The Farm Life Of a "Fool"

By Haisizlien

TRANSMIGRATION: THE FARM LIFE OF A "FOOL" Xu Ran has been working in a company for two years after graduating... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 150
Chapter 151
Chapter 152
Chapter 153
Chapter 154
Chapter 155
Chapter 156
Chapter 157
Chapter 158
Chapter 159
Chapter 160
Chapter 161
Chapter 162
Chapter 163
Chapter 164
Chapter 165
Chapter 166
Chapter 167
Chapter 168
Chapter 169
Chapter 170
Chapter 171
Chapter 172
Chapter 173
Side 1-2
Side 3-4
Side 5-6
Side 7-8
Side 9-10
Side 11-12
Side 13-14
Side 15-16
Side 17-18
Side 19-20
Side 21-22
Side 23-25

Chapter 149

1.1K 50 5
By Haisizlien

Food may still be found in the highlands throughout the winter. Xu Ran used to run up the mountains in his spare time while he lived in Xu Village. Occasionally, he'd come upon some edible wild veggies. Gradually, he became acquainted with a broader range of them.

Despite how desolate Yanzhou was, certain edibles could still be discovered on the mountain. Xu Ran shared his ideas with everyone in great detail. Because King Yan and the beggars didn't know anything about them, they were skeptical of Xu Ran's statements.

Xu Ran said, "Now that the situation is already like this, let's just go to scour thoroughly. Besides the loss of physical strength, maybe we can really find something, right?"

King Yan thought about it carefully, then nodded. "You're right. We really don't have much to lose. So be it! After we returned, I will send some soldiers, together with a few farmers who often went up the mountain, to go and scour around. Some wild animals might be caught in winter."

Xu Ran did not have any objections and just waited for King Yan's arrangement.

As soon as King Yan finished speaking, the beggar next to him said, "Your Highness, let us go with them! If we have learned to know those wild vegetables, we can go up the mountain ourselves in the future."

Because these beggars had been begging in Yanzhou since they were children, they were unfamiliar with wild plants. Everyone nodded in accord when the beggar said it. When King Yan noticed their excitement, he consented. Self-sufficiency was preferable to being dependent on the whims of others.

After discussing this with the beggars, King Yan discovered a few more facts. Yan Chuan returned to his house after bringing people to bury the three deceased bodies. But halfway through, King Yan changed his mind and brought Xu Ran to the camp.

There were many tents in the camp. King Yan pointed to the tents and said, "The 50,000 troops that protect the Yanzhou reside there. They can only live in tents in the winter and summer. You're familiar with Yanzhou's weather. Summer is nice, but you can image how difficult their lives will be throughout the winter. Furthermore, the Barbarians prefer to launch surprise attacks in the winter. I had intended to construct them dwellings, but building houses for 50,000 soldiers will be prohibitively expensive, independent of personnel, material resources, or money resources, all of which Yanzhou lacks."

When he stated this, King Yan was overcome with grief and remorse. Xu Ran couldn't help but worry about Yanzhou's first impressions. The present Yanzhou appeared to be quite nice, but there were still a lot of issues. What will the decrepit Yanzhou look like? What did the residents of this town eat?

Xu Ran considered Lu Qi's remark of Yanzhou's limited land covering. He reasoned that King Yan might not think Yanzhou was tiny, and that he needed to locate a better area for the people to reside.

You can't create a fist if you don't have a hand. Even if King Yan was capable, he couldn't accomplish anything because of the pressure from the Emperor above and the load of the people and the country below. While Xu Ran was immersed in contemplation, King Yan crossed the bridge.

He called him after traveling for a time and seeing that Xu Ran had not followed him. Xu Ran regained his composure and swiftly followed. This time, King Yan's destination astonished him. The vista revealed a wide meadow, like an oasis among the unending snow peaks.

However, there were few green grasses on the grassland in the winter, and all that could be seen was dried up grass. Xu Ran, on the other hand, understood that the next year, in the spring, a large area of green grass would sprout in this location, allowing numerous cows, sheep, and horses to graze.

King Yan stood straight, pointing at the grassland in front of him, as if it was his world.

