The Farm Life Of a "Fool"

By Haisizlien

TRANSMIGRATION: THE FARM LIFE OF A "FOOL" Xu Ran has been working in a company for two years after graduating... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150
Chapter 151
Chapter 152
Chapter 153
Chapter 154
Chapter 155
Chapter 156
Chapter 158
Chapter 159
Chapter 160
Chapter 161
Chapter 162
Chapter 163
Chapter 164
Chapter 165
Chapter 166
Chapter 167
Chapter 168
Chapter 169
Chapter 170
Chapter 171
Chapter 172
Chapter 173
Side 1-2
Side 3-4
Side 5-6
Side 7-8
Side 9-10
Side 11-12
Side 13-14
Side 15-16
Side 17-18
Side 19-20
Side 21-22
Side 23-25

Chapter 157

1K 43 5
By Haisizlien

"Your Highness, no offence. You are a prince! How could you greet us at the gate on New Year's Eve. What if this made people suspicious?" Xu Ran began to complain to King Yan after entering the house.

King Yan didn't respond because he knew what he was doing was improper. Liu Tong didn't want to see them cause a commotion on New Year's Eve, so he grabbed Xu Ran to stop them. For the time being, Xu Ran was irritated. He was no longer upset as he said it out loud. He was perfectly OK after Liu Tong's reminder.

Seeing that Xu Ran was not angry anymore, Liu Tong smiled and offered King Yan a New Year blessing.

"Brother, happy new year!"

King Yan was giddy with delight at Liu Tong's words. Following Liu Tong, Xu Ran rolled his eyes in his head and greeted him in the same manner. King Yan was even more ecstatic. It would then be the turn of three children. Today, King Yan's face would convulse with such smiles, Xu Ran predicted. He didn't want to curse him, but he was just laughing too loudly.

Xiao Qingyun came out with the kids as soon as they had offered King Yan New Year blessings at the door. He extended his hospitality to Liu Tong when he saw him. Several other children were likewise warmly welcomed by Yan Lan and Yan Hao, with Xu Ran being the only one who received a cold shoulder.

Xu Ran retreated to the side and discreetly observed the others' lively scene. Of course, he wasn't the only one who was left out. After gaining Liu Tong's favor, King Yan was also neglected. Liu Tong was the center of attention.

King Yan was in a conflicting mood at the time. He wished Liu Tong would come over more frequently, but he expected them to come over less frequently. The motive was simple: he would divert Xiao Qingyun's attention away from him. After all, Xiao Qingyun's eyes had previously only seen him.

King Yan thought he was up against a great obstacle and couldn't conceive of a method to overcome it. He couldn't stop Liu Tong from coming over, and he couldn't make Xiao Qingyun dislike Liu Tong! This was not going to happen. After all, his younger brother had finally expressed his gratitude. As he continued to struggle innerly, Xiao Qingyun had already led his men into the room, leaving Xu Ran and King Yan staring at each other.

Xu Ran sighed helplessly, "This is the first time I experienced this feeling. Tongtong used to think of me first in all matters before."

King Yan also spread out his hands and said, "The same as you. This feeling is really bad."

The two felt helpless again.

Snickered Xiao Qingyun and Liu Tong, who were strolling in front. "Tongtong, look at the two of them," Xiao Qingyun said quietly to Liu Tong. "In ordinary times, they kept a straight face even when we chatted softly; now, we will give them a taste of being ignored."

Liu Tong felt a little bad as he remembered how Ran could never keep a straight face while he was talking to him. Xiao Qingyun guessed what Liu Tong was thinking based on his demeanor.

Xiao Qingyun said, "Tongtong, don't think too much. Just for once."

Liu Tong returned the stare of Xu Ran and his companion. He didn't care because seeing his bitter face made him laugh, therefore he didn't. Just once, as Xiao Qingyun put it. The atmosphere was short-lived. As soon as they walked into the house, it transformed. The prince on King Yan's temperament came out as soon as he sat on his throne, making people difficult to ignore him.

