The Farm Life Of a "Fool"

By Haisizlien

TRANSMIGRATION: THE FARM LIFE OF A "FOOL" Xu Ran has been working in a company for two years after graduating... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150
Chapter 151
Chapter 152
Chapter 153
Chapter 154
Chapter 155
Chapter 156
Chapter 157
Chapter 158
Chapter 159
Chapter 160
Chapter 161
Chapter 162
Chapter 163
Chapter 164
Chapter 165
Chapter 166
Chapter 167
Chapter 168
Chapter 169
Chapter 170
Chapter 171
Chapter 172
Chapter 173
Side 1-2
Side 3-4
Side 5-6
Side 7-8
Side 9-10
Side 11-12
Side 13-14
Side 15-16
Side 17-18
Side 19-20
Side 21-22
Side 23-25

Chapter 129

1.3K 60 0
By Haisizlien

Everything in the kitchen was ready, and they were all waiting for Xu Ran to arrive. Mr. Chen summoned a chef and requested him to shadow Xu Ran. Xu Ran had not personally done it, but he recalled the processes. He was itching to try, so he rolled up his sleeves and cleaned his hands.

Liu Tong posed to be Xu Ran's helper, passing goods to him. The dough had been kneaded and was ready to use. Xu Ran just had to top it with butter and other seasonings before placing it in the steamer.

Although baking would produce a better result, they could only use a steamer because they didn't have an oven. After placing the hamburger buns in the steamer, Xu Ran began preparing the filling, which included chicken and fresh veggies.

Since everything was fully prepared, Xu Ran went on very smoothly.

The hamburger buns were almost ready when he finished making the filling. When they were cold enough to handle, Xu Ran removed two of them and filled them with meat, veggies, and chilli sauce. He then divided it into two parts, one for himself and the other for Mr. Chen to sample.

Xu Ran took a mouthful and declared it to be satisfactory. Despite the fact that the buns were not to his liking, the remainder of the meal was rather tasty, just like what he had had in modern times. Xu Ran was unconcerned by the presence of others in the kitchen. He took a mouthful and then passed the remainder to Liu Tong.

Since Xu Ran was staring at him, Liu Tong could only eat it.

After taking a bite, Liu Tong stared at Xu Ran with a funny look, "Ran, it's so hot."

Xu Ran dismantled the hamburger and examined it. Liu Tong had consumed all of the chilli sauce, he noticed. It's no surprise he found it spicy.

Xu Ran smiled and sent the hamburger over again, "You just had the chilli sauce. Now it's gone. Take another bite."

Liu Tong obediently took another bite. Xu Ran looked at him, waiting for his feedback.

When Liu Tong finished chewing and swallowed it, Xu Ran asked him, "Tongtong, is it delicious?"

Liu Tong didn't nod or shake his head. He just said, "It tastes a little better than steamed stuff bun."

Alright! In fact, steamed stuff buns are regarded as one of the quintessential Chinese dishes, and hamburgers are akin to them. Liu Tong, on the other hand, stated that it tasted better than steamed stuff buns, which might be seen as an indirect favorable response.

After listening to Liu Tong's opinion, Xu Ran shifted his eyes to Mr. Chen, "Mr. Chen, what do you think?"

Mr. Chen put on an act and commented, "It is superior to steamed stuff buns in terms of flavor. Apart from the filling, it felt empty at the front when I chewed it. There aren't a lot of things inside! They can't possibly be as filling as steamed stuff buns. Furthermore, because there is so much meat and veggies inside, they must be more expensive than steamed stuff buns. Xu Ran, do you think this thing will sell?"

Xu Ran said, "Mr. Chen, they sure will, but not by that many. How about this? Don't sell them at the entrance. You don't sell breakfast now, do you? After all, few people have rice in the morning. Breakfast is often steamed filled buns, steamed buns, or noodles. In the future, you might be able to sell this as a breakfast item. I'll tell you something more, and you may sell it with this."

Xu Ran shoved the hamburger into his mouth and swallowed it whole. Then he went on a search of the kitchen for the beans.

Xu Ran scooped up a handful of beans and said to Mr. Chen, "Mr. Chen, since you have these here, you should know the benefits of them. You could use them to create doufu and sprouts, but you could also grind them to make soya milk. In the future, you may sell hamburgers with soya milk and fries as a set meal. You may select the price now, and when they're all done, you can start selling them."

Mr. Chen looked at the beans in Xu Ran's hand and stared at him suspiciously, "You could make soya milk by grinding them? Is it drinkable?"

