AFTER DARK | naruto

Av Xingqiu

After dark - that's when all those bad thoughts you try to bury away come back to surface. And with no one ar... Mer

1 | similar to you, but not to me.
2 | similar to me, but not to you.
3 | a warm welcome to the academy
4 | shinobi in training
5 | for the rest of your life
6 | ninja dogs
7 | what you feel
8 | my beloved teammate(s)
9 | chuunin exams
10 | forest of death
11 | deal with a devil
12 | congrats in order
13 | fight to leave a past behind
14 | someone dear to me
15 | severed connections
16 | a quitters resolve
17 | contract bound
18 | whose in control
19 | haunted cliff of konoha
20 | the hidden sand
21 | to your important request: i refuse!
23 | a special chapter to a special boy; happy birthday lee!
24 | the uchiha clan
25 | the many sides of a drunken fist
26 | a reminder of fate
27 | to all those who ever loved me, goodbye
28 | away from home, away from you
29 | to reveal the center of your heart
30 | search for jinchurriki! capture, or captured?
31 | into the akatsukis lair
32 | stronger than we were yesterday
33 | half relevant half not: new years special!
34 | the uchihas curse of hatred. and on a lighter note: reunion with friends!
35 | kakashis wise words and inner turmoil!
36 | the cutest team in the leaf!
37 | legendary hero thief!
38 | feelings over reason
39 | superstition
40 | invincibility and the trouble it causes
41 | loss of a loved one
42 | love that can possibly turn into hate
43 | a true ninja!
44 | Valentines Special! love and friendship!
45 | starry eyed people
46 | a dish best served cold
47 | a pill hard to swallow
48 | to see you before i go
49 | eyes opened to reality
50 | watchful eyes in the darkness
51 | lose your mind, lose your way
52 | brink of insanity
53 | homesickness for traitors
54 | fond memories of you and i
55 | Dissatisfactory closure 
56 | fire kings speciality
57 | with war on the horizon, i do what i can for you
58 | ambushed!
59 | rough interrogation
60 | high stake battle
61 | a special chapter to a special boy: happy birthday, Neji!
62 | jailbreak!
63 | madara uchiha was a fraud?!?
64 | fighting fire with fire
65 | my brighter future
66 | a scary special, happy halloween!
67 | the noshowkage!
68 | idolization
69 | into the dream world
70 | into the light
71 | gratitude [END]

22 | answer to the call of love!

2.2K 136 86
Av Xingqiu

"It is okay, I am sure Guy Sensei will not mind buying you another set!" Lee tried to reassure you, seeing the disheartened look on your face. They both knew of your financial struggles—but there wasn't much they could do in the sense of helping you with things like rent. It wasn't like Neji got an allowance from his lousy uncle, and he wasn't about to ask either. Just because his uncle apologized didn't mean Neji forgave him.

Lee having lost his parents during the Ninetails attack meant he had his own rent paid for by the Hokage—and the Hokage after that until Lee was an adult. You however—did not have a lousy uncle to live with, and did not lose your parents in the Leaf.

"That was a gift, though." You sighed. "Gifts aren't replaceable." You concluded. Lee and Neji shared a look—it was the gift part you were concerned about. Seeing you couldn't afford anything yourself, you highly appreciated anything else you were given.

"If Guy Sensei were to buy you a new pair, wouldn't that be considered a gift as well?" Neji asked.

"Well, if he feels obligated to get me a replacement, I don't think so." You answered. "I shouldn't have trusted Shikamaru of all people—with how lazy he is, I shouldn't be surprised."

Neji hummed. "I see. That's quite unfortunate..." He said.

"Very much so..." Lee nodded. "You deserve all the gifts in the world, my love!"

"I'd just lose them all..." You sighed dejectedly before you perked up. "Oh, but every second spent with you guys is a gift in itself..." You grinned—Kankuro had also rubbed off on you in the way he teased others. It worked, Lee froze. First it was shock that shivered up and down his body, and the next second, he shrieked—falling over at the shock.

"I think I am going into shock!" He yelled, eyes shut. He was so used to being the one on the team that said things along those lines—you and Neji mostly let your gratitude show in little ways, but to have you say it straight up... "Neji, you must say something next!" He said.

"What!?" Neji looked down at him. "What are you talking about, Lee? Get off the floor, the nurse told you to not strain your body like you're doing now." He demanded. "You're completely overreacting..."

