TLOK Kyalin Oneshots NEW

By PinkRathian

Primarily Kyalin Oneshots of different ratings 😏, you can find some Suvira in here too. Cute fluff to angst... More

Edges
Beach Volleyball
Adventures of Zaofu
When We Were Kids
Car ride
Babysitting
Searching
Update
Suvira Chapter
Double Date
From Chaos to Order (Kuvira Backstory)
Wine and Surprise
Dangerously Jealous
Kyalin Week
Suyin Part 1
Suyin Part 2
Suyin Part 3
Suyin Part 4
Unexpected
Love is Blind
The Games Part 1
The Games Part 2
The Games Part 3
The Games Part 4
Suvira AU (epilogue)
The City Part 1
The City Part 2
update
The City Part 3
The City Part 4
The Chief's Secret
Train Wreck
Crushing
A different kind of Mother
Kyalin Week Prompt 1
Kyalin Week Prompt 2
Kyalin Week 3
Kyalin Week 4
Kyalin Week Day 5
Kyalin Week Six
Kyalin Week Day 7
Two worlds apart
Circumstances (sequel to TWA)
The Guard (Suvira) Part 1
Speculation (sequal to Circumstances)
The Guard (Suvira) Part 2
All over you
Comfort
Lin and Ikki
Holiday
Suvira Solstice
Lin Walks Into a Bar
Christmas Party
Suvira Book 1
Suvira Book 2
Suvira Book 3
Suvira Book 4
Lin Goes to the Dentist
The Box
The Office
The Radio
The Dinner
Kyalin Shorts
I Just Know that I Like You
That's Rough
Good Times
Suvira Nanny AU
A Test of Love
Suvira Shorts
I'm Sorry
Signs
Signs Pt 2
Like You
interruption
Kya Goes to the Dentist
My Wives and I
A Cause For Celebration
A Cause for Celebration Part 2
20 Years Ago
Lin Takes Care of Kya
Kyalinzumi
Suvira Nanny Au (part 2??? I guess?)
Origins: Part 1
Origins: Part 2
Origins: Part 3
An update
Pirate AU Part 1
Pirate AU Part 2
Pirate AU Part 3
Pirate AU Part 4
Pirate Au Part 6
Pirate AU Part 7
Pirate AU Part 8
Pirate AU Part 9
Pirate Au Part 10
Pirate AU Part 11
Pirate AU Part 12
Pirate AU Part 13
Pirate AU Part 14
Pirate AU Part 15 (Finale)

Pirate AU Part 5

233 8 2
By PinkRathian

Pink Skies
Chapter 5: The Prisoner

Lin collapsed in her cot, setting her hat on her stomach.

The Captain, and Kya for that matter, had been gone all day, leaving her to the tedious work of managing a ship.

She had never run anything this size before, before the Ozai's Revenge the largest she had worked on was a Brig.

She had noticed a tear in the sails, and since Shin swore he was afraid of heights, she had to climb to the crows nest to change it.

==================

"I can't go up there, I'm terrified of heights."

"You climbed the mast yesterday."

"Nah, that'd be Ping."

"I can tell you guys apart."

"You haven't been here that long, certainly you're mistaken." Lin sighed, shaking her head and going to ladder. She stuck the needle and thread in her mouth, bracing herself.

"Good luck, mate." Shin sneered.

==================

The only good thing to come out of today was learning the name of their hostage.

Bataar. She had chuckled when she heard it. She had never met someone with a more fitting name.

After fixing the sail she dropped down the mast, brushing her hands off and sticking the needle to Shin.

================

"Next time you deny my orders, I'll remove a finger. Try to fight it and I'll make it a hand."

================

He had laughed at her threat, but he did avoid her the rest of the day, which meant something had gotten through.

The crew hated her. Everyone seemed to think they were more entitled to the role of first mate than she was. She was drifting into sleep when she heard rustling. She opened one eye, seeing Kya slip onto her cot, pulling off her boots.

"Hey," Lin mumbled.

"Hi," Kya replied.

"You were with her for a while, what did she want?"

"Shooting practice." Lin rolled her head, glaring at her.
"She said you'd respond like that."

"You don't need to know how to shoot."Lin explained.