Xu Ran heard him say, "Not only will this land be full of lush grasses in the next year, but it will also be full of cows and sheep. When the next winter arrives, I won't have to worry about my people starving or freezing to death."

King Yan turned back and looked at Xu Ran with a serious expression. He asked him, "Tell me, will this place be as good as I said in the coming year?"

"Of course, it will become the largest farm in Yanzhou in the following year, and this is the first step for Yanzhou to become affluent," Xu Ran said without thinking.

When Xu Ran finished, King Yan also calmed down and said: "This place was on the verge of becoming a desert in the past. I stumbled into it by chance. I arrived with Yan Hao at the time. He drew a grass on his way here, grabbing it in his palm, and ultimately dropping it here. I was riding a horse at the moment and thought something had fallen off. As a result, I looked back and noticed the grass, which I had forgotten about. But the next spring, when I arrived at the military camp to exercise troops, I became agitated and wanted to wander about. Then I noticed the grass, standing in the middle of a desolate landscape, where Yan Hao had dropped it.-"

King Yan smiled and continued, "At the time, I was still perplexed as to why a grass had survived when there was nothing else growing here. I'm not sure why, but I took a couple additional plants and planted them next to that one. Later, I returned frequently to view these plants. Nothing was done by me. After a while, the plants were able to thrive on their own. At the time, a thought germinated in my head. I kept sending people to dig up the wild grasses and bring them here, until the grasses had completely covered the area. The grasses had taken root here for the third year. I intend to bring large groups of cows and sheep here next year."

King Yan's words sparked his lofty ideas and ambitious ambitions. He exuded confidence. Xu Ran did not respond. He simply glanced up at the distant sky and down at the meadow beneath his feet. King Yan, he felt, was truly wise and patient.

He spent three years establishing a plot of grassland. How many persons were capable of such an act?

Nothing except time was required of King Yan. Yanzhou will eventually be filled with the rich landscapes they observed in every turn. Xu Ran's heart was full of pride as he saw the design for constructing a wealthy city together, so the two talked in the grassland with the breeze caressing against them.

Xu Ran addressed King Yan about his views on rearing cows and lambs, as well as the notion of recovering wild regions.

Xu Ran said, "Yanzhou has a lot of wastelands, Your Highness. The army must rely on Yanzhou's territory for sustenance. Why not send some warriors to retake the wastelands? Every day, kung fu should be practiced, and job should be completed. They will undoubtedly like working for themselves. It does not require a large number of people. A thousand each day should enough. It won't be long until they're exploiting vast swaths of land. In terms of crop selection, I shall do so in order to ensure that soldiers are no longer starving."

"Select? What can you select from? With climate like Yanzhou, what else can you plant besides wheat, radish, and cabbage? "King Yan asked in confusion.

Xu Ran smiled at him, "I have a good idea. Your Highness, just wait and see! We should go back now! It is almost noon."

King Yan glanced at him and said, "You must be hungry."

Xu Ran didn't feel embarrassed at all. He said, "It's already noon. How can I not be hungry?"

King Yan realized he had gone too far. They had traveled a great distance all morning, and they had just eaten a bowl of sliced noodles, so it was time to eat again.

Yan Chuan had not joined them since leaving the Beggar Temple. On the journey, there were just Xu Ran and King Yan. They had been acquainted with one other while the chit-chat continued. In general, they both liked one other and thought it would be better if they worked together.

Although Xu Ran preferred to remain low-key, he would never turn down the chance to show off. He may even instruct his children during the procedure. When the two returned to the palace, they discovered that everyone was expecting them to eat. The plates on the table had already been warmed.

After sitting down, Xu Ran apologized, "I didn't pay attention to the time when I went out. I've made you wait for a long time. I'm really sorry."

Xiao Qingyun said, "I don't blame you for this. Prince always goes out like this and returns late. Every time the meal is reheated, it will be warmed again. This is entirely his fault. However, I anticipate that you will return on time in the future."

He did not fail to remind Xu Ran after criticizing King Yan. King Yan's spouse was very diplomatic. He wouldn't have insulted Xu Ran in any way. King Yan, on the other hand, was his husband. Furthermore, the guests at the table were his own people, so King Yan would naturally remain silent because Xiao Qingyun was only speaking the truth.