Lee only let out a sigh. "My eternal rival always acts aloof... Neji, let your heart answer to the call of love!"

"What 'love'!?" Neji answered, "Must you always make a fool out of me!?" Well, getting a reaction out of his teammate was always fun, especially when it was a reaction no one other than the two of you got to see.

Although your teammates made you feel a lot better, you sighed just about a million times on your way home that day, head lowered in disappointment. You had wasted all your money on food, and now you couldn't even afford your training equipment.

"It's not so bad, M'lady..." Shisui said in a feeble attempt to make you feel better. "How heavy were those weights, anyway?" He asked.

You sighed again, "Not to much. Just around three hundred pounds each..." Shisuis jaw dropped—that was 'not to much'?! And from what he's heard, Lee had heavier weights than you and Neji combined. "What'll be heavier than that is my debt after I try to buy another pair!"

"You just carry around six hundred pounds!?" Shisui said in horror, watching as you dug through your bag for your apartment key.

"Not anymore clearly..." You sighed, making your way up the stairs of your apartment. "Those were a gift from my Sensei, losing them... Shisui, I'm the worst student ever! First he pays for my rent—and then I lose a precious gift!" You burst, balling the key into your fist.

"M-M'lady, I'm sure he won't mind all that much." He reassured, following you as you made it up to your apartment door, unlocking it. That's when you perked up and turned your head to look at him.

"You're right, Shisui! You're a genius! Anyone ever tell you that?" you asked, rushing inside, he wasn't sure what made you think he was a genius all of a sudden, but he wasn't going to question it.

"Maybe once or twice?" Shisui responded in a mumble, watching you as you placed your bag on the table.

"Come in, I'm gonna do something really quick." You said, allowing him inside before you rushed toward your room. He took the time to look around your kitchen—it looked like a regular kitchen, with a basket on the counter, and he poked his head through the fridge. There were only a few fruits stored. Then he journeyed to your living room, something that he could only describe as more desert like than Suna. The only sense of decoration was a vase of far by wilted flowers, and a single book in a bookshelf that still had the library bar on it. He perked up when he heard you come in—and turning around, he went silent.

"This is bound to gain my Senseis forgiveness." You declared, a hand on your hip. He wasn't sure what relevance a green jumpsuit had to your Sensei—but you definitely matched your teammate now. You gave him a thumbs up and grinned, "The power of youth flows within me!"

There was a silence before Shisui spoke. "... Did you hit your head, M'lady?" And he saw your smile fade and your posture deflate with a sigh.

"You're right, this is stupid..." You mumbled, untying your wasitband as you made your way back to your room. But you made a detour into your bathroom, "What about a bowl cut!?" He heard your muffled voice ask. He was quick to rush to where you were, you were searching through your empty cabinets. Your hands rested on the sink as you crouched. "I've never bought scissors before..." You sighed out.

Shisui also sighed, but out of relief. "I'm sure your Sensei doesn't want you to change up your look." He said, coaxing you out of any regrets you might have later. "If that guy lost your weights, he should be the one buying you new ones, right?" He suggested.

You perked up. Shisui was completely right. So you went into your room, changing back into your regular outfit before you were out the door. Shikamaru was going to pay. But you were stopped the moment you left your apartment, it was Naruto—who was surprised, yet glad to see you.

"Oh, [Firstname]!" He blurted, "I need to talk to you!"

You stood idly, you'd be delayed from what you wanted to do—but you could stay and listen to Naruto for a while. "What of?" You asked.

He suddenly went serious, and you could feel your lax nature disappear, too. The two of you hadn't seen each other in a while—away from the village doing your respective things. "Something happened when I was out on a mission with the pervy sage..." He started. "There was a man, from the Akatsuki... He tried to kidnap me." You tilted your head, that was definitely scary news—by why he had to tell you was beyond your comprehension.

"The pervy sage said that..." He paused. "They were after people with a beast inside of them, not just me." He explained, rubbing the back of his head. "I mean, you do have one of those things in ya' right? A dragons considered a beast, so I figured I should warn you."

You blinked—it sure looked like a lot of aspects you were born with were a curse. The clan part and the beast part.

"He called them Jinchuuriki, I didn't get that meant, but I think it refers to us... And, well..." He lowered his head. "He injured Sasuke bad, I think that was his brother... And Kakashi sensei is in the hospital, too." He must've been concerned about his team members.

