The Farm Life Of a "Fool"

By Haisizlien

TRANSMIGRATION: THE FARM LIFE OF A "FOOL" Xu Ran has been working in a company for two years after graduating... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150
Chapter 151
Chapter 152
Chapter 153
Chapter 154
Chapter 155
Chapter 156
Chapter 157
Chapter 158
Chapter 159
Chapter 160
Chapter 161
Chapter 162
Chapter 163
Chapter 164
Chapter 165
Chapter 166
Chapter 167
Chapter 168
Chapter 169
Chapter 170
Chapter 171
Chapter 172
Chapter 173
Side 1-2
Side 3-4
Side 5-6
Side 7-8
Side 9-10
Side 11-12
Side 13-14
Side 15-16
Side 17-18
Side 19-20
Side 21-22
Side 23-25

Chapter 119

1.6K 70 0
By Haisizlien

Xu Ran said something to convey his thanks as the lunch feast began at noon. Of course, his last comment, "Please enjoy the meal," was perhaps the most popular among these individuals.

Because Xu Ran couldn't find time to eat, he requested Liu Tong to follow the Qin family, Housekeeper Zhuo, and the others while he went about his business.

Lunch feasts were served in two rounds. Even in the second round, all tables were filled and no seats were available.

Those who had completed their meals bid their goodbyes to Xu Ran and left. Those who had not yet begun to eat began to do so. Xu Ran estimated that the people were happy with the feast this time based on what was left on the table.

Wu Mei and the others arrived after the lunch feast to wipe up the tables. The village chief approached Xu Ran and presented him the list of gifts. Xu Ran had a look at it and saw that the money he converted from the gifts he had received was less than half of what he had spent.

He was doing it for the Baozi 100-day celebration, not to collect money; otherwise, he may have been so enraged that he puked blood.

The current list was lengthy, but no one had given money. Xu Ran stowed it away and told the village chief, "Thank you so much, chief of the village. Thank you for your tireless efforts throughout the morning. Tonight, come to my place for supper! Tonight I also have visitors. The more the merrier."

The village chief didn't say nay "Okay, I'll go back for the time being and return later. Put on a show for your guests! They don't appear to be ordinary people."

Xu Ran smiled, "You are joking. I'm just a peasant. Even if I want to know extraordinary people, I can never!"

The village chief smiled without saying a word.

Xu Ran could finally greet Qin Shuwu and the others after seeing the village head off. Qin Shuwu, on the other hand, said that he was returning after greeting them.

Xu Ran said, "Are you blaming me for your unfair treatment? Why are you leaving so soon after finishing your meal? Even if you aren't planning on staying overnight, you must extend your stay!"

Qin Shuwu said, "No, I really have something to do. Since the renovation is complete and you've also handed over the wooden shelf, I need to return and finish it as soon as possible. Dad and Daddy will be spending the night here, and you must look after them."

Xu Ran smiled, "Brother Qin, what are you talking about? Those are my sworn dad and daddy, so that's what I should do. Since you really have something important to do, I won't ask you to stay."

Once Xu Ran finished his words, Mr. Chen took out a piece of note from his top pocket, "Xu Ran! I came halfway, so I didn't prepare any gifts for the child. Take this money as my red packet money for the child."

Xu Ran pushed the note back, "Mr. Chen, what are you doing? I'm already very happy that you are here. Don't say anything else."

Mr. Chen said, "Xu Ran, we've known each other for almost two years! Thanks to you, Over the last two years, my restaurant's business has steadily improved. Aside from that, I have to attend your child's 100th birthday party. The only problem is that you didn't inform me about it. Regardless of what happens today, you must take my note. You're looking down on me if you don't take it."

Xu Ran's cheeks was flushed with embarrassment. He'd never seen anybody force someone else to take money before, and it was a terrible excuse. The most essential thing, though, was that it worked! With so many people there, Xu Ran couldn't say no to Mr. Chen at the table.

Xu Ran felt helpless, took over the note and said, "I thank you, Mr. Chen, on behalf of Baozi. Mr. Chen, just rest assured. In the future, as long as I have mountain products for sale, the first one I will think of is still you."

Mr. Chen smiled, "Since you said that, then I'm relieved. I'm leaving. The restaurant can't be left without anyone looking after it all day long."