"Lin, you don't have to be so guarded."

"I'm not guarded. It's just an unnecessary skill."

"Fine, then teach me to use a sword." Kya crossed her arms, staring Lin down.

"No." Lin replied shortly. Kya sighed, folding into her cot.

"Then shooting it is."

"Why do have to know how to fight Kya? What are you trying to prove?"

"Lin, are you serious? We are fucking Pirates. We rammed into another ship two days ago. How am I supposed to defend myself?"

"I can defend you!"

"Lin."

"Kya."

"Dont start this."

"Start what?"

"You just feel guilty." Kya said. "Because your the reason we're in this mess."

"Me?"

"Yes, Lin. We had everything we ever wanted and you left your gold on your ship! What kind of Captain abandons their vessel with the loot. Even I know that was ridiculous."

"I'm sorry! I was just... distracted."

"By what?"

"By you!"

"So it's my fault?"

"No," Lin stammered. "I know this is my fault, I just... I'm done feeling bad about it." Kya released a breath, reaching out her arm for Lin to touch.

"I'm sorry, I'm just exhausted, it's been a long day."

"I know, me too."

"Get some sleep, okay?" Kya said.

"You too." Lin retracted her arm, contracting into herself. She didn't feel good or bad about anything. She felt numb, like everything was setting in on her at once. Su would be here, soon, and she was starting to have doubts about how ready she really was.

I need training, I need a teacher.

She needed Izumi.

___________________________________________

"You want me to teach you?" Izumi asked, spitting a cherry pit onto the floor.

"Yes. When the time comes, I want to be the one to fight my sister." Lin declared.

"I have no problem with that, but I can't teach you the dragon sword art."

"Why not?"

"Its a fire nation skill of old, teaching it to an outsider would be... sacrilegious."

"You're religious?"

"No."

"Then what's the problem?" Izumi sighed, picking up her swords, beckoning Lin to come forward.

"These are lined with obsidian, that's what makes them so sharp."

"Okay?"

"It's the secret to the art, no other material works. If they aren't stronger than your opponent, you'll break your arms."

"Where is this going?"

"I don't have any more obsidian." Izumi admitted. "Its priceless, I spent a fortune getting enough for these alone. If you have twenty-thousand lying around be my guest. But seeing you're here, working for me, I'd guess not." Lin huffed. Why did she always make things hard for her?

"So you can't teach me?"

"I didn't say that."

"You definitely did."

"Well, I can't teach you, but I know someone who can. But you need to show me you have the skill first." Lin shrugged, nodding.
"Good," Izumi looked to the floor next to her, taking an apple. "I'm going to put this in my mouth, throw a knife at it."

"What?" She put the apple in her mouth, sticking her thumbs up.

"I'm not doing that." Lin said, "I could kill you." Izumi sighed, removing the apple.

"Honestly, Lin. Do you want this or not. It's gonna take days to get to land, if we don't do this now, even longer. So throw a knife at my face, or leave."

Lin stated at her. This felt like a challenge, a test, but Izumi's eyes were blank.

"Fine."

"Saavy, whenever your ready." She put the apple back in her mouth, stretching her neck and pulling her hair back. Lin drew a knife from her belt, taking a deep breath.

"I'll try not to kill you." She said. She rolled the hilt in her fingers, pulling back her arm. She threw it straight, no curve, no chance to mess up. She was worried about the weight, but when the apple fell apart and the knife blade was secure between Izumi's teeth, she released her breath.

Izumi pulled the blade, running a finger over her tongue, it coming back with a small amount of blood.

"Well," Izumi concluded, "It'll kill your sister." Lin recoiled. She hadn't gotten used to the sound of that.

She hadn't thought about it, she wanted to redeem herself, but was killing Su the only way?

"Is it, good enough?"

"Wouldn't know, but if I had to choose it would be a yes." Lin grinned, nodding.

"Thank you."

"Now, do us both a favour and head east, the Fire Nation is awaiting our arrival."

___________________________________________

3 days later.

It was hot. The sun had been out for three solid days. At first it was a nice change to the salty breeze, but now Lin's entire body hurt. Her complexion was not designed for this much sun, and she spent as much time in the shade as she could, trying not to think about the blisters.