"But listen, I brought the new Hokage, believe it! Sadly it isn't me, but she's going to fix them all up! She'll be able to fully heal bushy brow, too!" Lee opening the gates had completely torn at his muscle—and his bones, too. Although you may have prevented Gaara from completely destroying them, it didn't mean he walked out that fight unscathed.

You smiled at him, "I shouldn't be surprised that you of all people managed to bring in a new Hokage..." You said, "I'm sure your teammates will be fine, and thank you for thinking of mine, too."

Naruto grinned, "Yeah, I am the best, aren't I?" He chuckled, cheeks flushed. After a bit more of idle chatter, you were quick to make your way to the Nara compound, waiting for a response outside their gates. The one that answered was his father, who looked confused to see you.

"Hello, is Shikamaru home?" You asked with a smile. Shikaku raised a brow, mumbling something about 'why in the hell does my son have a girl visiting?' The fact he was more confused than proud spoke volumes.

"Yeah. I'll get him for you, follow me." He ordered, ushering you with the flail of his hand. You did as he told, following him out all the way to his house, you couldn't help but oogle at it as Shikaku stepped inside. They were sickly rich--and suddenly you were thinking you should've stayed in the Sand. You were forced out of those thoughts as Shikamaru was dragged out of his house through the front door. The second his eyes landed on you, he gulped, it didn't help that his father had gone back inside.

You smiled at him, eyes closed, and he grimaced back—he'd just hope that you weren't visiting him for the reason he thought you were. Though, the curse of the genius meant he knew damn well you were here for the exact reason he thought of.

"It's been a while, Shikamaru." You started, opening your eyes.

"Wish it could've been longer..." Shikamaru mumbled under his breath. He could see your smile twitch, and now he wished he kept to himself.

"About those weights I gave you a while back..." Shikamaru tensed. "How do you plan on repaying those?" He could tell you were easing into it—now he wished he never even told Neji to tell you that he'd done it. You probably would've forgotten, anyway.

"Would you look at that, just the brat I was looking for." It looked like Shikamaru had a luck streak when it came to getting his ass saved—this time by a complete stranger—far older than the two of you at that.

"...Brat?" You repeated, turning your back to Shikamaru to see who spoke. It looked like one of the proctors from the Chuunin exam.

"Yeah, I got lucky finding the two of you in the same place. After I went through all the trouble to find you, at least." You seriously doubted he actually went through a lot of trouble to find you, but you didn't say anything. If they were looking for the two of you at the same time—it probably had to do with you becoming a Chuunin.You weren't sure if you were up for a such a promotion. You really only participated in the exams because your team had—and you didn't really show maturity in your match with Shikamaru, maybe with Temari... Had you played it smart? Did you really have battle IQ high enough to lead a bunch of other people? You were already dreading the promotion and it hadn't even been given to you. Though, Chuunin did make more money.

"What a drag, it's so early in the morning and I already have two people at my door..." Shikamaru sighed, hands in his pockets.

"It's one in the afternoon." The proctor scoffed. "Come with me you two, Hokages order."

"Hokage order?" Shikamaru repeated—suspicious. There wasn't even a Hokage yet. But you responded with a trusting "Okay!"

"How annoying..." Shikamaru sighed, bringing a hand up to rub at the back of his neck. "Fine, let's get this over with." He definitely recognized the man as a proctor—so the chance of him suddenly turning on the two of you didn't seem likely. Still, on the off chance—well, Shikamaru was sure you knew how to counterattack. With that move you pulled on nine infiltrators before... Suddenly he remembered why he never wanted to tell you in the first place.

The two of you followed him to the Hokages estate—or what would be. And he dropped you off at a single room and told you to wait. Which had Shikamaru sweating, again. He had been sent here and for what? Just to bother him, and having him nervous at how you'd react. He was a genius, but he'd never be able to understand girls.

The silence carried on for a few moments more until you spoke. "So, Shikamaru. About those weights..." He side-eyed you. You didn't look to mad so far, but he knew well that you had a tendency of acting one way went you felt another. And then he saw your smile falter—here it came, the end of his life. "How'd you even lose them?"

Shikamaru was silent for a second—recalling the events that led to him losing them. One, he was to tired and lazy to run back to the village when you told him to, two, those weights were way to heavy—and three, he decided to take a nap and completely forgot about them when he woke up.