Xu Ran said, "Naturally, but it will take a little more procedure. You could definitely get soya milk by grinding them. As for drinking, If it wasn't drinkable, I wouldn't have mentioned it. Let's try this. I'll write down the steps for you. I'm not sure if anyone in town sells doufu or not. If so, pay him and have him grind the beans every day for you. However, you must agree ahead of time that he will not be able to sell it."

Mr. Chen paused for a while before responding, "Okay, I'll give this a try. I know someone who can help with the mills. I'll simply take the beans and give it a shot. Then jot down the instructions for me right now! You may come back when you've finished writing."

Xu Ran imagined the situation in which the entire table of people was waiting for them to have lunch, and he became embarrassed, so he rushed to write down the instructions for Mr. Chen.

Xu Ran carried the remaining hamburgers with him as he departed. He thought they were wonderful and that he could take them home and share them with his family. Mr. Chen, on the other hand, already had the materials on hand, and cooking hamburgers was a simple task. They could create more themselves if they wanted more.

When Xu Ran and Liu Tong left the restaurant, it was already late. They had intended to buy fabric today, but given the current time, they may as well wait until next time!

On their way home, Xu Ran drove faster than before.

As a result, it was already noon when they rushed back.

As soon as Xu Ran entered the gate, Zhuo Yun started to complain, "Xu Ran, you are the master of the house at least. Doesn't it bother you that I've been waiting for you for so long?"

Xu Ran spread his hands, "Did I slam the door in your face, or did I refuse to let you eat your lunch? You broke into someone's house while the owner was away, and now you're blaming it on me. Don't you feel ashamed?"

"Why should I feel ashamed? Let me tell you... Alas! Shuwen, don't pull me! I haven't finished yet."

Qin Shuwen pulled Zhuo Yun from his chair and hauled him through the door before he could complete his sentence.

Qin Shuwen said to Zhuo Yun, "Don't do that. The moment you are back, you bicker with Xu Ran. Do you want to eat or not? If not, stand by the door."

The show would be more enjoyable to watch if Qin Shuwen put his hands on his hips. With his arms crossed at the gate, Xu Ran grinned smugly at Zhuo Yun.

Zhuo Yun glared at Xu Ran, and then suddenly begged Qin Shuwen for mercy like a lamb.

"Shuwen, at least save me some face. Don't let that guy Xu Ran have a good laugh at me, Okay? I know that you cooked all the dishes on the table. Don't worry, I'll definitely finish them all."

Xu Ran smiled knowingly. So that was the reason!

Since Zhuo Yun stated so, Xu Ran knew Qin Shuwen wouldn't bother with him any longer.. Xu Ran stopped watching the show, went back to his seat and waited to eat.

A variety of dishes was all over the table. Xu Ran asked Shao Yu, "These are all cooked by Shuwen?"

Shao Yu nodded, "Yes, I just helped him. They are all cooked by him."

Xu Ran exclaimed, "Impressive!"

Shao Yu nodded, "Exactly! Shuwen just started learning and now he is able to cook so many dishes. I tasted them and they are quite good."

Xu Ran stuffed a chopstick of food into his mouth and then nodded, "Really nice. He's talented."

Xu Ran didn't bother waiting for the two people at the door who were still conversing. Absence, after all, makes the heart grow fonder. It had also been months since they had seen each other. Their encounter may have been more enthralling.

Xu Ran said, "Let's eat first! There is no need to wait for them."

After that, Xu Ran shouted at the door, "Zhuo Yun, if you don't come, we'll finish all the dishes!"

Xu Ran had hardly finished shouting when Zhuo Yun came in. Xu Ran sighed and rolled his eyes. How could this be so effective?

After Zhuo Yun, Qin Shuwen entered. It was much better now that everyone was present. Without a doubt, Zhuo Yun would not return today. The group could finally settle down and talk after lunch.

When Zhuo Yun sat down, he took his baby in his arms and didn't let go. If the infant needed anything, he took care of it on his own. He relished every second of it.

Xu Ran asked Zhuo Yun, "When did you arrive?"

Zhuo Yun said, "This morning. I didn't do anything when I got home, and asked the shopkeeper to drive me here."

Xu Ran could understand his impatience and nodded, "We've been anxious waiting for you these days. We thought you would come back in two months, but you didn't. Then it has been three months, and you still didn't. There has been no letters from you either. Shuwen has been really anxious."

Qin Shuwen felt a little embarrassed when he heard Xu Ran say this in front of so many people. He covered his face secretly.