"And me, and me, Xu Ran! I'm leaving too. I don't have anything good for you. I'll just give you a 100-year ginseng! I had intended to deliver it to the hospital for sale today, but I came here first." After that, Doctor He took out a 100-year ginseng from his top pocket.

Probably, only Dr. He would take a 100-year ginseng with him like this!

Doctor He spoke again just as Xu Ran was about to deny "You can't refuse mine, Xu Ran, because you've already accepted Old Chen's gift. I will not go today if you do not accept it."

Xu Ran, "..." 'Actually I'm not afraid of that. I have enough food and room for you in my house...

Before Xu Ran could speak, Mr. Chen leaned over and whispered in Doctor He's ear. Then Xu Ran heard something else from Doctor He soon, which was obviously from Mr. Chen. Doctor He might have just recited it all.

Xu Ran smiled, "Fine, fine. Doctor He, I will take your ginseng too. I thank you on behalf of Baozi."

Doctor He accepted it after Xu Ran accepted it. He was content,  he explained "With Old Chen and the others, I'm leaving. By the way, I'm going to get even with that Qin."

Dr. He was obsessed. Xu Ran began to wonder if Qin Shuwu had deceived Doctor He when he was still a child. Of course, Xu Ran had just had that idea. After all, there were not so many men who liked men.

Housekeeper Zhuo and the shopkeeper, Qin Shuwu's brothers, were also departing. In the end, just the elderly Qin couple would remain.

Xu Ran believed it would be best if they left together so they could look after each other on the journey. After all, everyone had never been to Xu Village before, save for Qin Shuwu and the shopkeeper.

Xu Ran escorted everyone outside the door, and didn't come back until the carriages went far away.

Xu Ran had received nothing from Qin Shuwu and the others. He might have offered something to either Liu Tong or the youngster.

Xu Ran already felt very happy that they had come.

Qin Shuwu and the rest had given Xu Ran nothing. He might have made an offer to either Liu Tong or the child.

He also needed to deliver Wu Mei and the others red packets. Except for nap time, Xu Ran had to scurry around the remainder of the day.

After a period of working, Xu Ran realized he hadn't seen his children, Lin Hua or anybody else. He went to Liu Tong to inquire about their whereabouts.

Liu Tong said, "They couldn't just sit around idling their time away. They asked Tangtang and Guoguo to take them up to the mountain after lunch. It's now spring. Many of the trees on the mountain are in full bloom. It's great for kids to see."

Xu Ran nodded, as if he understood. He reasoned that because his two children were present, there should be no issues, so he returned to his own business.

Lin Hua and the others returned when it became dark. The supper had been prepared. Those who were supposed to appear also showed up. Everyone was waiting for them.

Lin Hua looked a little embarrassed and was limping.

Xu Ran saw it when he opened the door. He asked Lin Hua, "What happened? How did you make yourself like this on the mountain?"

Lin Hua gave a bitter smile, "I didn't pay attention while walking down the mountain. I slipped and fell."

Xu Ran gave an unfriendly smile "Brother! It is preferable that you do not visit the mountain. I intended to take you to town tomorrow, but I didn't anticipate you going this route. Just stay at home tomorrow and recover! I'm only going to take Zhao Chen into town."

After that, Xu Ran started laughing again.

Lin Hua stretched out his injured ankle in front of Xu Ran, "Didn't you see that I'm injured? Are we still friends! I'm injured yet you are laughing so happily!"

Xu Ran pointed at Lin Hua's ankle, "Come on.Since you walked home alone, how serious could it be? Furthermore, you fell because you were not paying attention while walking. I'm sorry, but I can't sympathize with you. But don't be worried. I'm a kind person, so I'll offer you some white wine to rub your ankle with at night. Maybe you'll feel better tomorrow."

Despite the fact that his earlier remarks had angered Lin Hua, he chose to be magnanimous and ignore him for the sake of Xu Ran's last statement.

They'd been standing outside the door for a while. Lin Hua limped into the house as Liu Tong came out to summon them for supper. Zhao Chen started to help him, but Lin Hua declined "Xu Ran is totally right. It's not a big deal. However, if you help me, I will believe that I am badly hurt. That's not good. I'm still hoping to feel better tomorrow morning."