"...I can't remember." He shrugged, and there was more silence. Maybe he should've thought up an excuse.

"Please, just buy me a new pair! Preferably before my Sensei finds out you ever lost them!" You plead, a hand suddenly on his shoulder to shake him back and forth. "I shouldn't have trusted you were such a precious gift in the first place...!" You were rattling him so much he could barely think—all he knew was that his annoyance briefly settled into relief, and back into annoyance. He would practically walk this entire thing off scott free if he bought you a new pair, but rocking him back and forth was getting on his nerves. Still, maybe he should appreciate your mercy.

"Alright, alright!" He said, "I'll get you a new pair, okay? Just let me go before I pass out!" Actually, he'd rather pass out, that meant he wouldn't have to do anything else afterward. But he did not enjoy being dizzy. You quickly let go, the added annoyance was just to assure that he'd agree.

"That's good, I could never afford something so expensive..." You smiled—you made sure he knew what price he had to pay for losing them. There was loud cheering going on outside, and although you were curious about the context, you stayed put like you were told to. Well, all that cheering probably had to do with the new Hokage Naruto said he dragged to the Leaf.

The question was answered when someone walked through the door, a young blonde lady stood, a hand on her hip as she looked around the room. "Definitely looks like a Hokages room..." She commented, her eyes landing on the two kids in the middle of her room. "That Jounin I sent sure works fast... Well the faster we get this matter done, the better." She concluded, making her way toward her desk. The Jounin she spoke of was standing right behind her.

She sat—and someone else commented. "Well, how do you feel, M'lady?" You turned your head, it was a young black-haired woman that asked the question. It looks like the name 'm'lady' was popular with dark-haired people.

"Not much of a Hokage." She answered, looking through a few files on the table. "We received what I asked for, yes, Shizune?"

Shizune tensed, the hold on the pig she held tightening. "Oh, yes Lady Tsunade." She nodded, "I'll go fetch it." She said, backtracking her way out of the room.

She then turned toward you and Shikamaru, a smile coming onto her once serious face. "Congratulations, you two." She began, "I'm aware the finals of the Chuunin exams were cut short, but lord third had nothing but praise for your battle. The two of you impressed him, staying calm under pressure, and being able to rival each other in brains to a draw. Fighting a Nara into a draw is impressive." She commented. "And staying calm around an entire barrage of trees lit on fir is impressive, too." And suddenly, the two of you were embarrassed that the reasons she praised you.

"But the point of calling you here was to officially announce you two as Chuunin. If Lord Third believed you two to be worthy, then I will honor his judgment." Shizune then entered the room once more, two items in hand, and her pig was following her now.

"Make us proud, you two!" She smiled, handing the two of you your Chuunin vests. Reaching up for it, you decided you would/wouldn't wear it.

______________________

"I can't believe it, my own student becoming a Chuunin at the age of thirteen..." Guy was unsurprisingly emotional, he had called for an outing—all four of you again for the first time in a long time. It made you happy to be with your team, but you still felt bad about losing your weights.

"Yes, being on a team with you makes me so happy! I remember the first time we met like it was just yesterday..." Lee got emotional along with his Sensei, recalling your first meeting.

Neji nodded along, his reaction far calmer. "It's impressive." He agreed, "Congratulations."

Lee reached under the table, and suddenly brought up a small bag—with a big smile. "As celebration, I bought you a gift!" Neji discreetly side-eyed him. "We bought you something!" He corrected nervously.

You blinked, reaching out for the bag he offered you from across the table. Guy Sensei, who sat next to you, tried to peak in to see what it was. Neji and Lee had decided to buy you a gift, seeing as every single one made you so happy—and the excuse that you just became a Chuunin was perfect.

It was a potted flower, your favorite kind—and although you only mentioned it once, Lee remembered it well. And recalling your introduction, Neji remembered the topic of ghosts—which was the reason behind a ghost keychain. "I think it will be good for your apartment," Lee commented—he remembered the time he had visited, the lack of everything shocked him. "Neji and I got something similar for ourselves, a true sign of our friendship, do you not think?"

Yes, your two teammates knew you were going to be grateful—you always reacted to gifts positively, "At first, I suggested something like a friendship bracelet, but Neji said there was 'no way in hell' he would ever wear it!" Lee explained, the words dying down as he opened his eyes, looking at you—you looked like you were about to cry. Well, he had never seen you cry, so he was only assuming. He also assumed that they would be good tears.