Zhuo Yun said, "It was just because I wanted to come back sooner that I didn't go too far. We've been really fast on the road. It would have taken us a month to return if we hadn't been able to cut the journey down to 25 days. We haven't had any mishaps because our guide has a lot of expertise. We were lucky, but I'm not going back."

It was easy for Zhuo Yun to say so, but those who had spent time away from home were well aware of the circumstances on the road. This was not modern times, and one could go wherever he wanted if he had enough money. When people moved away in this age, the majority of the roads they traveled were mountain roads. The journey might often take days in the woods with no settlements or businesses. People could only sleep in the open.

Not to mention the food. If a hunter was skilled, he could hunt, roast, and consume his victim. If you're good at nothing, you can just eat your rations. He could only starve if rations were not available.

Zhuo Yun, on the other hand, didn't say anything about it since he didn't want Qin Shuwen to know. He had no intention of embarking on a long voyage in the future. He wouldn't have to go away for months again, which was a good thing.

Zhuo Yun also told them something interesting on the road. Those who had never heard of it before were amused.

Xu Ran thought of that letter from Zhuo Yun and asked him, "Zhuo Yun, where did you learn that there were fruit trees in Ban Yue Town?"

"Well, about this!" Zhuo Yun held Qingshu, let him stand on his laps and answered Xu Ran, "I learned that from a person in the caravan. He was from Ban Yue Town. He told me that there were a lot of fruit trees in his town, and advised me to go there and have a look, as I wrote in the letter."

"Did you know any detail?" Xu Ran continued.

"I asked about it. That person also said they had everything, including peaches, plums, cherries, and other fruits. There was no reason for this person to lie to me, I thought. I stated that my buddy, not I, was interested in buying them."

Xu Ran nodded, "Indeed. Here's my opinion. I've planted almost 500 trees so far, yet half of the field remains unplanted. I've been waiting for you to return so that we could go to Ban Yue Town together again. We could absolutely purchase some back, regardless of whether there are that many fruit trees there as the man said. That, together with the ones I get from other places, should enough. If there's still not enough, we could make plans next year."

Xu Ran completed his sentence and sat silently, waiting for Zhuo Yun's response. Zhuo Yun must have something to say because he had just returned and had to leave shortly.

Zhuo Yun didn't answer Xu Ran. Instead, he turned his eyes to Qin Shuwen.

Qin Shuwen knew Zhuo Yun's choice when his eyes met Zhuo Yun's. Qin Shuwen said, "Yun, you should make a trip to Ban Yue Town. After all, we run the fruit tree business together, and Ran is the one who has been working on this all the time. Since he has bought those fruit trees back, you have to do something!"

When Qin Shuwen said this, he wasn't treating all present as outsiders. Xu Ran and the others did not chip in and just listened to them.

Having heard Qin Shuwen, Zhuo Yun hesitated, "Shuwen, I understand what you said. It's just that I just came back and I'm leaving again. I don't want to be apart from you."

Even Zhuo Yun began to act coquettishly, leaning his head on Qin Shuwen's body. He was pushed away by Qin Shuwen "When I asked you to join the trade caravan, why didn't you mention that? You've gone all sentimental now. I stated it quite plainly. Whether you want to or not, you must go."

Zhuo Yun pouted discontentedly like a toddler when he realized there was no space for reply. Then Xu Ran smiled bitterly once more.

_____

Before Xu Ran accompanied Zhuo Yun to the orchard, they had a brief conversation. The mountain had been barren at first, but trees now filled half of the area. Some were just starting to bloom, while others had already begun to bear fruit. Despite the fact that a few trees were withered, the majority of them thrived.

Xu Ran pointed to the mountain and said, "Three years, within three years, I will make this orchard produce the largest, the most and the best fruits, and stay evergreen."

He was speaking to Zhuo Yun, but it was also an oath he was taking to himself that this was his aim. He planned to have a fruitful orchard in three years.

Before Zhuo Yun could speak, Xu Ran continued, "This mountain belongs to not just us, but also to our children. We shall leave them a means of subsistence and an eternal home, to which they can return at any moment."

Now Zhuo Yun understood what Xu Ran meant, "So you could predict that they will be away from home or what?"

Xu Ran burst into laughter and said smugly, "Look at my Tangtang and Guoguo. I can't cut their wings just because I don't want them to fly away. You know, some people are blessed. They are the chosen one, while Tangtang and Guoguo are two of them. Although they suffered a little when they were young, they will be spreading their wings now and the future."

"What about your Baozi?" Zhuo Yun asked.

