Never Bend

Door MiriamJ1

Annie doesn't know it, but magic surrounds her life and follows her every move. Between her recurring dreams... Meer

Synopsis
Prologue
Chapter 1: Life, eternal flow
Chapter 2: Confusion
Chapter 3 : Astounded
Chapter 4 : The Unknown
Chapter 5 : Surprise, surprise
Chapter 6 : Mom
Chapter 7 : Mom part 2
Chapter 8 : Opposites attract
Chapter 9 : He and I
Chapter 10 : A new ME
Chapter 11 : Temptation
Chapter 12 : Killer Mood
Chapter 13 : Magic and desires
Chapter 15 : Plastic Doll
Chapter 16: Davon and Mom
Chapter 17 : Revelations
Chapter 18 : surprise
chapter 19 : In-Between
chapter 20 : In the open
chapter 21: Deliverance
Chapter 22: Truth revealed
Chapitre 23: Tailspin
Chapter 24: Storm
Chapter 25: Torrent
chapter 26: Spinning
chapter 27: pretending
Mom
Danger ahead
Mom/Dad
Isabella and Annie
Extra 5: Davon/Damon finale

Chapter 14 : Suspicion

57 8 52
Door MiriamJ1

╔═.✵.══════════╗
The truth will change
her life forever.
╚══════════.✵.═╝
╔═.✵.══════════╗
TOM
╚══════════.✵.═╝

Magic leaves ripples and any tracer could find them. Annie was a ticking time bomb without knowing, she was about to attract attention. The kind of attention the council avoided at all costs. Which meant they were willing to sacrifice anyone if it meant saving the clan.

Everyone was afraid of Davon. Even though I'd never met him, even my father feared him. That was enough for me. After all, if such a strong beast could tremble in fear just by hearing his name, that was bad. I mean, he was so cruel, and even with me, his son, he knew neither mercy nor second chances. But Davon was everywhere in our history books. His existence was one of the many enigmas I was trying to solve.

Now there was Annie, like a child, rippling magic whenever she was overwhelmed by emotion. Which was strange in itself. She was old enough for her magic to be erased or controlled, but here she was, oblivious to it all, exposing our species and I was supposed to protect her.

Well I had to keep an eye on her, but her existence was too interesting. I mean, a person with her powers is supposed to have her memories wiped or be brainwashed, and this wasn't the case. Yet here she was, safe and sound being her own person and with her gifts intact.

I look up at the sky. The guys took the girls home. Who could blame them? They ended up throwing up and splattering their expensive clothes.

Stretching and moving around the grass, I press my inner elbow to my eyes. To hell with classes, if Annie wasn't there, there was no point in going. After all, if I was here, it was because of her. So was Lina. We'd never be allowed to study and have a human career. After all, we already had our duties to the clan and that was probably the only reason I was alive. Dreams ans love  were only for humans, not magical creatures. On this side or the other, happiness doesn't exist.

Annie's image lingers in my mind.

My chest stops moving for a split second, just enough to keep my emotions in check. Annie has awakened this side of me that I thought was dead. Since her arrival, I've changed. Mornings are no longer so grim and monotonous. She's like this unexpected gift I've received. Just thinking about her makes my heart race. She's a forbidden fruit I can't have.

My chest sinks.

Yes, Lina was exactly the right person for the job. I was already losing enough control to restrict my magic and keep Annie's ripples hidden from the coven. The club was a task in its own right, I could barely manage on my own. I was lucky to have evaporated all the alcohol in those drinks. Today was different; if Lina hadn't been here today, we'd have had an unwanted visit. Her magic is getting stronger and stronger.

Now I can only wonder how Lina's lesson with Annie is going. How strong is she really and how suppressed is her magic?

One thing's for sure. She's one of a kind.

╔═.✵.══════════╗
ANNIE
╚══════════.✵.═╝

A month and a half had already passed, and in that time, the strangeness became ordinary.

I look at the chandelier over the dining table holding my head's weight over the top back of the chair.

Performing spells was getting easier, how to block my empath powers also wasn't as tedious, but the counterattacks were proving to be difficult. Lina says it is a matter of time before I am called for duty since every person possessing powers needs to serve the council. It is the price of magic.

Lina keeps attacking me while distracting me mimicking future attacks from a mage out of control. She is notoriously skilled at doing more then one thing in a go, but I am not.

A sight gets out of my chest. I am supposed to be writing this essay for school and all I can do is think about my magic lessons.