You quickly blinked the expression away and smiled. "You guys know me to well..." You said, putting the two items back into the bag. "Thank you guys, I'll make sure to take good care of it." You reassured with the nod of your head.

"Now... Cheers to my promotion!" You grinned. The others smiled as well—although Nejis smile was noticeably smaller than the rest.

——————————

On your way home, you had attached the keychain they had gifted you to your keys. Staring at it for so long could almost move you to tears—it was cute, and it was a gift—from your cute teammates! When you got home, you'd have to make sure to put everything you'd been given into their proper places. Not to mention, you hadn't even unpacked.

The moment you opened your door, you froze. You completely forgot you had left Shisui behind—he was laying on the couch in boredom, or more like he was floating just a little above it.

"Ooh..." You blinked, "Hi, Shisui..." You greeted.

He looked over at you, he didn't seem angry—just a little bored. "You're back, M'lady." He smiled, sitting up. You were glad he hadn't run off, he was quickly becoming a big part of your life, with him following you around and all. It looked like he was going to become some sort of roommate to you now, and you definitely weren't going to complain—after all, your biggest problem with being at home was the constant loneliness, and the thoughts you lost yourself in.

"Sorry for leaving you here, Shisui." You apologized, turning the lights on. Most times it was kept off, it quickly added onto your rent, after all.

Shisui shook his head, "It was worse out on a cliff." He joked, looking at the potted flowers in your hands. "Who bought you those?" He asked curiously.

"My teammates, as a congratulation gift." You answered with a smile. "Aren't they the best?" Shisui took note of your expression—you definitely did a good job in hyping your teammates up.

You made Shisui visible again—as an apology for leaving him alone in boredom. You told him of your promotion—to which he congratulated you for. Shisui was definitely on the level of a Jounin, but he only ever became a Chuunin due to the fact that things were different for the Anbu. It had him thinking about Danzo, There was a high chance that he was alive—and having got away with everything so easily. He thought maybe he should tell you, but getting you involved in something that had nothing to do with you felt wrong. He could keep it to himself like he had been for years, he'd just suffer in the silence he was tied to for over a decade. But if Danzo was alive, he was still pulling the strings in the background, no doubt about that.

And like he always has, he stayed silent, letting it eat him up inside as he helped you organize a few things. He stared at the photo of you and Gaara—your long time friend. And in a way, it reminded him of himself and Itachi. "Are you alright, Shisui?" You asked, looking at him from the couch.

His back was turned to you, he turned his head to look at you and smiled. "I was just thinking about... Things." He answered carefully, but you raised a brow. Shisui wasn't exactly an easy ghost to read, but you always felt there was something up. The two of you were similar, you always let things eat you up, and the two of you were both some impressive actors.

To ease the tension you had unwillingly built, you smiled. "Well... Thanks for the help, I brought leftovers from the buffet, I figured you'd like some." Another similarity between the two of you was that you both enjoyed a good meal. There was a lot of things you two didn't know about each other, but over time, you were sure the two of you would know each other like the back of your hands. One day, you would know the entire story of the true reason behind the Uchiha massacre. And hopefully, you'd be able to act on it—and deal with Danzo in a way he was never able to.

"Well, if you want to offer..." Shisui smiled, "Your apartment looks a lot better now, M'lady. It looks like someone actually lives here." Now he was grinning, fully pulled out of his thoughts. Maybe you would've been offended if you didn't fully agree—it did look a lot livelier now, most of ot thanks to friends... And late family.

As of recently, life seemed perfect to you.

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

71.5K 1.2K 52
You're the daughter of kakashi hatake. Everything was good and fine in your life, nothing new until your dad decides he wants you to meet his team...
54.3K 1.6K 17
It's gonna be your first day in the academy, you made a few friends & everything was good until you met mitsuki. you start catching feelings for him...
53.8K 1.1K 14
𝐊𝐚𝐤𝐚𝐎𝐛𝐢 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐎𝐛𝐢𝐊𝐚𝐤𝐚 𝐎𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐭𝐬 All of them were written by me. I'll give a summary or some info before hand most of the time i...
113K 4.2K 48
[Naruto Various x Jujutsu Kaisen Reader] (Discontinued) (Y/n), a name she was given the day Sukana found her and adopted her, she was once called the...