Xu Ran said, "Baozi is different. He is still young now, and loved by us. He won't suffer in the future. He can choose his own life. He has the choice of marrying a man or someone he likes. We will not allow anybody to bully our children as long as we exist, so he can live his life at his own will."

As he spoke, Xu Ran began to want for such a life, but he appeared to be too old for it.

Zhuo Yun heard him and was stunned for a while. He said to Xu Ran, "A Ge'er can marry a man as his spouse? Xu Ran, are you kidding?"

Xu Ran argued back immediately, "Why not? You can't discriminate against Ge'ers, right? As long as the two love each other, nothing is impossible."

Zhuo Yun opened his mouth, not knowing what to say.

Originally, Xu Ran intended to say that a man might fall in love with another man. There was no difference between them except that they couldn't have children. However, given Zhuo Yun's current behavior, Xu Ran decided not to antagonize him. It wasn't the proper thing to do, after all.

Xu Ran changed the topic and said to Zhuo Yun, "Let's go! I will take you to recognize the fruit trees. I have planted the same kind of fruit trees together, so that when we pick fruits, we don't have to bustle about to look for them."

Xu Ran pointed to the trees and informed Zhuo Yun their names one by one as they got to the orchard. Despite the fact that Zhuo Yun recognized all of them, he paid close attention. Xu Ran also instructed him on the dos and don'ts of tree growing.

It was not until now that Zhuo Yun realized that the orchard was related to him for real, and that he was more than a spectator.

They had spent a long time in the orchard, walking through all of the trees. When they went, they both carried tools with them. They cut down the trees that had died. Some of the places fell unoccupied, which would be filled whenever new ones were purchased.

At this time, Xu Ran asked Zhuo Yun, "Are the goods selling well? Is there anything else selling well over there? In the first two years, we will not be able to benefit from this orchard. Not only that, but we'll need to put additional money into it as well. We need to come up with new methods to earn money."

Zhuo Yun said, "I was about to discuss this with you. Cured meat and sausages are in high demand, and the costs aren't cheap. We might make more this year and sell them to the trade caravan. The caravan and I have agreed that as long as they travel north, they will seek me out in town. Isn't there much left that were made last year?"

Xu Ran nodded, "There is much left indeed, but we probably couldn't give too much to the caravan. Both Mr. Chen and Lin Hua want more. We could only kill the pigs earlier this year. Otherwise, there will not be enough."

Zhuo Yun waved his hand, "It's fine. Just give them as much as we have. A thing is valued if it's rare. If they take too much with them, it won't sell well on the contrary."

Zhuo Yun and Xu Ran agreed. They deliberated for a while before deciding on the quantity of cured meat and sausages they would produce this year.

After this, Zhuo Yun asked Xu Ran, "How much have you spent on fruit trees?"

Xu Ran made a quick mental calculation, "I've already spent over 300 taels. Brother Qin has brought me 200 fruit trees, but I'm not sure how much the money is worth. I'll inquire of him later. I estimate that we'll need another 600 or 700 taels of silver to fill the entire orchard."

Zhuo Yun took out a stack of bank notes from his top pocket and handed them to Xu Ran, "Here's 500 taels, on me."

Xu Ran didn't stand on ceremony, took them over and shook them with his hand, "Are these what you have made from this trip?"

Zhuo Yun nodded, "Just about 500 or 600! Anyway, I don't have to worry about my daily costs now that I reside in your house and dine with your family. First and foremost, spend this money on the fruit trees. I'm guessing you don't have much money on you right now. You must have spent a lot of money on the deli you and my brother-in-law own!"

Xu Ran said, "Brother Qin has covered the major part, and I've only invested 200 taels of silver. Actually, it didn't cost much to open the shop. It was just because Brother Qin bought the shop next to him, and that was why he spent more."

"Actually, it's pretty good to buy it.His store is at a good position. Furthermore, the two stores are connected. Even if he doesn't do business anymore, he can still make a lot of money by renting them out." Zhuo Yun said.

Xu Ran nodded, "That is indeed the case. However, it takes much less time for the deli to get the cost than the orchard. I guess we might make it back this summer."

Zhuo Yun smiled, "Yeah! When we spend all of our money on the fruit trees, we will live on that deli."

Xu Ran spread his hands, "Exactly! But, do you agree to accompany me to Ban Yue Town or not? If so, let's go tomorrow so we can get back quickly. I don't want to go out since it's becoming hot outside, and staying at home is the best option."

