My Cruel Mates

By barngrjl

Claire lives in a world where dragons, werewolves, vampires and other supernatural beings treat humans as mea... More

A/N
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Epilogue

Chapter 23

25.8K 920 29
By barngrjl

Rowan

I hate admitting to myself how much it hurt to fly away from Bennett and Claire. The tears on her face when I went to leave nearly broke me. Bennett and I had never separated before she entered our lives. Where I went, so did he. But it was too dangerous to bring Claire and I could now admit that I actually care what happens to her. I feel a little guilty about it actually. It took me a long time to warm up to Bennett, but Claire has this sweet vulnerability to her that has my heart softening much faster than it did with Bennett.

I can't help but think about what she said about the humans. She's right, of course. Many supernaturals have human mates. Not so much wolves for some reason, but it's not unheard of for them either. Perhaps she's right. Maybe the high instance of mateless supernaturals is because we don't protect the humans and they are killed off before their mates can find them and turn them immortal.

I wonder if it really did take so long to find our next human mate because we simply weren't gifted with one, or if others had been killed. Either way, I'm quite pleased with Claire. She's smart, sweet and her quick mouth is always a source of entertainment.

Soon the capital city comes into view, having flown this way so many times the trip barely bothers me anymore. I land on the steps of the council's headquarters and shift. There are no humans in this city, only supernaturals and a majority of the dragons that reside here come to seee me, their king. I've never been particularly fond of the role, but it was my father's before me. When my mother was killed he couldn't handle the pressure anymore and passed on the crown to me.

I climb the stairs and head straight for the meeting room, not wanting this to last any longer than necessary. When I enter, it looks like only the High Lord of the Fae is missing.

Those pretentious assholes always like to make us wait.

I roll my eyes at the thought and take my seat next to the Alpha of Werewolves. Atticus nods his head at me and looks back towards the door as the other leaders engage in small talk.

I fucking hate small talk.

I have no patience for these meetings. If I wanted to sit around and have pointless conversations with douche bags all day I'd talk to myself in a mirror. At least Bennett and Claire have some redeeming qualities and are basically forced to like me.

I'm a lucky asshole.

There's a knock on the door and a man pops his head in. Atticus motions for the man to approach and I can't stop the audible groan that comes from me.

"Now, now Dragon King. Play nice." Atticus says with a smirk.

"If only Damon didn't have to be so fucking annoying." I murmur back making Atticus laugh heartily. Damon crosses the room quickly and thrusts a folder in Atticus' hand.

"Here are the documents you requested on the land dispute, Alpha." Damon says before turning his eyes to me and giving me an annoying smirk.

"Trouble in paradise, Rowan?" He asks and I snarl at him.

"What are you talking about?" I ask and Damon shrugs.

"I didn't see your loyal lap dog with you today." He says and my chest rumbles with anger.

"Refer to my mate as a dog one more time. See what happens." I seethe and Atticus smacks Damon on the back of the head.

"Knock that shit off, Damon. And refer to him as King." Atticus says and a small kernel of appreciation grows in me for the man. I don't particularly like him, but I dislike him the least of my fellow leaders.

The only people on this planet that I like are Bennett and Claire.

"He's not my king. I'm not a dragon." Damon says and Atticus growls at him.

"But I am your Alpha and I am ordering you to refer to him as King!" Atticus bellows angrily and Damon rolls his eyes, but nods.

"Yes, Alpha. So, King Rowan, where is your mate?" He asks and I shrug.

"I don't see how that's any of your business." I say boredly but he just chuckles.

"He wasn't with you last time either. How very curious. You know what I think?" He asks and I scoff.

"No, thank goodness, I don't know what you think." I say, but he just smiles again.

"I think you found another human mate. And that you didn't want to risk her here." He says and the hair on the back of my neck raises. The way he says that makes me uncomfortable with him having that knowledge. Like he could put Claire in danger.

"Hardly. We recently moved to a different house. It has Bennett's favorite forest. He'd much rather spend his days running through the trees in wolf form than be stuck here with you dumbasses." I say and Atticus chuckles next to me.

"Can't say I blame him." He says, obviously believing my story, but Damon continues to watch me curiously.