She poured some fresh water on her arms which had suffered the worst of it. The salt didn't help, instead leaving a nasty stench to her dead skin. Kya came down the stairs, a sympathetic look on her face.

"Hey," she said, sitting next to Lin.
"How is it?"

"Not good. My entire body feels like it's on fire." Kya looked like she was about to rub Lin's arm, but she pulled away, remembering the circumstances.
"How far out are we?" Lin asked.

"How would I know? Everything looks the same. I'm trying the stars, but I'm not quite there yet."

"Mmm,"

"Why?"

"I don't know, I just wish I had a sign, something to tell me I'm doing the right thing." Lin leaned onto her elbows, overlooking the crew.

"By going to the fire nation?" Kya asked.

"Yeah, and... other stuff." Lin was about to go on, but they were interrupted by more people coming down the stairs. Shin and Ping were holding the prisoner, Bataar, who, despite his darker complexion, seemed to be just as burned as Lin was.

"What are you doing?" Lin asked.

"Seagulls were starting to eat him. Captain said to keep him alive so we're moving him to the Brig."

"You had a Brig this whole time?" Bataar asked, "why was I tied to the fucking mast?!"

"Captain likes to show off her trophies," Ping replied with a sneer. Lin shook her head, stifling a chuckle.

"Be quick about it." She said. The three hurried off, Bataar being pulled behind.

"They seemed to have settled a bit," Kya observed, "they respect you."

"Mmm, let's hope it's respect and not them trying to get me to lower my guard."

"Dont be so superstitious." Kya jested. Lin raised her eyebrows, accepting a kiss to the cheek.

"I love you," she said. Kya smiled  placing her hand gently on Lin's cheek.

"I love you too." Kya paused, uncertainty in her eyes.

"What is it?" Lin asked.

"Nothing I just...."

"Kya, you can tell me anything, I promise." Kya smiled, but it was nervous and awkward. Lin had never seen her like this.

"Lin I... I need to get something off my chest."

"Okay."

Kya took a deep breath  and Lin felt uneasy. Kya was so nervous, had Lin done something wrong?

"I wasnt shooting the other day," she started, "well I was, but then I got tired or ran out of ammo. Izumi and I had some rum and we..."

"Oh."

"It didn't mean anything, Lin, I love you. It didn't change that it's just she's so..."

"Unpredictable." Lin finished.

"Yeah.' Lin pulled away a bit. She didn't know how to feel, Kya had many other partners while she was with Lin, all of which were for work. But Kya didn't work at the Golden Chest anymore, what did that make this?

"Was it... obligatory?" Lin asked.

"Smaller words, please," Kya responded.

"Was it a work thing or a personal thing?" Lin reiterated. Kya paused, placing her face in her hands.

"I don't know, Lin. I... I love you, more than anything I just... I can't help but feel like I was supposed to meet her."

"I get it," Lin said, "She's attractive. Kya, I'm not going to tell you what to do, but don't string me along, okay?"

"I couldn't do that, Lin."

"I believe you."

Kya embraced her, and Lin let her touch linger. She didn't know why she wasn't upset, or mad. She couldn't lie, she had thought about their Captain that way more than once. In some way she was jealous of Kya. Izumi had opened up to Lin, showing her scars and all.

Had that been the Captain's way of expressing interest? Was vulnerability a way she showed trust?

"So," Lin started, "how was it?"

"What?" Kya laughed.

"Oh come on, she's been on this ship for how long, she must've had energy to burn."

"Lin!" Kya swatted her softly, pausing to meet Lin's lips.
"It was, good. The nickname makes sense."

"Nickname?"

"What you don't remember storming into the quarters, drunk and demanding to see Blackbeard?" Lin blushed, looking away.

"Who me? You got the wrong Beifong." Kya grabbed her chin, pulling Lins eyes back to her.

"No, I think I got the right one."

____________________________________________

"Hey! Hey! I'm hungry!" Lin sighed, setting down the barrel of rhye and looking at the prisoner in the brig. He sat on the floor, his arms stretching through the bars.

"You want food?" Lin asked, and he nodded.
"Fine. But only in exchange for information."

"Starving me to get what you want, heh, your sister would be proud." Lin tried not to let his words get to her.