Xu Ran sat next to Liu Tong, who obediently let Xu Ran hold his hand while listening to Xu Ran speak with King Yan. What a 180-degree turn! Xiao Qingyun was sipping tea on the sidelines, dissatisfied once more. He stood up and was prepared to invite Liu Tong into the house for a conversation. Xu Ran agreed that the living room must be colder than their own bedroom, and he sent the youngsters off to play on their own.

After everyone left, King Yan asked Xu Ran, "Your hotpot restaurant is pretty good. I heard that you're also selling breakfast. Can you manage without hiring a few staffs?"

Xu Ran said, "I can, but it is too exhausting, so I plan to hire some hands a few days later when it opens."

King Yan frowned, "Can't the people from the Prince Residence come to help?"

Xu Ran shook his head and said, "That's not the case. After all, the Prince Residence's servants work for the Prince Residence. It's fine if they come over to help out every now and again, but they won't be able to work there for very long. Even if you don't say anything, you can't be sure the other people aren't thinking about something. As time goes, they might say something bad, which you don't expect to see, right?"

When King Yan heard Xu Ran's words, he grimaced. However, after giving it some thinking, he realized that Xu Ran's statements made sense. It seemed inevitable that something like this would occur.

King Yan said, "Then you have to choose carefully when you recruit staffs. Otherwise, if you hire some bad guys, it will be me to clean up the mess for you."

Xu Ran smiled, "Of course. Please rest assured, Your Highness! I definitely won't use inappropriate people. Today, the first reason we came today is to offer the new year blessing. The second one is to discuss with you about Honeycomb coal."

"Honeycomb coal?" King Yan muttered, then asked, "What is in your mind?"

Xu Ran said, "Before the new year, many people asked me about the way to heat the hotpot, which can keep it boiling and the fire burning. I told a few of my regular customers, and they all wanted to buy some honeycomb coal to keep warm. My suggestion is that you host a gathering over the New Year when everyone is at home, and then explain the Yanzhou residents how to use Honeycomb coal. Also, gather the beggars and advise them on how to create the Honeycomb coal. Thus, they can have a skill to live on."

"Are you willing to share the method of making Honeycomb coal?" asked King Yan.

Xu Ran stood up. "Why not? It wasn't complicated at all. Isn't it better that I make the procedure public so that countless others can have enough to eat than if I keep it secret? Furthermore, as you indicated, despite Yanzhou's modest size, there are several opportunities for me to showcase my abilities. My first step will be the Honeycomb coal."

"Alright, since you said so, I will arrange this matter properly. However, you have to tell me first, if too much Honeycomb coal is produced, which exceeds the demand of the people of Yanzhou. What should we do?"

Xu Ran smiled and said, "Your Highness, isn't this simple? This Honeycomb coal can also be transported to other places. Why are we concerned that it won't sell out if it can be transported? You should be aware that Yangzhou is not the only place in the north that will be frigid in the winter. The days when Honeycomb coal can be used will stretch at least until April from now on. A lot of Honeycomb coal could be sold in the next four months. The amount of earnings that can be brought to Yanzhou is likewise significant. As long as you calculate it yourself, you will know whether it will not work."

Not to mention whether King Yan would make the calculation, Xu Ran's words themselves sounded like a big cake, and it would take one a long time to chew it.

Seeing that King Yan didn't say anything, Xu Ran asked him, "Your Highness, do you know how many beggars are there in Yanzhou?"

King Yan thought for a moment and said, "I don't know the exact number, but there are at least one thousand or eight hundred. I only saw a portion of them near the city gate last year. Didn't you notice that many of them didn't show up again? Among these beggars, this was the rule. Everyone had a simple idea. It didn't matter if they ate less or more as long as they could survive."