Zhao Chen was speechless as he stared at him. He removed his hands when he saw Lin Hua didn't truly need his help. Lin Hua was hailed warmly by everyone at the table as he hobbled in.

Although he felt embarrassed, Lin Hua still told the truth. After all, there were elders there.

Tonight, there were two additional people. They got together after supper. Xu Ran reasoned that they needed to do something to pass the time throughout the night. However, because there were so many individuals and such a wide age gap, the only thing he could think of was telling stories.

This time, however, Xu Ran would present suspense stories rather than stories from China's Four Great Classic Novels.

One of Xu Ran's favorite suspense dramas was "Young Judge Bao Qingtian." After all, Xu Ran could count on one hand how many good Chinese suspense dramas there were.

Xu Ran recalled his obsession with "Young Judge Bao Qingtian" back when he was little. During the day, he had sat in front of the TV and watched it alone. Then, late at night, he couldn't stop thinking about the sights he'd seen on television. He couldn't sleep because he was terrified. This, however, had not deterred him. He would have kept watching the next day. He even admired his own courage then.

Before telling the story, Xu Ran stated bluntly, "Don't listen to me if you believe you'll be afraid. I'm worried you won't be able to get a good night's sleep. What's more essential, I'm worried you won't dare to get up and use the restroom tonight."

Lin Hua waved his hand, "Just tell the story! How old are we? We're not afraid of it. Besides, it's not true. What's there to be afraid of?"

While the others stared at Xu Ran with the same look on their faces.

Xu Ran said, "You want to listen to the story yourselves. Don't blame me tomorrow." After that, Xu Ran smiled, as if something wicked was brewing up in his mind.

Xu Ran proceeded to deliver the narrative gently after seeing that no one protested.

_____

Many people, on the other hand, were doomed to sleepless nights this night. A scream jolted Xu Ran awake in the middle of the night.

Liu Tong had also awoken. With a smile, Xu Ran kissed Liu Tong and added, "I warned them not to pay attention. They didn't think I was telling the truth." Liu Tong smiled as well "We didn't have much to do in the first place! After all, it wouldn't have been a problem if you had told a different narrative."

Xu Ran put his hand on Liu Tong's waist, hugged him, and then said, "I can hardly remember anything else.I just wanted to attempt something different because you're probably tired of the stories in Four Great Classical Novels. After all, aren't you unafraid as well? They are cowards in their own right."

Liu Tong said, "Then you are the same with me. I'm bold to begin with, and I don't believe such things either."

Xu Ran said, "Why not? Think about me."

Liu Tong shook his head. "That's different, and those are obviously artificial."

Xu Ran kissed Liu Tong again, "Tongtong, you're so smart. You even know about this."

Liu Tong smiled, "Alright, let's not talk about this. Let's sleep! Aren't you going to town tomorrow?"

Xu Ran looked bitter, "But I don't want to sleep now!"

Liu Tong stroked his face, "Then what should we do?"

"Then let's do something meaningful!" Xu Ran said with an evil grin.

Liu Tong, who understood exactly what he was talking about, blushed and replied, "Fine."             (There they go again.. ಠ_ಠ)

_____

Lin Hua appeared to have forgotten about his nightmare from the night before the next morning. He dashed down the stairwell with a smile . " "My foot is in good condition! My foot is well!, Xu Ran."

His tone was so excited, as if he found himself pregnant.

Xu Ran approached him and slapped him on the back "So, what's the big deal? It's only that your ankle is back to normal. It's not like you're pregnant."

Lin Hua stamped on Xu Ran's foot with his injured foot yesterday, "I'm not a Ge'er. How could I get pregnant?"

Xu Ran's foot hurt, "Then why are you so excited?"

Lin Hua chuckled, "How could I not be excited? I recovered overnight."

Xu Ran crossed his arms across his chest "Then you must express your gratitude to me. How could you have healed so fast if it weren't for the words I spoke last night and the baijiu?"

Lin Hua curled his lips, "Thank you so much." Lin Hua said with no sincerity at all.

Xu Ran said, "Okay, enough with the dithering. Go have some breakfast and wash your face. After that, we're headed to town. It's worth a visit even if it's a little town like He Shui Town and there's not much of a difference between them."

"Ha ha, I'm going now." Lin Hua said and left. Xu Ran looked at him from behind and found that he didn't limp anymore, so he should have recovered for real.

