My Cruel Mates

By barngrjl

Claire lives in a world where dragons, werewolves, vampires and other supernatural beings treat humans as mea... More

A/N
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Epilogue

Chapter 27

28.7K 852 25
By barngrjl

Claire

I woke up warm and incredibly comfortable. My eyes fluttered open to bright light shining in the windows. I looked around to see both of my mates sorrounding me. They both had an arm and a leg wrapped around me, nestled in close. I was surprised that I wasn't dying of heat stroke. That is probably one benefit of the marking. I pressed a kiss to both of their cheeks and slipped out from under them, padding into the bathroom. I stretched and yawned, feeling very well rested. After going to the bathroom I observed myself in the mirror. My color looked better, my hair shinier, my muscles a little more defined, but the two bright red marks on either side of my neck were the biggest changes. Bennett's moon had healed and looked beautiful, but Rowan's flame was still very red, almost looking real.

"Do you like them?" I hear a deep voice from behind me. I jump a little, startled as I didn't hear Rowan walk in. I smile at him as he comes up behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me into his bare chest.

"I do. They're beautiful." I say wistfully and he nods as my eyes land on the evergreen tree I left on his neck, just like Bennett's.

"Why is mine a tree? It's so boring." I huff and Rowan chuckles, pressing a kiss to my neck before answering.

"A human's mark correlates to whatever element they identify with the most. Earth, fire, water or wind. You must be more closely connected to the earth. Which makes sense with a werewolf mate. Wolves are very in tune with nature." He explains and I nod.

"Well, I hate camping." I say firmly and am greeted with his boisterous laughter. The sound makes me smile and I turn in his arms, tucking myself in closer to him. He holds me for awhile before pulling me back into the bedroom.

I wince a little as I climb back into the bed, the pain between my legs evidence of what we did the day before.

"Sore, little one?" Rowan asks with a proud smirk.

"Yes. So you'll need to take care of me today. Breakfast, please." I command and he chuckles.

"I'll wait until Bennett wakes. He's been paying closer attention to your cooking lessons. I want you to actually be able to eat it." He says with a smile.

"Well, maybe you need to pay better attention." I admonish him and he chuckles.

"I try, but for some reason my eyes always focus on your ass instead." He says laughing. I gasp at him, smacking him playfully. He pulls me into his arms and tucks my head under his chin.

"Settle down, little demon." He murmurs, kissing my head. I relax into him, closing my eyes.

"You guys don't feel like furnaces anymore." I muse and his chest rumbles under me making me relax more.

"Good. I'm glad you won't hate sleeping with us anymore." He says and I can't help but laugh a little.

We lay like that in contented silence until Bennett stirs next to us. He pops his head up, his brown hair messy from sleep making him look adorable. A sleepy smile curls on his face and I smile back as he scoots over to nuzzle against me before leaning up to kiss Rowan.

"How are you this morning?" He asks and I shrug.

"Fine. Why?" I ask and his eyes narrow at Rowan.

"He was a little rough last night." Bennett says and Rowan growls a little. I shoosh them both and roll over to snuggle into Bennett.

"Oh, stop. He was fine." I say and Rowan snarls a little behind me.

"Fine?!" He exclaims and I can't stop my giggles.

"I'm sorry. He was fantasic. Earth shattering. Life altering. Incredible. Better?" I ask and Rowan nods.

"Yes. Better." He says, still pouting a little but I turn back to Bennett.

"But I am sore so I will require being doted on today." I say firmly and Bennett tilts his head back to roar out a laugh before pushing himself off the bed.

"Now I see why Rowan calls you little demon." He says affectionately and Rowan scoffs.

"You're just now seeing why?" He asks incredulously and I growl at him a little. They both smile and chuckle at me.

"You have a cute growl." Rowan says and this enrages me so I lunge at him, biting down on his forearm. Rowan roars and pulls his arm out of my mouth scowling at me.

"What the fuck was that?" He asks and I smirk at him.