"In my opinion-" Damon starts but I cut him off.

"No one gives a shit about your opinion, Damon." I say, obviously annoyed.

"My father does." He says.

Oh, the daddy card. I wondered how long it would take him to pull that one out.

"No one gives a shit about your father's opinion either. He is a former Alpha. Defeated. Weak. The council doesn't even request his opinion on matters to deal with wolves anymore. The only reason you are so high ranking is because of him. So stop pushing to be more important than you are, Damon. If your Alpha won't put you in your place I'd be more than happy to do so." I tell him with a snarl. His face turns red as he fights a shift, I can tell with the way fur sprouts on his arms.

"That's enough, Damon! You are dismissed." Atticus shouts. Damon looks at him before turning to leave the room.

"I can't stand that fucker." I tell him and Atticus sighs.

"Trust me. Neither can I. But I promised his father I would give him a high position when I defeated him. He wasn't a bad Alpha, he had just gotten lazy so I figured I'd do him the favor. Of course I didn't know at the time what a fucking prick the kid is." Atticus says just as the High Lord enters the room.

"Finally! Let's get this shit over with!" I yell as the obnoxious man takes his seat and throws me a scowl. I glare at him back as Atticus starts discussing the land dispute between his wolves and I fight the sleep that's begging to overtake me.

With Damon spreading rumors about me possibly having a human mate, I decide against bringing up Claire's idea. I'll have to wait until she's marked and protected from these creatures. I need to keep her safe.

After an incredibly boring meeting, I walk up to my room and lock the door behind me, letting out a heavy breath. The silence is a welcome reprieve for a few moments until I imagine Bennett and Claire in the kitchen making dinner together. A pang of longing goes through me and I fight the urge to fly home tonight. I know I'm tired and need to sleep before doing the trip again. But I still miss them.

This feeling is new and I don't like it.

I lay down in bed and focus on my bond with Bennett. It's almost like feeling him next to me. I feel him getting anxious and wonder if I need to be concerned, but then the anxiety shifts to arousal and I can't help but smile, feeling my own cock harden in my pants. I reach down to palm myself as I feel his arousal heighten. I groan imagining what the two of them are getting up to together.

My imagination runs wild as I pull out my cock and stroke it from root to tip. I'm so lost in thought that when Bennett's voice rings through my mind it startles me.

"Rowan!" He says excitedly.

"Yes, love?" I ask teasingly. He knows I can feel what he is getting up to with our little mate.

"Claire wants me to take her." He says and I'm sure he can feel my shock through our bond.

"Really?" I ask.

"Yes. But she's worried you'll be upset if you're not here for her first time." I smile as affection for my little demon grows in me. She's more thoughtful than I will ever be.

"I won't be upset." I say and I feel Bennett's wariness.

"Are you sure? I don't want you to feel jealous or left out." He says and I chuckle a little.

"It should be you, Bennett. You have been much better with her than I have and I know you'll be gentle. You'll take care of her." I say and Bennett snickers.

"Yeah. You like it rough." He says and I laugh.

"I do. But she doesn't need that for her first time. Just be careful. Make her feel special. Important." I say and I can feel his nerves again.

"How long has it been since you've been with a woman?" I ask curiously and he laughs again.

"I don't even remember, Rowan." He says and I smile despite myself.

"It'll be alright. Just make sure to get her ready first and go slow." I say and I can feel his confidence growing.

"What should I tell Claire? About you?" He asks and I think for a moment.

"You can tell her that she can make it up to me when I get home." I say, unable to keep a smirk off my face.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 70 5
WARNING: EXCERPT ONLY! "And you smell delicious too." He whispered beside my ear. "Like honey and cinnamon were mixed to create a scent so irresistib...
1.2M 43.2K 49
Liam was actually excited to find his mate. It would be nice to have someone to help him with pack business. Keeping the borders safe and punishing r...
7.5K 226 109
His irises swirled slowly, an enticing pale silver against his stark black lashes. They illuminated slightly, so quick it was gone in a blink. He bro...
196 0 14
**** loves dancing as is great at it. After a war 12 years ago sent human kind to go extinct. Now everywhere you look is half breeds and shifters. Di...