Xu Ran proceeded to follow his children and husband after lunch, while King Yan had other matters to attend to. Sending some people to break ice and catch fish, as he had discussed with Xu Ran in Beggar Temple, and sending others up the mountain to scour the wild vegetables, despite the fact that these were all small issues, he had to arrange for people to accomplish them.

He was completely occupied from afternoon to evening due to all of the other things he had to deal with. Liu Tong's plans to speak with King Yan were also put on hold.

After supper, Liu Tong reasoned that the sooner it was stated, the less unpleasant it would be in the future, so he requested Xu Ran to inform King Yan, who was understandably delighted that Liu Tong was seeking for him and consented instantly. The location of the talk remained in the study, and only Liu Tong and King Yan were there, with Xu Ran and Yan Chuan waiting outside.

They talked for a long time in the room. Xu Ran had noticed his hands and feet were cold and numb as he saw Liu Tong emerge from the study. His eye rims were crimson, yet he had a grin on the corner of his mouth. Obviously, he appeared cheerful, so Xu Ran did not inquire.

However, at night, he packed Baozi and sent him to sleep with Tangtang and Guoguo, while he tortured and entangled himself for a long time with Liu Tong. Liu Tong's emotions may have an impact on him. He did not only not resist, but he was also quite cooperative and even took the initiative.

This was quite fun. Xu Ran thought that he could try a few more times in the future. After all, men of thirties are like a tiger!

Maybe he could have another child.

It was all his wishful thinking, but it was not up to him whether to give birth to another kid.

Xu Ran told Liu Tong his thoughts, which made Liu Tong flush. This night was especially beautiful.

Liu Tong acknowledged King Yan after speaking with him. However, based on the servant's address in the mansion, it appeared to be the same. The only difference was that Liu Tong had never addressed King Yan as brother before.

On the second day, over breakfast, King Yan remarked that Xu Ran had suggested breaking ice for fish and traveling up the mountain to hunt wild veggies, and asked who wanted to go. Everyone else stated they wanted to go except the three youngsters, Xiao Qingyun and Shao Yu, whose movement had been restricted.

But the question was whether they were going to shatter ice or climb the mountain. They genuinely desired to pursue both options. It was really difficult to make a decision.

In the end, Xu Ran made the choice on their behalf. He used to go up the mountain and dig wild veggies when he was Xu Village, so he chose to observe the ice-breaking and fish-catching!

Although this method was proposed by Xu Ran, he did not try it himself, so he did not know if it could work.

Gao Quan and Lu Qi made their way up the mountain. Gao Quan has completed some research on weeds and herbs. While Lu Qi proceeded to be the supervisor, he may be of some assistance on the mountain. After all, King Yan was the one who had to personally supervise the fishing.

After supper, the group split. Today appeared to be colder than yesterday. The biting wind whistled and tingled their faces as it swept across them. There were no safeguards in place, and they could only be exposed to the elements. They became accustomed to it with time, but their looks may suffer greatly.

Xu Ran covered his face and said to Liu Tong, "Tongtong, make a few scarves when we go back! In the future, we will wear some whenever we go out. If the wind is strong, we can shield faces with them. Otherwise, we would be shamed to be seen by people after being repeatedly mutilated by wind like that.

Liu Tong nodded and said with a smile, "No matter what kind of look Ran becomes, I won't dislike Ran."

Xu Ran smiled too. "Tongtong is able to sweet talk too. I'm really afraid that someone will compete for you with me. What if I can't fight your suitors?"

Liu Tong waved his fist. "Then I'll help you beat him up. I can't let anyone loot me away, right?"

After saying it, the two burst out laughing at the same time. They got more childlike as they grew older. They had never considered such an issue before.

_____

King Yan led them to the Yanzhou River, which flowed through the entire city. The river's name was Zhou River, which was straightforward and easy to remember. People had already gathered beside the river. These should be the locals that King Yan had instructed Yan to find the day before.