"Not so cute now, am I?" I ask cheekily. Rowan rolls his eyes and scoops me out of bed before plopping me down on the couch. I grunt at the fall and scowl at him.

"That's what you get for biting me." He says unapologetically. I shrug and cross my arms over my chest.

"Worth it." I mutter making Bennett chuckle. I watch from the living room as they cook breakfast together. All they need is aprons and they'd be the perfect picture of domesticity. Bennett really has taken well to my cooking lessons and breakfast is not just edible, but delicous.

"We're going to take you out in the woods today and practice some of your new abilities so you can get a feel for your strength and speed." Bennett says and I nod in agreement.

"Once you get a handle on things, we can go back to the capital." Rowan adds and I look at him confused.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Well, we don't usually live here. We just came to check on the house when we found you. We only meant to stay a few days to get out of the capital. But we live there full time so it's easier for me to go to meetings. Not as much travel." Rowan explains and I swallow hard.

"You want me to live in a city full of supernaturals?" I ask and Rowan nods.

"They can't hurt you now that you're marked. And the dragons will look to you as a queen." Rowan says and that makes me even more nervous. Bennett must notice because he puts me on his lap and snuggles me close.

"What's wrong, little one? We know it will be a big adjustment, but we'll be there." Bennett says trying to calm me, but it doesn't do much to help.

"I know you two won't hurt me but..."

"But what?" Rowan prods and I take a deep breath.

"I'm still terrified of supernaturals." I whisper and they both give me a sad look.

"Claire, no one will touch you. Not only are you a fully marked human mate, you are queen of the dragons. You will have more power than any other superantural. Except the ones on the council." Rowan explains gently and I feel my eyes fill with tears. A few fall and Bennett's wolf whines.

"Why are you crying, baby?" He asks, holding me tighter.

"I'm sorry it's just... memories of my parents. Supernaturals killing humans in the streets, it's just scary to think about being sorrounded by them. I had never even talked to one until you two." I say quietly. Bennett kisses my head and wipes my tears.

"You will never go anywhere alone. We'll give you time to adjust. And if you hate it, we'll just come back here." Rowan offers but I shake my head.

"I don't want you to leave us here when you have to go." I say and Rowan shrugs.

"You can go with me. We don't have to stay in the capital all the time. We can travel, show you new places, new experiences. You have a lot of opportunities now." Rowan says and I nod, sniffing back my tears.

"And now you'll talk to the council about humans?" I ask pointedly of Rowan and he nods.

"At the next meeting. I promise, Claire. You can even come if you want." He says and I feel my eyes go wide with shock.

"Really? You'd let me go?" I ask and he shrugs.

"Of course. You're the queen. You have every right to be there." He says and I look at Bennett.

"What about Bennett. Does he get to go?" I ask and Rowan nods.

"If he wants. I am the only one that gets a vote, but I always listen to Bennett's opinions especially when the issue is with wolves." He says and Bennett nods.

"Yes, but I stopped going a few decades ago. Those meetings are fucking boring." Bennett says making me laugh.

I wrap my arms around his neck and snuggle in closer to him, looking around the living room of the house that at first was my prison, but has turned into my haven.

"I don't want to leave yet." I whisper and I can feel Bennett smile against my cheek as he kisses me.

"We'll stay as long as you want, and come back whenever you want." He says and I grin at him and his easy agreement.

These two might be the beasts, but I think I may have tamed them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

351K 13.5K 35
This story is the sequel to my previous story "King of the Vamps". It would be beneficial to read that story first as you will be introduced to some...
2.3K 141 57
Elizabeth, a young lady who was a wolf hunter as a side proffesion but a well known business woman suddenly stumbles upon a person who changes her en...
2.9K 121 36
Michelle's life was almost perfect. Loving family, great college, perfect grades, good friends, and a crush on one of the sweetest guys she's met. Th...
476K 23.6K 65
"Do you remember calling me 'mate?'" he asked softly, pushing her wild curls away from her face. She blushed deeply, but he wouldn't let her look awa...