Zhuo Yun looked bitter, "You have to let me rest for a few days! I just came back this morning. I haven't had a good sleep yet, and now you ask me to travel with you tomorrow. How could you do this to me?"

Zhuo Yun's condemnation made Xu Ran a little embarrassed. He touched his nose and said, "It's just that I want to get those fruit trees as soon as possible! Look, soon it will be time for me to dig up the potatoes and pick the strawberries. I will be busy then and won't have time to make a trip. How about this? Take a break for two days and we will set out the day after tomorrow."

Zhuo Yun gave Xu Ran a sidelong glance and nodded reluctantly, which might be interpreted as consent.

Xu Ran said, "Since you want to sleep, let's go back now! You don't have to have dinner either. Start from now, and you will get up tomorrow morning. I guarantee you will get enough sleep."

Zhuo Yun rolled his eyes, "I haven't had many meals at your house! And now you don't allow me to have dinner."

Xu Ran laughed, "I just don't want you to eat."

The two of them walked back while talking.

Since Zhuo Yun was here today, Liu Tong and the others didn't go out to do farm work.

Xu Ran requested Zhuo Yun to go to bed when they arrived home, and he allowed Qin Shuwen follow him. He even took the infant. Others were taken aback by his actions. What made Qin Shuwen feel that he was about to sleep with an emperor?

When Zhuo Yun and Qin Shuwen entered the room, Xu Ran became aware of the situation. He went away with Qingshu in his arms, his back absolutely straight, since he was too embarrassed to face everyone.

Tangtang and Guoguo arrived home early from school today. They spotted Xu Ran carrying little Qingshu as soon as they got home. They glanced about but couldn't see Qin Shuwen, so Guoguo came up close to Xu Ran and whispered in his ear, "Dad, Daddy Shuwen doesn't want Brother Qingshu anymore, right?"

Xu Ran was stunned and stared at Guoguo in confusion, "Why did you ask that?"

Guoguo said, "Because you're the one holding Brother Qingshu! Besides, Daddy Shuwen is gone, too."

Now Xu Ran understood why the two children had been looking around. Xu Ran smiled and said, "It's because Uncle Zhuo Yun is back. He's sleeping, and Daddy Shuwen is with him now, so Brother Qingshu is mine."

Tangtang and Guoguo heaved a sigh of relief when hearing this, "That's good."

Xu Ran was speechless, "Have the two of you seen anyone being dumped? Why did you ask such a weird question?"

The two children looked at each other, and Tangtang even closed the door. When he came back, he said to Xu Ran, "Dad, Little Donkey's daddy is supposed to have dumped him and gone away with someone else today, so he didn't attend to school today."

"Who is Little Donkey?" Xu Ran asked. This was such a terrible name.

Tangtang and Guoguo thought about it and realized that Xu Ran had no idea who Little Donkey was, so they told him about him and where he resided. After listening for a long time, Xu Ran still didn't grasp it, but he now understood Little Donkey was from the village.

Xu Ran asked them, "You said that Little Donkey's daddy ran away with someone. What happened?"

Tangtang and Guoguo answered, "Xiaobudian said it when we went to school today! He said that last night, Little Donkey's dad went for his granddad and told him that Little Donkey's daddy had run away with someone else. He wanted Little Donkey's granddad helped him get Little Donkey's daddy back."

Xu Ran was embarrassed after hearing that. Where could he look for him now that he'd already left? Was the village chief in charge of looking for the fugitive's spouse?

But Xu Ran got the picture. He said to Tangtang and Guoguo, "Don't worry about other people's domestic affairs. And you couldn't laugh at Little Donkey in the future because his daddy ran away with someone else. Just act like you don't know it, understand?"

Tangtang and Guoguo nodded obediently, "Got it, dad."

Xu Ran patted them on their heads and said, "Alright, go back to your room and review your lessons!"

When Tangtang and Guoguo left, Xu Ran was the only one who could not stop laughing at this ridiculous story.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 88 16
Niki is a dead boy who accidentally crossed over to the border of life. This predicament sets him up to meet a boy by the name of Kim sunoo who not f...
1.7M 69.2K 29
After a disastrous first season in London, Rose Wilde finds herself torn between two men who love her -- but who both hide secrets that could ruin he...
40.2K 796 45
COMPLETED Alternative Title : 和渣狗离婚后加入豪门 Author : 安曦 The whole world knows that Lin Luo loves Lu Yixuan's love to die and live, and does not hesitate...
27K 3K 54
❝Because we pray, he affects our lives.❞ Kaila Jorden was now an on fire for God girl, with all her life as good as it can be. She's dating the boy o...