Lina is such a badass she beats me every time, but I don't care. Since she came into my life, I get girl's time. She is the friend I missed in my life. I can even make her laugh sometimes.

The best of all, it is that she keeps Tom away from me.

It was odd; he was like a shadow, and everywhere I went, he followed. At first, it gave me a reluctant comfort to,  now it felt right. Tom's presence fills my days with normalcy.

Today, for the first time in weeks, I sat alone at the kitchen table doing my essay on a book and the imagery the author used to explain the characters' feelings.

Tom was nowhere to be found, and I wasn't going to complain. I could finally cook something without his constant comments on how gross my food looked.

The thought made my eyes roll.
'Not all of us were raised with gourmet meals.'

Thinking of meals, my stomach growls and I rifle through the cabinets, finding tuna, mayo, and bread. "Tuna Sandwich it is"

When I find some Tajin to bring some flavour to the dish. My nose catches a waft of something far more tantalizing.

"Tom," I ask. I get up and head to the entrance, where a smell of Chinese food wafts up my nose.

Following my nose, I end up in the living room.

"I have something for you." He tells me, blocking the way to the coffee table where the food is waiting.

I look at him for the first time.

A smile spreads across his face.

My eyebrows arch, was he about to play some stupid game? I can be in a bad mood when I'm hungry, and right now I'm starving.

He pulls his hands from behind his back, revealing a package he's holding.

"What is it?" I ask puzzled.

I walk backwards. He shakes his head and turns the package so I can see the brand written on it.

I blink and cross my arms.
"As is? Where's the catch?"
Not believing what he just showed me.

"Well, get it to earn it."
He then lifted the package near my nose with a smile.

Jolting  my arms upwards to grab it, he moves away faster than anticipated. Soon, I was chasing him through the living room.

His laughter was very pleasant. My heart beat faster at the sound of his laughter.

Caught up in the action, I pounced on him, leaping like a lioness on her prey, knocking him down onto the couch and me onto him.

He moved his hand as far as he could while I held him in place, reaching for the precious box. Losing it was out of the question and he was too tall for me to reach it.

I tickled him with my hands, and found a sensitive spot, making his body squirm and his laughter got out of control. Using the moment, I slid over him and grabbed the box.

Happy with the package in my hand, I look at him and realize my actions.

Laying over him, I noticed the redness that spread from his face to his ears. He avoided my eyes and my rack at the same time since the straps of my tube crop loosen up, revealing half of my breasts.

Noticing that I was out of line, I walked away, rolling onto my side and landing on the ground. Now lying on my back, I took a moment to catch my breath.

"So, are you planning on opening it soon?"
He asks me, still laying on the couch.

Lifting my back, I lean back on the couch and inspect the box. This phone was expensive. It looked like it was the one he was carrying.

He sits on the couch, his legs brushing against my side, and my shoulders slump.

"Come on, open it! It's already tied to a plan. It's got unlimited data, too. As soon as you're ready, I'll give you..."

He starts cheerfully, but my eyes are already elsewhere.

Everything changes. I'll be able to call Mom and have a number for my resume.

I quickly undid the phone case while he explained how it worked, now sitting on the floor next to me.

My heart flinched inside. I didn't care enough to raise a mental barrier. For once, his closeness, the sparks and shivers didn't bother me enough to pull away from him.

It was by far the best day of my life.

He inserted the chip into the phone and helped me navigate the system.

Until it was time to add the phone numbers. He added his without asking, but hesitated to give me my mother's number.

After much discussion, Tom gave me my mother's number.

It was a total disappointment.

"Is it an urgent matter?"
My mother answered.

"Mom," after a silence I added, "it's me, Annie. Tom got me a phone and you are the first person I called".

I heard an involuntary oh in between, making my heart clench to my throat, and I couldn't stop the tears from escaping my eyes, but I kept going.

"So, did you get yourself some friends now, or are you still hovering over a book?" She asked straight with a flat tone.

"Yes, Tom makes sure I get some social activities." Biting my lip, I try to remain calm. Somehow I hoped she would be warmer than this. After all, it had been a while since we spoke.

"That is good. Perhaps you will even end up falling in love and making a family of your own." She said in the same tone making me wonder if she that desperately to rid herself from me. Was this the reason I was living with him in the first place?

I couldn't find the strength to keep my pain inside. I leaned my head in my lap in a desperate need to hide my silent tears.
"Aren't I too young for that? Besides, I already have a family. How are Julie and Luc?"

In the meantime, Tom served dinner and left with his plate in the kitchen, leaving me alone with my grief.

