Rivals 🌈 ✔

By Venomis

[Completed. Words: 161,083] Long hours pass by when Juice and Raine are both stuck in an elevator. The moment... More

Introduction
1 - Stuck
2 - Not Alone
3 - Experimenting
4 - Spark
5 - Soul Mates
6 - Confusing Desires
7 - Love At First Sight
8 - Gay
9 - Chemistry
10 - Openness
11 - Intoxicating
12 - Medieval Times
13 - One Last Kiss
14 - Consolation
15 - Lovers For One Night
16 - Unknown Intimacy
17 - Conflicts
18 - All Or Nothing
19 - Calm Before The Storm
20 - Good Intentions
21 - Waiting In Fear
22 - Words of Love
23 - Wounded Love Birds
24 - Yours
25 - Sometimes Dreams Come True
26 - Won't End Well
27 - Dead Heroes
28 - Fatal
29 - Fury
30 - Exhausted
31 - Hour of Truth
32 - Impossible
33 - If That Ain't Love
34 - The Epitome of Irony
35 - Condemnation
36 - As Long As We're Together
Author's Note
37 - Collateral Damage
38 - Loyalty
39 - Worth It
40 - For His Own Good
41 - Disgust
42 - Falling Apart
43 - Broken
44 - Picking Sides
45 - Deceit
46 - Hold Me
47 - Never Let Me Go
48 - Guilt
Question
49 - The Right Thing
50 - Criticism
51 - Satisfaction
52 - Down the Drain
53 - Anger
54 - We Belong Together
55 - Pancakes and Princes
56 - Pick-up Lines
57 - Unrest
58 - Worry
Only You
59 - Loss For Words
60 - Family First
61 - For Us
62 - As Good As Dead
63 - World of Pain
64 - Thieves
65 - Rotten
66 - In the Dark of Night
67 - Lost Battle
68 - You're Not Alone
70 - Loose Ends
71 - A Loaded Conscience
72 - Prey
73 - Standoff
74 - To Be a Good Friend
75 - Friendship Means Nothing
76 - A Smile and a Tear
77 - Bear the Burden Together
78 - Waves of Love
79 - Relief
80 - Someday
81 - Till Death Do Us Part
82 - Bait
83 - Cooperating
84 - To Expose the Devil
85 - Settling Things
86 - Done
87 - A Fading Scar
Epilogue

69 - Memories

1.2K 62 12
By Venomis

Phantom wiped his clammy hands on his jeans. If El Padrino saw he was shaking like this, only because he had to wake him from sleep, he could surely forget about his patch. He was supposed to be afraid of nothing, not even his President. Still, Phantom was afraid of making a misstep. The thing with Esai already made him feel like he had threaded the eye of the needle, and keeping his sexuality hidden didn't help either. He felt like he had already drawn too much negative attention to himself as a prospect.

Besides, this was about Raine—his brother who'd got shunned by the others lately. But not by Alvarez. Not by the club president. If Phantom understood the signals correctly, Alvarez still considered Raine a surrogate son. His relationship with the Son had not changed that.

Phantom pressed the doorbell.

Earlier he'd tried to reach the man by phone but it had been unsuccessful. I don't have a choice. He tried to pull himself together as he waited for the bell to be answered—if that would happen at all since it was past two. His thoughts shot to Juice, who was now in the hospital, terrified, waiting for news about Raine and biting his nails because he was afraid his brothers were coming to finish the job.

What had he said again? That the Mayans had looted their armory? Was such a thing really possible without Phantom having noticed anything? Or had they sent him to another charter for that very reason, because they didn't trust him?

But then they certainly would have sent Raine with him.

Unless Raine had wanted to prove himself loyal. 

Before he could muse further, the light on the landing went on. A beat later, the door opened. Phantom's cheeks heat up as he saw the oh-so-respected club president standing there in his robe.

"Phantom? What's going on?" Past Phantom, Alvarez looked down the street, as if he couldn't believe Phantom was standing here by himself.

"Juice called. The Sons tortured Raine, they believe we stormed their armory. According to Juice, it's not certain if Raine will survive but he is afraid his brothers will come and finish the job."

A dark cloud passed over Alvarez's face. "No such thing will happen. Where are they now?"

"At St. Thomas."

"Get there right away. I'll rustle up the others. Do the Sons know he's there?: 

"I got the feeling Juice believed that's a matter of time."

"Hurry."

Phantom gave a nod. As usual, he checked if his gun was loaded, then he left the garden path and climbed his motorcycle.

. . .

Normally they wouldn't send one Mayan into enemy territory—much less a prospect—but a hospital was neutral territory. Surely the Sons would not open a firefight there. If they wanted to kill Raine, they would do it in a sneaky way. Still, Phantom felt far from comfortable as he parked his bike and entered the hospital.

I'm here, he texted the phone Juice had used to make the call. That was not the number he had saved under Juice's name—apparently, he did not have access to his own phone.

It wasn't long before he received a message back telling him in what waiting room Juice was. Once he got there, he saw that Skye was already keeping her best friend company. Sammy was there, too, along with her little niece and Raine's father.