The objective of his journey to town today was to get the deli's affairs in order. He had to stay by Tangtang and Guoguo's side at night because he had not been occupied throughout the day. He hadn't been to town in a long time, and Qin Shuwu had been handling everything on his own. It was now or never for him to go to the deli, or he would be sorry.

Lin Hua was ecstatic to be able to travel to town. He persuaded Xu Ran to leave after breakfast.

Xu Ran could not depart any time soon since he still needed to send the elderly Qin couple back. Xu Ran had wanted them to remain another night, but the elderly couple couldn't stop thinking about home and insisted on returning.

In fact, there was nothing in their house that they needed to be concerned about, but this was likely due to their lack of experience living in other people's homes. Because Xu Ran understood, he did not compel them to stay.

Xu Ran requested that Liu Tong prepare some food. There were still a lot of leftovers from yesterday that they couldn't eat, so it was ideal for the elderly Qin couple to return with the meal.

They left when it was about noon.

Xu Ran first returned the elderly Qin couple to the Qin's residence, then parked the carriage and brought Lin Hua and Zhao Chen to Qin Shuwu to see him.

The deli next to Qin Shuwu's fruit business was almost finished with renovations. Even Xu Ran saw the plaque had been placed up. Qin Shuwu was a hard worker.

Lin Hua and Zhao Chen were not brought here by Xu Ran for no cause. After all, they were among the first to begin selling cooked food. Lin Hua and Zhao Chen may have a look at the style of decoration and provide their opinions.

Anyway, it was to kill two birds with one stone.

Lin Hua and Zhao Chen had seen Qin Shuwu the day before and exchanged a few words. Xu Ran had also been candid with Lin Hua and Zhao Chen about the deli.

Lin Hua praised Xu Ran, "Aren't you doing great! You shops are everywhere."

Xu Ran said with a smile, "I just came up with this idea. It's you guys who offer all the money. I hardly do anything. But Lin Hua, your words just reminded me. Let me tell you.When you return, create a new branch of your current store. You couldn't run your entire business from a single location. Some clients may believe it is too far away and so refuse to visit your store. People will be closer to your stores if you have one on each side of the city, therefore there will be more clients."

Lin Hua touched his chin, "Well fine. Then I will go back and do some further research. But should I name it the same way?"

Xu Ran said, "This is simple. The main store is the first, while the succeeding stores are branch stores. After that, write the number next to the name. It will be easier for you to manage your branches when you open them to other locations later."

When Xu Ran finished speaking, he noticed Lin Hua frowning at him, and Zhao Chen and Qin Shuwu's looks were also amusing. "Why are you guys gazing at me?" Xu Ran wondered.

Lin Hua went around Xu Ran, and then said in a tone that sounded even more confused than Xu Ran, "I haven't noticed anything different about you! Yet how could you come up with so many ideas?"

Xu Ran began to break out in a cold sweat. He couldn't really take credit for anything. It was simply that in his former life, he had lived for so long and remembered a lot of things, even if he didn't want to remember them. In this life, he happened to put them to good use.

This would simply serve to demonstrate that succeeding generations' intelligence was not inferior to that of their ancestors.

Xu Ran said, "I don't know how I came up with them either. Anyway, I did. Besides, don't be bothered with how I came up with them. Since you are silly, do you want me to be silly like you?"

Xu Ran's last remark cut Lin Hua deeply.

Lin Hua trembled and felt very hurt.

He looked very funny though, which amused the other two people.

Qin Shuwu said, "Alright, you guys might discuss that when you go back. Today, let's talk about my shop.Have you two ever sold prepared food before, Lin Hua? Could you tell me which items are the most popular? On the day of my opening, I'll prepare even more."

Lin Hua did not hide the truth and informed him all of the dishes' names. It was only a couple things, nothing major. Qin Shuwu attentively wrote them down.

Xu Ran asked Qin Shuwu, "Brother Qin, when will the shop open? Do we need anything else?"

Qin Shuwu said, "I discovered a fortune-teller who can tell me the date. He said that March 12th was a lucky day and that it would be ideal for the store's launch. We don't require anything extra in terms of what we need. However, you must demonstrate how to place the food on the wooden shelf. I've also secured the clerk, who will be here tomorrow, for the training you indicated. Then you may put him through some training."