"They are doing just fine without you. Julie has her schedule, and Luc is above his head between school and his football training. Reminding me this was the best choice to make. What about you? Without them, your asthma must be in check now. Is it?" She oddest instead of caring like a doctor to a patient.

My heart couldn't take it and I collapsed on the couch, taking the tissue box beside me. Being a mother to my siblings did took a toll over my anxiety hence my asthma attacks, that didn't mattered. Still, this could be one of the reasons I was kept away in the name of stability. "Yes, no asthma so far. Life is dull, I promise."

"Really? When was the last time you used that inhaler of yours?"

Sitting for a second, I think about my next answer. After all, since I've been practicing magic, I haven't had a crisis. How was I going to explain this to her? Did she even know that magic existed?
"Well, a month, perhaps more, but don't worry, I always carry it around," I added.

"Hum, I will ask the doctor if we should make you inhale some medication now and then as prevention. Perhaps it can keep you stable in the long term and eventually you can come back home." She was talking more to herself than to me, almost forgetting I was there.

"Since I am doing so well, I can certainly handle a phone call with my brother," I suggest, now sitting on the edge of the couch.

"Eh no, that is out of the question. They are doing well without you. Doesn't that suffice you for an answer?" The sound of her voice made my blood boil.

"What are you insinuating? That my health is too much of a bother to be around them?"
I scream bitterly.

My nose clogged at that point and I couldn't hide my crying anymore, a hiccup made it's way out.

She responded by stabbing me in the heart with every word.
"Because you are of no use to them in your current state."

"My current state? My health in check, and all I am missing is a job. Can't you give me a break? I am studying full time!" Emotions raging in, I punched the couch besides me.

"Well, until then, there is no point in dwelling any further." She ended on a bored note.

"Since we agree, then I have nothing left to say. Bye," and I cancelled the call.

Tom walked into the living room, took a look at me and went back to his meal, or whatever he was doing.

Is it because I'm going to school and can't babysit? Is it because I don't have a job right now? I'll get a job and show her I can be independent, so she won't reject me next time.

Hope blossomed in my heart, my crying subsided,
Finding a kind of relief

My mind is going in circles, looking for a logical explanation.

Now that I know how to handle my magic outbursts, there won't be any unwanted attacks anymore and they won't be in danger.

Did Mom know about my magic? No, she can't, otherwise why suggest talking to a doctor?

Doubt taking over my mind, I remembered that I could no longer decipher what was in her heart. Most of the time, I just felt as if she was afraid of me, looking for ways to avoid getting face-to-face with me.

Broken, I went to my room knowing that I wouldn't be able to eat after that.

Falling back into the depths of despair, my mind ganged up on me, crushing my efforts to find hope.

So how can I get back to the loving family I used to have? Did she stopped loving me? A voice in my mind engraved a line in my mind: she never had.

Refusing to hear it, I scream into my pillow. I had to take back control. I want my family back.

I love my siblings, and they love me. Together, we can defeat the odds despite the hard times. Mom won't be able to take us apart.

Take a look at yourself you are alone now. My head kept nagging at me.

I curled up in bed, looking for an inner peace that wasn't coming.

How would I glue the pieces of my life alone?

I cried bitterly in my bed.

Why did she stop loving me? Why did she choose to get rid of me? Wasn't I, her daughter, like my siblings? Was I switched at birth and she just found out? Indeed, no one else seems to struggle with magic. Who am I then?

"A defect in her life." My inner voice smashed out.

Was I ever to get back home?

╔═.✵.══════════╗
TOM
╚══════════.✵.═╝

Adding an extra layer of magic, preventing anything from getting out of the apartment, I can't do otherwise but hear her lamentations. Even without my gift, I knew.

Amazed, I still can't believe that she is speaking back to her mother, making me wish I knew what the mother said to her. She is stronger than me. I always looked the other way, avoiding confrontation even when I knew my father was wrong.

This call may be excruciating for her, but it is also excruciating for me since I am well aware of her hidden feelings all this time.

She keeps pretending that everything is fine, but it's not. She loses her shyness, as well as her joy in life. Gradually, she is becoming as bitter as I am.

At least today she could be herself again, even if it was only for a moment. I smile, remembering the scene as I wipe the dishes, trying to keep my mind occupied.

Until I heard the leather of the couch stride grit. I ran into the living room. Her eyes were abnormal, storming but not as expected from a human or a mage, but what caught my attention was the emptiness in her head.

So I walked away.