Because the amount they prepared was the same every day, Xu Ran remembered asking King Yan this question back then. They were always evenly divided, and many people would stand on the sidelines and watch instead of going up to grab a bite. People who had arrived the day before did not show up the next day, according to Xu Ran.

He was perplexed and inquired of King Yan, who merely grinned mysteriously and did not respond. Xu Ran was suddenly moved when he heard King Yan explain it. These individuals were not performing heroic acts, yet what they did allowed others to survive.

What would happen if these people got to power in the world, Xu Ran wondered? 'Don't discriminate against a poor young man,' he remembered from his youth. You couldn't discriminate against someone who wasn't young because he was poor. Nothing was impossible as long as one was alive.

Xu Ran went to the door and asked Yan Chuan to get him pen and paper. King Yan looked at him in confusion. "What are you doing?"

Xu Ran handed the pen and paper to King Yan, "Draw a map of several local villages and towns, and I'll be able to plan the path from there. Do you want to pay those beggars a visit on New Year's Day? Tell them about our plans if you go. It's fine if they're willing to do it. It doesn't matter if you don't. If fewer people went begging, the remainder of the population would have a better standard of living."

Xu Ran had always been a proponent of self-reliance. If these people came, Xu Ran would appreciate them; yet, if they did not, they would most likely leave a bad impression on Xu Ran.

King Yan's tone told him something, but he didn't say anything. With the pen, King Yan drew a few lines on the paper, then wrote a few names to Xu Ran. Then he offered Xu Ran an overview of the localities, including their names and sizes, as well as the citizens' living conditions. King Yan appeared to be well knowledgeable about the area.

Xu Ran had deduced from King Yan's statements that the living conditions in some surrounding villages were quite high. In these locations, honeycomb briquettes should sell well. As a result, Xu Ran discussed the idea with King Yan and drew circles on the map in these places. After that, Xu Ran spoke with King Yan where he could create honeycomb briquettes.

Xu Ran had given the location the name honeycomb briquette yard. They both called it such from then on because King Yan had no objections to it. A large area was required for the construction of a honeycomb briquette yard. It was unnecessary to construct a dwelling. They only needed to construct a tin house in order to save a great deal of material and, more significantly, money. Location and manpower were not a problem, either. The current problem for them was how to get the iron sheet.

King Yan posed the question, and Xu Ran considered it carefully. Hammering was used to forge the iron of this era. As a result, Xu Ran reasoned that since the people here could hammer the iron blocks into sharp blades, forging the entire piece of iron should be no problem!

Xu Ran believed this because, in comparison to other materials, iron could be kept for a longer period of time. The other was that the rows of tin shacks should be constructed in an area that was relatively unoccupied.

Of course, he didn't say what he thought.

Actually, Yanzhou was not lacking in iron. King Yan also mentioned a secret that shocked Xu Ran, "In Yanzhou Prefecture the weapons in the hands of 50000 soldiers as well as the armor they wear are all made by our own blacksmiths. Even the iron used to forge them all comes from Yanzhou Prefecture."

Xu Ran was quite surprised to hear this. Just as he was about to say something, he heard King Yan add, "Not only that, in Yanzhou Prefecture, they also dig out a lot of coal. The things you took from the mansion were dug out from the mountain over there."

Hearing waht King Yan said, Xu Ran had some doubt in his heart. He thus asked, "Aren't these things rare? You will make a lot of money by selling them, won't you? Why don't you exploit them? Even if the emperor does not allow you to sell them, you can do it quietly! Isn't it OK to cast something else out of iron? "

King Yan shook his head, "No. This type of thing may be possible elsewhere, but it is impossible in Yanzhou Prefecture. As long as there is even a smidgeon of movement in Yanzhou, the emperor will be aware of it. I don't want to make things difficult for myself. I'm also hesitant to sell the iron and coal because I'll save them for future usage. "

Xu Ran understood King Yan's situation. He asked King Yan, "You said that you will keep them for future usage. What will you use them for, may I ask?"