When they spotted King Yan, they began to kneel to greet him. King Yan abruptly came to a halt in front of a person "There is no need to stand on ceremony. On such a cold day, how can you kneel on the ground?"

King Yan's considerate behavior would probably touch these people.

King Yan pulled Xu Ran over and asked him, "I've found the people you need. They've all broken through ice to catch fish in the winter. You also discuss your thoughts on where the best area to catch fish is. Although the ice is thick, if you hit it too hard, it will break. It will be disastrous if someone falls."

Xu Ran said, "Simply draw a circle around the area where you typically catch fish, then chisel around the circle. Meanwhile, grab some cold water to dissolve the ice. In this way, it will work faster."

It didn't snow today, but it was windy. Because it was predicted that the water would not freeze as soon, King Yan agreed to what Xu Ran suggested and allowed people to obtain the water. These people were all expert fisherman who fished on the river frequently, so they were quite familiar with it.

Zhou River was very wide, looked more like a lake than a river.

These fishermen stepped on the ice, had a good look around, and picked a place. They began drawing the circle after notifying King Yan. Tangtang and Guoguo were summoned by Xu Ran to help. They had learnt kong fu and had a lot of strength, so they had to use it if they had the chance.

The water was also carried over after the circle was created. As Xu Ran predicted, some fishermen began to chip ice along the circle, while others began to pour water in the center. Xu Ran advised them to be cautious, not to use force, and to chisel the ice carefully.

He also requested that Tangtang and Guoguo pay closer attention. He did not, however, proceed to the ice with Liu Tong. For starters, it was too slick. Second, he was terrified of the cold. He was afraid that if he fell, he would be frozen to death.

A sound came from the center of the river, according to Xu Ran's irrational and chaotic conjectures. Xu Ran quickly regained consciousness and noticed that a chunk of ice had fallen into the water. It was successful!

"There are fish, fish, Dad, there are really fish below." Guoguo shouted and ran to Xu Ran, wanting to pull him to see.

Xu Ran shook his head. "I won't go. Go and help them get the fish! Remember not to touch the water. It's too cold. Be careful not to fall, and look after your brother, remember?"

Guoguo turned back and saw that Tangtang was looking at him. He nodded hurriedly, "Dad, I know." Then he slid forward.

The fishing net and wooden buckets were set up. The fishermen picked up the fish with nets and iron basins before depositing them in wooden buckets. A bucket was soon full with fish. There were already two buckets full of fish by the time virtually all of the fish under this circle had been scooped up. Even when the water was evacuated, there were more than half a gallon of fish within.

They were of big and small sizes. When the fishermen brought two buckets of fish to King Yan, Xu Ran said in surprise, "I didn't expect there are so many fish in the river."

Hearing Xu Ran's words, the fishermen explained, "This river is very long, and it is the deepest part of the river. We won't fish in this part when the weather is warm, so there are the most fish in this part. Look at the size, you cannot catch such big fish elsewhere!"

Xu Ran looked at the fish in his hand. It was the largest one among these fish, weighing four to five jin.

Xu Ran nodded. "As for wild fish, this is really big."

The fisherman nodded. "Tell me about it! Today, it was a good start. We should dig a few more holes. In winter, it doesn't matter even if the fish died."

The fisherman left and proceeded to locate a new spot to start over with the other fishermen. Xu Ran noticed Tangtang and Guoguo watching the fishermen and saying something to them.

Xu Ran turned to King Yan, "Have you ever considered raising fish and shrimp in this river, Your Highness? These are very delicious for foodies. Only people who are not fussy about food will be uninterested in them. Great Xia, on the other hand, has no shortage of foodies."

King Yan pondered for a moment and asked, "The towns close to Yanzhou have similar resources to the Yanzhou. The fish can not be sold out in these places. As to the farther places, how can the fish live for so long?"

Xu Ran smiled and said, "Dead fish, Your Highness, are also edible. Yanzhou is a natural ice house in the winter. You have the ability to freeze anything. Furthermore, we may dry the fish. Making salted fish and fish slices is simple. Remember, Your Highness, that there are 50,000 soldiers in Yanzhou if you are willing to do it. Yanzhou is the city with the most population."

