervously chuckled, "Earth! No fae would dare live there. Oh not there! T-too much death," his gaze traveled to mine, smile wiping off his face in a second as he swallowed, "w-we live in forests." He finally confirmed, pursing his lips once more.

"Hidden after the old war. It is too dangerous for our kind you see. We live by the oldest laws."

"And yet, you fly in my sanctuary, high and free." I mocked. "You are certainly brave in your venture into my most private."

I tilted my head studying the creature.

His lips pursed, peering at me from his long eyelashes, "F-forgive me, your highness," he bowed lowly, "You see, I have no choice. I-I must be near my master."

My gaze narrowed on him, curiosity plaguing me, a sliver of disbelief in my tone "The master who names you- the Keffer?" I realized.

The little fae gasped, eyes wide, hurt in his eyes, "Shade! My master's name is Shade!" He screeched, no fear in his wide eyes as he looked up at me.

I found it weird, to say the least.

I was not sure if I would rather take his head off for screaming in my face, however, the picture of a headless faerie was not an image I wanted to see. It was something my father would have frowned upon too.

And truthfully,  such A tiny body with no head seemed wrong- even for me.

And if the Keffer was indeed his master, perhaps killing a friend's pet was not something I should do.

"How does a keffer master a faerie?" I asked, "It can only be done unless that faerie has a debt to pay." I remembered my father's tales quite well, and the books I had read.

My gaze fell heavy on the tiny being, "what did she do for you, that you owe a lifetime?"

He pursed his lips, glancing at me, shaking his head slowly, "I-I can not reveal it. It is a secret I fear I must take to the grave. It is an old law."

I studied the little being that shuddered beneath my gaze, fingers tight around its hat. Alchest dropped from my shoulder, threatening the tiny being with his hisses and the claws of shadows.

Scared as it was the faerie remained firm, "Hiss at me all you want you, big bully! I am vowed to silence. My soul isn't worth much, but you can take it if that is the price," he grunted, closing his eyes, "they will sing songs of me in fairy halls. Of my bravery, that I, Diane, the first fairy to stand against the prince of shadows! It will be a legacy to behold-"

But I was not listening to his senseless rambles, it was fruitless to torture him into submission. Faeries might be annoying creatures, evidently, but they were known to be amongst the most loyal creatures and bearers of good luck. They remained cheery even through torture which made them unbearable rays of sunshine.

Takes away the fun in torture if you asked me.

Faeries took their laws as if it was chained to their very necks.

I paused, a thought growing, "so the keffer does have secrets," I breathed beneath my breath, a dying hope drawing me in.

A secret that was strong enough that even a faerie took a vow of silence.

"I wish they do not sing with the old melodies. It is pure balderdash; they can not sing a song with a new tune. Ugh! I will turn in my grave and pluck my ears out if they do. But Diane the Brave has a nice ring to it! Surely someone somewhere will write a new song. But Fate is not one to rely on- no- I should make my own whilst I'm still alive! Yes! But how will they hear it if I am to die soon? Ah, yes! The wind will carry it home. Where was I then? Ah- the melody—"

"Do you need a moment?" I growled, causing him to jump.

He paused, blinking at me, "be-before you suck my soul dry you mean? Rip the flesh of my b-bones?"

I rolled my eyes, getting up-

"Is that a yes, your majesty?"

"Alchest,"

The shadow snapped towards me, and we headed towards the door, when I froze, a dark shiver suddenly rattling through me. I turned immediately to the faerie who looked up at me with wide eyes.

"Have you told her who I am?" I asked blankly.

"S-Shade?" He echoed, his heart racing.

I did not respond but he shook his head profusely, "We are not allowed to speak or transform to others beyond our kind. I should not have spoken a word- but you did threaten my life in ways only the prince of darkness could, I believe I will be forgiven-"

"A seal of silence then?" I cut. One that protected the face from the outside world.

Is this how they have survived hidden for centuries even unto me and my shadows?

"Y-yes your majesty."

I nodded walking out the door but not before he screeched after me, just before the door shut.

"Shall I write my eulogy?! If I trust it to my brothers it will end up being poppycock-"

I shivered, as the door closed though I could still hear his ramblings through the wood.

Alchest hissed lowly.

Secrets-he said.

My jaw ticked, walking back through the dark halls. A streak of lightning illuminated my way.

•|•|•
Sorry for the late updates! Had plenty to do over the weekend. (see my latest announcement)Please enjoy the chapter! Read 4 chapters ahead on Patreon!
Please leave a comment and vote.
A sneak peak of Chapter [23.1]  A MASTERS PLAY is down below!
•|•|•

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

89.3K 2.8K 51
"I'll ruin you till there's nothing left to give." Every member of the lupine Realm lost his sanity after few centuries of living without a mate. Kin...
33.2K 2.2K 46
A spin-off from the Rootbridge series. Callie's wolf is out of control and therapy isn't helping her understand the fragments of memories she has abo...
69.9K 1.2K 33
Book 1 of Mate of the Alpha. Werewolves ruled the world. There were only a few more human villages left, and after a while, the wolves found out wher...
5.9K 326 27
What is the destiny of a she-wolf on the run to the human land? . . . At a young age, Alexia lost her parents. With her current status and rumours su...