King Yan smiled mysteriously and then replied, "Aren't we using these resources right now? With these things, isn't it much easier for you to do what you want to do? "

Xu Ran frowned. He could see King Yan wasn't telling the truth. After all, he'd only been here for about two months this year. These coal and iron mines in Yanzhou Prefecture, he estimated, must have been known for a long time. Other arrangements must be made for King Yan to use these resources. He didn't want to talk about it just now, and Xu Ran wasn't going to keep pushing him.

Xu Ran said to King Yan, "In that case, Your Highness, it's up to you to decide. When the time comes, you'll put those people together. I'll then come and train them. Even if they are beggars, I can train them well. "

King Yan nodded satisfactorily after hearing that. He was obviously happy for Xu Ran's work.

Xu Ran seemed unconcerned about the work he had to complete. He was well aware that some items did not require tucking away. He'd promised King Yan from the start, so he'd have to put his best foot forward, and not just in terms of language.

Furthermore, he was pleased to see that what he was doing was helping to better the lives of the people of Yanzhou. Water can carry a boat, but it may also overturn it, as Xu Ran realized. Yanzhou's residents were the water.

_____

Liu Tong made the meal, and Xiao Qingyun, who had never been in a kitchen before, came along for the ride. He wasn't Qin Shuwen, thus he had no intention of learning to cook. Liu Tong couldn't cook anything too sophisticated. He had just prepared simple home-cooked meals. Xu Ran and his family only ate hotpot or noodles on a regular basis, so they took advantage of whatever was available.

King Yan and the others were even happier. Despite the fact that King Yan's mansion's chef was an excellent cook, this supper was unlike any other. Liu Tong was the one who made it. Today's supper was quite good, according to Yan Lan and Yan Hao. It was not within their thoughts as to who made it. The only thing that mattered to them was that they could eat good food.

Yan Hao and Yan Lan were Baozi's favorites. This was due to their blood link, more or less. There was undoubtedly a bond between these three brothers. As a result, when Xu Ran recommended that they go home after supper, Baozi was not pleased. Because he knew he wouldn't have anyone to play with when he got home, and his house wasn't big enough for him to play whenever he wanted.

Xu Ran had to let him be. At the same time, he also left Tangtang and Guoguo behind. He let Lu Qi give them advice. And he asked them to talk with King Yan about their plan of going to the military camp.

Originally, Xu Ran planned to talk with King Yan about this matter himself, but Guoguo insisted on telling him himself. Xu Ran agreed to let him manage his own business. Anyway, he knew this was an exercise for the children.

As the younger brother had already said so, Tangtang, as an elder brother, could not show the slightest timidity. Thus this became a matter for the two brothers.

On the way back, Liu Tong asked Xu Ran, "Ran, do Tangtang and Guoguo have something to discuss with Brother since they stay in the mansion?"

Xu Ran nodded. "Yes, they have. Do you still remember I used to tell you that Tangtang and Guoguo wanted to go to the military camp last year? It is this matter. They have decided to talk about it themselves, and I agree to let them manage their own business."

Liu Tong was a little worried about this. He frowned and then asked, "Will my brother agree with them?"

Xu Ran didn't mind that Gao Quan and the rest were still behind them. He reached out to smooth Liu Tong's eyebrows and said to him, "Of course, he will agree. Even if he doesn't agree, Tangtang and Guoguo will persuade him. As long as these two children think they are right, they will try their best to achieve it."

That made Liu Tong feel better. He was afraid that King Yan would not agree with the children, which would distress his children. Putting this concern aside, Liu Tong became concerned about what would happen after Tangtang and Guoguo arrived at the military camp.

Liu Tong remembered Ran telling him about it at the time, and he had nodded his assent. He realized it was pointless to be concerned about it just now. Perhaps it was because of these concerns that Liu Tong became uneasy. He was unable to express his true feelings. In any case, he was confused and agitated.