Xu Ran had long advocated for allowing the troops to work, and King Yan had an idea in his heart. With 50,000 soldiers stationed in Yanzhou, there was no shortage of personnel. Although the Barbarians would frequently come and harass the region, as long as he didn't allocate too many people at once, it wouldn't have a negative impact on the overall situation, thus this might be considered.

Thinking of Xu Ran's concept of raising fish in the river and the grassland he had planted in three years, King Yan suddenly believed that as long as Yanzhou made it through this winter, happy lives awaited them.

King Yan's eyes were full of joy as he observed the folks on the ice. Zheng'er was indeed his fortunate star, since he had found a wise husband. King Yan grinned once more at this. Although this winter was colder than previous ones, it did not appear to be as harsh.

The fisherman dug three holes in the river and removed seven buckets of fish. They didn't dare to go on. After all, the holes were too close together, and the ice may split apart. It would be unfortunate if someone fell in. Seven buckets of fish was a lot of fish, and it might last for a few days. Furthermore, it was not the only source of sustenance.

King Yan instructed Yan to pay the fishermen and then allowed them to select a few fish to bring back to eat. Then he dispatched workers to return the buckets to the residence. Tangtang and Guoguo's cheeks were flushed rosy from their hard labor, making them even more beautiful.

As he went, King Yan spoke to Liu Tong, hoping to interact with him further. Xu Ran didn't bother them and purposefully went behind them with the two children.

Xu Ran asked Tangtang and Guoguo, "What do you think of Yanzhou?"

Guoguo said, "Dad, although it's a little cold, it's pretty good. But Dad, I don't want to live in the mansion. Can we find a place to live by ourselves? Although uncle is quite good, it was after all a little uncomfortable staying in others' home."

Tangtang also nodded. "Dad, although we are just here, my view is the same as my brother. I also think Yanzhou is very good. Dad, this place will eventually become prosperous."

Xu Ran nodded and agreed with Tangtang, then asked him, "What about you? What do you think of living in the mansion?"

Tangtang said, "Dad, if we have to stay in Yanzhou for a long time, we'd better buy a house. We'd better have a shop to sell some things. Otherwise, our silver won't last long."

Xu Ran said, "I've also thought about this and I've got an idea. You don't have to worry about the money. It'll definitely be enough. I will never let you starve. Think about it carefully. Do you want your uncle to find you a teacher who will teach you to read and do martial arts? After all, the person he finds will undoubtedly be superior to both me and Gao Quan. It is preferable if Lu Qi teaches you."

Tangtang and Guoguo thought seriously, then nodded in unison. Guoguo said, "Dad, we also have a similar idea, but Dad, the money-making method you mentioned, do you want us to help? If there is no need, I want to go to the military camp to train with the soldiers."

This was a brilliant idea. Guoguo was unconcerned, but what about Tangtang? Xu Ran turned to Tangtang and inquired about his thoughts.

Tangtang understood his meaning and replied, "Don't worry, Dad! If Dad can do it, I can too. I know that after he grows up, he wants to join the army. Then, wouldn't it be better to let him go to the military camp early to see and to learn?

Guoguo was touched by his brother's unconditional support.

Since the two kids said so, Xu Ran naturally wouldn't stop him.

He said, "Don't worry! Aren't there Gao Quan and the others? Even in Yanzhou, the two were still considered members of our family. You can be kids the way you are. You do not need to be concerned about the affairs of adults."

This was settled by the father and sons while laughing and conversing. Xu Ran had made a choice in his heart as well. He wished for King Yan to help them in finding a home as quickly as possible.

07.21.21

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

117K 7.7K 38
Jeon Jungkook n Kim Taehyung
90.1K 4.3K 11
↳ ︎in which a drunken hookup somehow turns into a pregnant podcast host mom and a famous volleyball player dad
248K 16.1K 142
The Divine woman Draupadi was born as the eternal consort of Panadavas. But we always fail to treasure things which we get easily. Same happened with...
40.2K 796 45
COMPLETED Alternative Title : 和渣狗离婚后加入豪门 Author : 安曦 The whole world knows that Lin Luo loves Lu Yixuan's love to die and live, and does not hesitate...