My Cruel Mates

By barngrjl

Claire lives in a world where dragons, werewolves, vampires and other supernatural beings treat humans as mea... More

A/N
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Epilogue

Chapter 21

28.6K 898 34
By barngrjl

Claire

I felt like death the morning after I drank that dragon booze, but luckily Bennett was willing to take care of me. It was a strange feeling, since I was basically on my own after my parents were killed when I was a child. Having someone to feed me, help me to the bathroom, keep me entertained while I laid in bed, it was a new and heartwarming experience. Rowan was quite the opposite, practically ignoring me. He said it was my own fault that I was in that predicament so he didn't have any pity for me. I couldn't totally blame him, but I still missed his presence.

I blame that on the mate thing.

By the next day I was back to my usual self. The boys let me cook all of the meals as Bennett watched, willing to learn how to cook food that I liked. It was sweet and I felt my heart expand for him. When I was able to return his affections, not be terrified of him and not upsetting his wolf, he was actually very attentive and kind.

Also insanely hot.

I felt my body heat every time he got close to me. I think he knew that with the little touches he would sneak and all of the cuddles he dished out. Laying on the couch in the evening between the two of them was turning into my favorite part of the day. I was struggling a little, not having a real purpose. I was used to a schedule, a job, putting in hard work and passing out from exhaustion at the end of the day. At first I was in fear for my life so often, I hadn't noticed the gaping hole that I was now trying to fill. But as the days wore on, the more bored I became.

I had just finished another breakfast as was sitting down to eat when I heard Rowan roar from the other room. I ignored it at first. It seems these creatures throw a tantrum for even the smallest inconvenience that pops up.

And they think I'm emotional.

But when he came storming out of the room, his eyes glowing gold and fists clenched tight I knew he was really pissed.

"What's wrong Rowan?" I ask him, walking up to him and putting my hands on either side of his face.

I have learned that touching them is the easiest way to calm them down. The sparks we feel help to soothe them, even moreso than me. I knew my heart was beating fast, but I tried to swallow the fear. I knew he wasn't mad at me. At least I didn't think he had any reason to be. He watches me for a moment, taking deep breaths, until his arms shoot out and wrap around my waist, hauling me into his chest. Bennett comes inside from a run in the forest at that moment, likely hearing Rowan's roar, and watches us closely. I relax into Rowan's gentle hold, nuzzling my face into his chest. I feel his muscles relax under me and he sighs heavily.

"The council has called me back." He says quietly and Bennett whines.

"What do you mean?" I ask, looking up into his face. His eyes are back to grey and his gaze turns soft as he meets mine.

"It means I have to leave for awhile." He says softly and my heart drops to my stomach. I was quickly becoming attached to these beasts, I wasn't sure how I would fare being away from them.

"Can you take us with you?" I ask him and he shakes his head.

"No. Not until you're marked. I don't want you anywhere near other supernaturals. Any other people at all for that matter." He says with a little growl and I huff out a breath as tears threaten my eyes.

"But I want to go. I'll be safe with you and Bennett." I say and he growls again.

"I'm not willing to risk it, Claire. If something happened to you... If someone touched you... I would kill them without a second thought." He says firmly and I feel a traitorous tear track down my face.

"I don't want you to leave." I say, choking on my tears. Rowan's eyes turn soft again and he reaches out to wipe a tear from my face before leaning down to kiss me softly. I throw my arms around him and hold him close.

"I'm sorry, little one. I don't want to leave either, but when the council is called into session I need to go." He says quietly and I nod, looking over at Bennett who wraps his arms around the both of us.

"What is the council?" I ask. Rowan sighs and scoops me into his arms, sitting at the table full of food that I no longer have an appetite for.

"The council consists of the leaders of the supernaturals. The Alpha of Werewolves, the High Priestess of Witches, the Queen of Vampires, the High Lord of the Fae..."

"And the Dragon King." I supply and Rowan nods.

"When there are issues facing supernaturals, we convene and work on a fair solution."

"What's the problem this time?" Bennett asks and Rowan rolls his eyes.

"Another land dispute among wolves. I swear it never ends." He says bitterly and Bennett chuckles.

"We wolves are territorial." He says with a heated gaze that bounces betwen Rowan and I.

"But there are no humans on this council?" I ask and Rowan shakes his head.

"They're not supernatural." He explains but my brow furrows in confusion and anger.

"So who speaks for us?" I ask and Rowan shrugs.

"No one. Humans do their own thing." He says and I shake my head.

"No we don't. We try to survive in a world full of creatures that have no respect for our lives." I spit angrily and Rowan scowls.