She wasn't her sister, and she never would be. That used to bring her pain, but now it felt glorious.

"You're tossing insults at the one person here to feed you? I doubt anyone will be down here again within the next few hours, hell, maybe even days. Tell Jones I say hi." She began to go back up the steps, but he called out to her.

"Wait! Please. Just food, or some water."

"Information, now." He sighed, pushing himself against the wall.

"What do you want to know?" He asked.

"Su, how is she?"

"Thats the information?"

"I'm not a soulless urchin like she is. I may hate her, and possibly gut her, but I'd like to know how she's doing."

"Fine. She's good as ever."

"Mm, if that was true she wouldn't be after me. What does she want?"

"Your signature."

"My signature?"

"Something about dead grandparents. They left you the estate, and Suyin wants what's rightfully hers." Lin couldn't help but laugh.

All of this, all this trouble of sending a first mate on a ghost ship to get Lin to sign some dumb papers.

"Still entitled." Lin concluded.
"But thanks for letting me know, perhaps my days at sea are coming to an end."

"A watery one." He sneered, Lin glared at him.

"You talk big for someone in a jail." She said.

"I have no doubts Suyin will come for me."

"Yes, and she will suffer the same fate as... what was his name? Ghazan? Except this time it will be at the tip of my blade." He didn't say anything, instead extending his hands. Lin gave him her canteen, allowing him to finish what was left before finding some hardened bread in the wheat crate for him to chew on.

"I'll see you in a few days." She said, "try not to die."

She figured she should rely this information back to the Captain, after all it might offer an advantage to their opponent. She didn't knock, instead barging in, and looking for the Captain. Izumi was standing over by her bed, staring at an object in her hands.

"Mm hmm," Lin  cleared her throat. Izumi dropped the object onto the bed, turning around.

"What's the meaning of this?" She asked.

"I got some information from the prisoner." Lin replied. Izumi walked up close to her, their faces practically touching. If Izumi didn't have so much height on Lin their noses would've brushed.

"So you don't knock? I'm inclined to think you've gotten into the rum."

"At least it doesn't make me horny," Lin replied nonchalantly. Izumi backed down, biting her bottom lip on what seemed to be frustration.

"I'm sorry," she said, "blame me."

"Oh I do." Lin replied bitterly. Her reaction was the definition of dramatic. She was relatively un bothered by the occurrence between Izumi and Kya, maybe she had just gotten used to it.

Or maybe....

In your dreams, Beifong.

"The prisoner," Lin continued," said Su wants my signature. Grandparents finally turned in and left me the estate."

Izumi raised her eyebrows, her eyes remained pensive.

"Are you giving it to her?" She asked.

"No," Lin replied certainly.

"Good. Afterall, that kind of thing could go a long way to getting to Ba Sing Se."

"Right." Lin said. She always felt nervous around Izumi. The same way the knife throwing had felt like test. She still thought about that, realizing the test wasn't her accuracy, it was whether or not she would throw the knife in the first place.

Perhaps it was her competitive nature, or her lack of affection growing up, but she was drawn to this aspect of Pirate hood. The constant challenge, the quest for gold. She planned on burying her own treasure one day. It just sucked she wouldn't be around to see whoever found it.

When it came to Izumi, she hated admitting that she liked her Captain. She should be bitter, after all first mate was still lower than her Captain status. But she couldn't find it within her to be angry. Whatever powers this ship held that made the crew stay so long, she was beginning to become susceptible to.

"It seems you've earned yourself some reputation, some coin, and soon enough some skill. I might have to watch my back." Izumi said. Lin couldn't tell of she was kidding.

She remembered what Izumi had said about Lin choosing Kya, and it remained true.

But that didn't mean she couldn't choose Izumi, too.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

288K 7.2K 36
Kya, Sokka's twin, and Kataras's older sister. She holds a cold glare to everyone around her, often being misunderstood. She sensitive but holds a f...
3.8K 150 37
What happens when human intentions over power the spirit in the Avatar? Who keeps the Avatar in check? Can love be found after trauma? This is a fan...
149K 4.8K 62
Korrasami fanfiction. I'm not sure if anyone else has done this before but oh well heres my shot of it. No bending I'm just mainly using the characte...