Seeing that he looked so pale, Xu Ran quickly asked him, "Tongtong, what's the matter? You do not look well."

Liu Tong shook his head. Though he felt a little out of breath, he told Xu Ran, "Ran, I'm fine. I just feel a little flustered."

His body, however, began to shake, and he became unsteady. They both understood there was a problem with him. Xu Ran had no medical training, therefore he had no idea what was wrong with Liu Tong. Seeing Liu Tong's pale appearance and the fact that he couldn't even speak made Xu Ran nervous, and he wanted to get a doctor for him straight away.

He looked around the street and found that all the shops were closed. He realized that everyone was celebrating the New Year at the moment, and that there would be no hospital open for business.

Lu Qi! Yes, he thought of that he could go and ask Lu Qi for help. Thus, Xu Ran quickly squatted down and carried Liu Tong onto his back. They then rushed back towards King Yan's mansion.

Gao Quan and Shao Yu had been cautiously following them. They were stunned to see Xu Ran abruptly halt, carry Liu Tong on his back, and rush back without saying anything to them, and they quickly deduced that something had happened. As a result, they hastened to catch up with them.

Xu Ran didn't know where he suddenly got so much strength. Though Liu Tong was much taller and stronger than him, he rushed all the way back to King Yan's mansion with Liu Tong on his back without even stopping for a while.

They arrived at the mansion at long last. Xu Ran tapped on the door with his foot while Liu Tong lay on his back. Shao Yu, who had trailed behind, dashed up to assist with the knocking on the door. Xu Ran was sweating profusely since he was carrying Liu Tong on his back. Liu Tong, on the other hand, remained still. He didn't respond to Xu Ran's calls in any way.

Shao Yu took a look at Liu Tong and then said to Xu Ran, "Xu Ran, Liu Tong is unconscious now, and he closes his eyes. He might have fallen asleep. Why are you in such a hurry? Did something happen?"

Xu Ran shook his head, "Tongtong. He has passed out. Shao Yu, Gao Quan, you quickly knock on the door to find Lu Qi for help."

Shao Yu was also worried when he heard that Liu Tong was unconscious. He became more concerned when he noticed Liu Tong's appearance was truly very plain, and he tried harder to knock on the door. Gao Quan even began pounding on the entrance of King Yan's home.

Someone inside at last came to open the door. Before he could ask who it was, Xu Ran had already carried Liu Tong in while shouting Lu Qi's name,

"Lu Qi, Lu Qi! Where is Lu Qi? Let him come over quickly!" Xu Ran shouted in an angry voice because he felt something wet on his hand.

He had an ominous premonition in his heart, but he didn't dare to judge whether it was true or not. At the moment, he just wanted to find Lu Qi right away and let Lu Qi see what's going on?

"Ran, Ran!"

The voice coming from his back stunned Xu Ran, because Liu Tong sounded crying. Xu Ran quickly responded, "Tongtong, I'm here. I'm here."

Xu Ran wanted to touch Liu Tong, but he couldn't move his palm away since the wet feeling there was becoming increasingly visible and heated. Xu Ran became increasingly agitated.

"Ran, he's leaving, Ran..."

The voice of Liu Tong could be heard once more. He was clearly crying.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

125K 4.1K 41
Sequel to 'Merlyn's Fate'. Based on Series 3 of Merlin. When true evil plagues a seemingly hopeless destiny, friendship tethers old ghosts to haunte...
262K 9.5K 34
"Frowns doesn't suit you at all. You look even cuter with a smile." Nagisa's the kind of boy who never smiles or even laughs. Or maybe, he used to, b...
59.1K 1.8K 180
After an explosion, You XiaoMo finds that he is now a probationary disciple of the TianXin sect. However, he is one with dubious potential, so just w...
245K 15.8K 141
The Divine woman Draupadi was born as the eternal consort of Panadavas. But we always fail to treasure things which we get easily. Same happened with...