"We tried to work with the humans, Claire. We tried to live our lives peacefully. They tried to kill us off." He shoots back.

"Are any of those people still alive? The ones that made those decisions?" I ask and Rowan scoffs.

"Of course not. We took care of them right away." He says.

"Then why are we still paying for their sins?" I ask and he goes to retort, but stops short.

"I watched my parents be drained of their lives right in front of me. When I was only twelve years old. That's murder, Rowan. Even if we don't have special powers, even if we don't live forever, we still matter. We're still people." I say, softening my tone so he doesn't take offense. His takes a deep breath and sighs.

"I don't know, Claire. It's always been like this. Humans just don't matter to us in the grand scheme of things." He says and I feel my hackles raise.

"I'm human. Right?" I ask and he rolls his eyes.

"Yes. But you're our mate." He says and I nod.

"So it's safe to assume that other humans could be the mates of other supernaturals. Right?" I ask and he nods, watching me and wondering where I'm going with this.

"And you care for me, right? At least a little bit with that cold, reptilian heart?" I ask with a little smirk. He growls at me a little but nods.

"Yes. I care for you."

"So how would you feel if you only got one mate, and she was human, and she was killed by a vampire. Sucked dry. The other part of your soul. Or she died when an apartment building collapsed because a couple of wolves got into an argument?" Rowan's arms tighten around me and Bennett growls from beside me.

"I'd be pissed. What's your point, little demon?" Rowan asks, clearly getting exasperated with my little exercise.

"My point is, humans aren't immortal. They have no way to defend themselves. Rather than looking at them as insignifcant, perhaps you could treat them more as... precious. Something to be protected and cared for. Even if only for the purpose that they could be mated to a supernatural. How many of them are wandering around mateless because their person was killed?" I ask and Rowan shrugs.

"There's no way to know." He answers.

"Well, would it really hurt to give humans a safe place to live, away from supernaturals? To make laws against feeding on them or using them as pawns?" I ask and Rowan sits and contemplates for a moment.

"You may have a point, sweet girl." He says softly, leaning forward to peck my cheek. I smile at him and reach out to run my hand down the stubble on his face.

"Imagine a world where humans aren't terrifed of the creatures you are. If they are taught about mates. How much easier would things have been for us at the beginning if I wasn't scared of you?" I ask quietly and they both nod.

"These are big changes you are proposing, Claire. I'm not sure how realistic your expectations are." Rowan says solemnly and I nod in understanding.

"I'm not asking for anything other than for you to think about it. I have no expectations. It just... it would mean a lot to me if you would think about bringing it up with the others." I say. Rowan sighs again and rests his head on my shoulder.

"I'll bring it up. See what the others think. But right now I do need to go." He says and I fling my arms around his neck, clinging to him. He chuckles as Bennett watches us with a warm smile. Rowan stands and tries to put me down, but I continue to cling to him.

"How long will you be gone?" Bennett asks.

"Just a few days. I was just there I'm not staying a week again." He says, giving Bennett a firm kiss.

Bennett wraps his arms around me and pries me from Rowan's arms. Tears gather in my eyes again and Rowan's face softens when he sees them.

"I know it's hard to be away from your mate for the first time, little one. I will miss you too. Both of you. But I will be back as soon as I can. Ok?" He says softly. I nod and wipe my tears when Rowan leans down to press his lips against mine.

We follow him outside and watch him strip, throwing his clothes in bag. We watch him shift, his beautiful cobalt dragon stretching it's wings to prepare for flight. His large head leans down and licks both of our faces as we laugh, before gripping his bag in his mouth and flapping his huge wings. As the forced air hits my face, I struggle to breathe until he reaches a high enough altitude and takes off into the clear blue sky. A sob escapes me and Bennett tightens his arms around me.

"It'll be ok, little one. I'm still here with you." He says sweetly and I give him a watery smile.

"I'm glad you're here." I say quietly, holding firmly onto his neck as I watch Rowan's dragon disappear, a little hole forming in my heart where he should be.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 141 57
Elizabeth, a young lady who was a wolf hunter as a side proffesion but a well known business woman suddenly stumbles upon a person who changes her en...
5.9M 157K 37
My mum always used to tell me what it's like to see your mate for the first time. She used to say that at that moment, everything around you stopped...
258K 17.4K 20
Lydia Anabor's life was one full of peace and adventure growing up side by side with her father. The only thing that really bugged her was the consta...
268K 10.8K 49
[COMPLETED] ೋღ🌹ღೋ He stands roughly a few feet away from me, his body towering over my crouched one. I bring my legs up to my chest, pushing myself...