Wishing I could do more, like hug her and give her the support she needs. I wish I could brush her cheek, wipe all the tears from her eyes with a kiss, and run my hands.

I breathe, trying to stop the images in my brain.

I hear her door slam slightly, so I head to my room as well.

Somehow, she's been hunting my dreams and it's been harder and harder to remain away from her. She is like a drug, her weaving auburn hair, her generous curves and her eyes, everything was tempting. So tempting! I shake my head. No! My mission comes first. The stakes are too high.

I don't understand. Did her mother know about Annie at all?

This adds to the many theories I have in my head.

Then who? Who helped her keep her memories.  I lean on the wall still alert. This might be the last straw before she broke loose and I needed to keep her safe when she would.

One thing was for certain, her siblings' memories changed. They think she left a long time ago leaving them behind without remorse. It breaks my heart. They now hate her when she wasn't even aware. Pitiful!

The question is why! Why wasn't the council doing more? Why wasn't the council using her like a weapon?  They did it so many times before with so many witches, why was it different with her? Could they ignore the fact that she was still reigning over her life? That she was slowly getting back her memories?

I run my hands through my hair and lay on the bed.

That procedure carries a lot of risks, going as far as burning the neurons of the targeted person. Modifying is less dangerous, with a connection here and there. For some reason, many memories were erased to a deep extent. She shouldn't be alive!

"How can a mother do that to her daughter willingly?!"

Repulsive.

Until now, I  played the game. I did what I was told, a tool meant to keep people in check by whatever means I see fit.

But not this time.

I shake my head.
I can be the only one... to know about her.

I cross my hands behind my head on the pillow.

I got worried about that call and the inquiry about the inhaler.

No, they can't know.

That inhaler was a magical potion keeping something hidden inside her and I needed find out what. I didn't expect her to run after them, though. What a girl!

Her thoughts and eyes shift every now and then.
Even now, there is a battle within her. One loves her family and the other side of her resents them.

Could she be a werewolf?

Remembering the couch, I get to the living room.
I can see nail marks on the surface. Human nails wouldn't do such a thing; they would break.

I pull my hair, proving myself that I am awake.

If she is, she would be the last of her kind!

if she's a witch-werewolf, she would be the last hope for the magical world.

I get back to my room and sit on the bed, holding my head. Ideas broiling my brain.

Right at this moment, the other side of the realm is chaos. Every magical creature is desperately trying to flee to the human realm. Tracked, killed, chased, the smugglers and smuggled are becoming rarer and rarer because of the bounty hunters.

Even in the human realm, magical creatures are in danger. When a subject is located, they kidnapped the chosen person and use them as bait for the rest of their brethren. Many fell prey to their methods, forcing the council to make a new law.

Now, the Council will hurry their members onsite. They redo the memories of those left behind. The kidnapped are no longer kidnapped. Instead, they have died accidentally, by drowning or in a car accident. They'll even go as far as using an enchantment on a strawman to use for the funeral, holding the enchantment in place until they lay the body to rest in good and due form.

They will keep us safe willingly or not.

But if she's a witch-werewolf, she, she could be the one. The answer. Lina says she is a strong which, will the beast inside her be strong enough to coexist with her magic?

There is only one way to know for sure. I need to know.

If she has both powers, then there is hope.

"I have to make her shift.
I will find a way!"

But it could break us apart.

A heavy sight takes me by surprise. It's my own.

I've never felt this infatuation with someone. My mind and body crave her presence.

Doesn't she feel it too?
It has to be it!
She has to be.
If she is a wolf then perhaps !

I shake my head, holding my breath. I have to erase those thoughts.

I have a mission.

First, she needs to know the truth,
all of it.

I inhale and stop breathing.
'This will be excruciating for both of us. I hate to see her in pain. But it needs to be done.'
I exhale, my lungs are burning.

I will find a way.

*♦̮̑ɜܓ*‎
        Note

So many revelations!!

Aww, so he does feel something for her?

Vote, like, and comment!

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

236 64 21
Teagan Monicroff comes from a long line of Monicroff Mages, hero's, and special beings. The Monicroff blood basically entitles her to being perfect a...
46 5 20
Have you ever met someone destined to be kidnapped? Celeste has lived with the gift of premonition of others for 11 years , but it isn't how it seem...
113 29 29
Lily's been through a lot. Her 16th birthday was a night to forget. There's a coven plotting something big and she is stuck in some prophecy that she...
2.4K 111 102
Six high school students looks like anyone else acts like anyone else but are capable of things no one else is. They learnt from a young age no one t...