Xu Ran nodded, "No problem. I'll show you how to display the food on the wooden shelf right now. As for the training of the clerk, I will come to town tomorrow again."

"Okay!" Qin Shuwu nodded, then took the key over and opened the door next to his shop.

A peculiar odor struck them as soon as the door was opened. Xu Ran said, "You should keep this door open, Brother Qin! This establishment sells meals. No one would buy food here if it smelled weird."

Naturally, Qin Shuwu also smelled it. He said, "Got it. I will leave the door open at daytime these days. I guess it's from the renovation. Before the lime on the wall went dry, I closed the door."

Xu Ran remained silent. In the shop, the wooden shelf had already been put. He approached it and examined it. He had also requested Xu An to create something else for him when he had asked him to create the wooden shelf. Xu Ran had been in a rush when he gave the shelf to Qin Shuwu, so he hadn't informed him anything about these things. He'd simply stuffed them inside a sack.

Xu Ran looked down at the sack that was still lying on the ground, assuming Qin Shuwu had not yet opened it.

Xu Ran requested Qin Shuwu to accompany him through the door, where he opened the sack and removed the contents.

Those were the wooden frames and tongs Xu Ran had requested from Xu An. Food was displayed in wooden frames and placed on a wooden shelf to make it easier to transfer different types of food. The wooden tongs, on the other hand, were used to pick up the food.

Xu Ran had requested Xu An to use nails because he couldn't find the springs. People may not get accustomed to using wooden tongs at first, but they will become accustomed to them over time.

Xu Ran placed the wooden frames on the shelf one by one, explaining why he had built them to Qin Shuwu and the others. He also demonstrated how to utilize the tongs made of wood.

Qin Shuwu had never seen how things were sold in delis, so he felt it ordinary, but Lin Hua and Zhao Chen felt different.

After all, they were familiar with the way food was sold at delis. People took longer to pick up what they wanted since they were using chopsticks. Furthermore, they have begun displaying food in metal bowls. They were heavy and ugly.

Lin Hua was overjoyed when he saw these. He knelt down to help Xu Ran with his belongings and said, "How did you know these would work without informing us, Xu Ran? It's not as if you have no idea how we market goods."

Xu Ran smiled, "I didn't come up with this idea before! I wouldn't have brought you here today if I didn't want you to know about it. Take a closer look at this and make a mental note of it. When you return, find a carpenter and construct one similar to this. I gave it some thought. This item may be used for both cold and hot foods, as well as pastries."

Lin Hua looked over the wooden shelf with wooden frames on it and then nodded, "It's indeed a good stuff. Only you have a bright mind."

Xu Ran laughed. After all, he had lived another life. How would he survive if he didn't know anything?

The empty wooden shelf didn't appear very appealing at first, but it looked much better once wooden frames and tongs were added to it. It would look great if food were placed within the frames, with the engraved and coloured dish titles in front of the frames.

When Xu Ran finished his job, he smugly clasped his hands and stated, "Let us not discuss anything else. This wooden frame alone is extremely appealing. Brother Qin, keep an eye on me to see whether someone comes to buy this type of wooden shelf. Brother Xu An has aided me, therefore I need to find him some employment."

Qin Shuwu nodded. "No problem. I'll have my spouse prepare some foods tomorrow and bring them over for a taste test."

Xu Ran smiled, "This is naturally good."

After that, they spoke about the shop's interior design for a bit, then Qin Shuwu suggested that they go to town to hang out.

06.17.21

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

156K 6.5K 90
反派Alpha怀孕了 Status : 87 Chapters + 2 Extra (Completed) Author : 薄桃 Si Huaixi got bored while playing with zombies in the end times and picked up a n...
59.4K 1.8K 180
After an explosion, You XiaoMo finds that he is now a probationary disciple of the TianXin sect. However, he is one with dubious potential, so just w...
Erica By Sam

Historical Fiction

2.8M 153K 89
They say her voice was once bewitching to all who heard it. She was like a siren luring sailors to their deaths on quiet nights... Those are just rum...
52K 1.3K 71
Seven years ago, the Qi clan was on the verge of bankruptcy. Yan Ren decided to marry Qi Tang in order to assist Qi clan. Seven years later, the tru...