"Any news yet?" Phantom asked.

With a pale face, Juice shook his head. His eyes were red and there were deep circles underneath them.

It was as if he saw his younger self standing there—distraught, not knowing where to look, waiting for an answer you weren't sure you were ready for. Phantom swallowed the lump in his throat. Suddenly this was all getting way too close.

At least Juice isn't alone.

That was already a very different situation than his own.

"The other Mayans are on their way, too. Have you heard from your brothers yet?"

"They are no longer my brothers." Darkness glowed in Juice's eyes that sent a shiver down Phantom's spine. He decided never to refer to the Sons that way again.

"No, of course not," he muttered. "Sorry."

Juice didn't reply. He turned his gaze back to the door to where the operating rooms were probably located.

"Next coffee round!"

Phantom turned to the doorway through which he had just stepped himself. It was an unknown man entering the room with a tray of coffee. However, there were no others in the waiting area, from which Phantom concluded that this had to be an acquaintance of Raine as well.

"Thanks." Skye flashed the man a warm smile and took two cups from him, handing them to Juice and Sammy before taking two more.

"The visitor count has expanded, I see," the man remarked. "Would you like some coffee, too?"

"Anytime. But I can get it myself...?"

"Nah. All that running back and forth keeps me awake." The man lifted the corner of his mouth and turned around.

Phantom caught himself watching the man walk away and quickly tore his gaze away. He joined Skye. "Is that your boyfriend?" he somewhat awkwardly started a conversation.

Skye chuckled. "Not yet." She gave him a wink. "But it sure is a nice guy. He found Raine at the dump and brought him here. Then he wanted to stay until Juice was no longer alone and well, he probably just wants to know if he was still in time, too."

Phantom looked over his shoulder as the man came back in. It said a lot about his personality that he had stayed. He accepted the cup of coffee.

"I'm Ezra," the stranger introduced himself.

"Phantom."

"Phantom?" the man repeated. A playful glint lighted up his eyes.  At first glance, it seemed out of place in a situation like this, yet to Phantom it was distracting in a pleasant way. "That sounds mysterious."

"I'm very mysterious, too."

It just happened—that flirtatious tone, and holding Ezra's gaze. A warm glow spread across his cheeks. Not only because he was openly flirting with a guy, also because Raine was dying right now.

After a polite smile, Phantom quickly sat down in a chair. A little uncomfortable, he watched as Ezra sat down next to him. He was a handsome guy, with expressive eyes and a cool haircut. And he smelled nice. Especially for someone coming from a dump.

"What were you doing at that dump?" Phantom asked in an attempt to distract himself from further inappropriate thoughts. "I understood from Skye that you found Raine. Are you doing surveillance there or something?"

Ezra looked briefly at him before his gaze slid to the prospect patch. The corner of his mouth curled up again, and there was something way too attractive about his casual grin. "Since I suspect you're not too law-abiding either..." Ezra leaned a little closer. "We were stealing something. My brother and I."

"From a dump?" Phantom answered in disbelief.

Ezra shrugged. "There's more treasure there than you'd think and nobody does anything with it anymore anyway."

With a slight grin on his lips, Phantom shook his head. "I"m glad you have that wacky hobby then. What would have become of Raine otherwise..."

"I'd rather not think about that either," Ezra commented. He slid his hands together and rubbed a bloodstain under his knuckle.

A silence fell. Phantom sat up a little straighter. Sitting here still caused an oppressive feeling in his chest. Until his brothers showed up, he felt responsible for Raine's safety, but he did feel like the walls were closing in on him.

It had been ten years since he himself had looked at the door with a frightened expression, his hands red with blood. Ten years since he had heard that terrible news.

I'm sorry, boy. We couldn't save him.

Would those words soon cause Juice's world to collapse as well?

It had taken him years to claw his way back up. He had been very close to the precipice, had hovered very dangerously above it a few times. He had pulled through.

But Juice, could he do the same?

It was also his brothers who took a loved one from him.

"Hey, you okay?" Ezra nudged his shoulder. "Here, maybe this awesome playlist will help you out a little." The man plugged a cord into his phone and offered Phantom an earpiece. "Music makes everything a little better if you ask me."

The unexpected offer helped him to let go of the memories again. "Got bad memories of waiting rooms," he muttered as he put in the earpiece.

"If you want to get some fresh air, I can go with you, you know."

Phantom smiled. Skye had been right. What a great guy.

Ezra also put in an earpiece and opened his Spotify list. Phantom glanced at the screen and, to his surprise, saw a familiar band.

"Hey, From Ashes To New. That's one of my favorite bands."

"Really? And I thought no one knew that band."

Phantom chuckled softly. He had thought that way, too. His eyes met Ezra's for a moment, and he felt a tingling low in his stomach.

Was this the spark Raine and Juice felt when they were trapped together in that elevator? A situation that was completely fucked-up but which still led them to the love of their lives?

A stupid grin came to Phantom's lips as he caught himself on that silly thought. Get over yourself. Ezra is just a nice guy and has good taste in music. That's all there is.

"Have you ever been to one of their concerts?" Ezra asked.

Phantom shook his head. "No. I didn't think it would be a lot of fun on my own." Oh well, what do I care? I won't be seeing him after tonight anyway, so I have nothing to lose. "But next time, if you come with me..."

"Is a tough biker like you too shy to speak to anyone?" 

"I haven't been a tough biker that long, you know," Phantom countered with a teasing grin.

The man laughed softly, though he then cast a quick glance at Juice and Raine's other family members. Phantom bent his head and felt the shame rise within him.

You're really sitting here flirting with someone while others are terrified.

He was getting nauseous with himself.

At that moment, he heard voices in the hallway. Several of his brothers entered the room. Swiftly Phantom stood up; the plug popped out of his ear.

"No news yet?" Alvarez asked.

Phantom shook his head.

His president heaved a sigh. "I'm going to talk to the Son."

"He's not a Son anymore," Phantom blurted out. His face flushed when Alvarez raised his eyebrows questioningly. "He quit," he declared.

Alvarez rested his gaze for a moment on Juice, who didn't even seem to have noticed the arrival of the Mayans. "Then that kid has more balls than I thought."

Approval sounded in his voice.

It reassured Phantom a bit—surely it would do Juice well to find that Alvarez would be there for him. Juice's club may have let him down—but the Mayans wouldn't.

Or at least, that's what I hope.

"Keep watch outside," Alvarez instructed him, before making his way toward Juice.

Phantom gave a nod and slipped out of the crowded room. Outside the hospital, he found a bench where he lit a cigarette. There was no sign of the Sons yet.

A tingle danced across his skin as someone sat down next to him. In a flash, he hoped it was Ezra—and indeed it turned out to be. This time he didn't give him an earpiece, but he turned on his Spotify at low volume.

"Was it too much for you to be there?"

"I had to stand guard here," Phantom replied. "But yeah, I'm glad I don't have to stay there."

"Have you lost someone? In a waiting room like that?"

"You do ask personal questions to someone you don't know."

Ezra raised his eyebrows. "The best way to get to know someone though, right? Besides, answering isn't mandatory."

Phantom liked his straightforwardness—just as the fact that Ezra wanted to get to know him better. It was a little uncomfortable, this whole situation. He couldn't deny that he felt attracted to Ezra, but the man could just be out for a friendly chat. Which was fine, too. Really.

"My brother," he told him after a deep sigh. "After a shooting. I was sitting there by myself biting my nails. And when they came ... and said he wasn't there anymore..." He tried to swallow the lump in his throat. "Then there was nobody around. I was all alone."

"Holy shit man. That's so fucking intense. How old were you?

"Fifteen," he muttered.

He dropped his eyes. And the one person he'd wanted to go to ... he had vowed never to go to again.

"No wonder you find this intense."

Phantom bit his cheek. "He was in a gang. We both were. It was during a gang war ... I was there when he was shot."

He would never forget that bold grin on his brother's killer's face.

Phantom felt a hand on his shoulder. It was a crazy realization that such a gesture could still feel so welcome after ten years.

"My older brother was also in a gang. More than once I was afraid it would kill him - I've also seen him with terrible bullet wounds. And he went in and out of prison ... I won't claim to know how you feel, because my brother is still alive ... but I can imagine your fear."

Phantom looked up. He could see that Ezra was honest and that they really came from a neighborhood that couldn't be that different from each other. It made him even more curious about the man next to him. It really was as if something clicked between them.

Phantom almost forgot that his friend was fighting for his life a few hundred meters away. He listened to the music that connected them, shared some tidbits about his past, and felt himself almost literally growing closer to Ezra as the man did the same.

By the time the sun rose, Phantom believed that Ezra and he really could be friends. Maybe they already were.

Until a car stopped in front of them and the window was turned down.

"What are you still doing here man?" the man behind the wheel asked Ezra. "We have more to do today."

A horrible chill crept into Phantom's body. That dark gaze, that shaved head, the tattoo on his arm... Suddenly he couldn't breathe.

That was him.

That was his brother's killer.

. . .

This was a little build-up to Phantom's spin-off. 

Next chapter we'll obviously go back to Raine and Juice, but well, Raine was still in surgery anyway and I wanted to set some things in motion for the spin-off. (: 

I hope you still liked it! 

If you enjoyed this chapter and you want to support me as a writer, it would mean the world to me if you'd leave a comment, vote and follow my profile ♥

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.6K 596 33
"Goodbye, Sam Thomas Foster," "Goodbye, Michael October Valley," ------ When Michael came out, life as he knew it ended. Everything fell apart and h...
1.2K 140 33
For Cameron Daniels it was a love story that began with just one look. A look from a new boy at school that seemed to search deep into his soul and f...
Energizer By alien

General Fiction

92.6K 4.6K 23
Completed. BoyxBoy. Being an artist has its perks, but that's not all Ari is skilled at. Caring, but an asshole, Ari agrees to paint a canvas for a...
109K 8.4K 51
Alex has been looking for a sign from the universe. A sign to tell him that he needs to keep fighting. To live on for his brother who died in a tragi...