Serve's Up: Who Do You Choose...

By QueenOfNekoWriters

"I'm so sorry I can't attend your game..." I apologized to Katsuro, coughing quickly afterwards. "It's fine... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Eighteen

25 4 0
By QueenOfNekoWriters

Reader

"Everyone, let's head back to the court and show everybody what we're made of!"

"Yeah!"

Coach Ukai was getting everyone hyped after the lunch break we had all had. It must've been hard to get everyone excited and pumped, considering we haven't won a single game yet.

As everyone was getting their things together, I scanned the group for the person I needed to talk to.

"Ah, Tsukishima-san!" Walking up to him, a concerned expression was visible on my face, "You seem to be a bit tired today; your reaction time has slowed down a bit while your yawns increase. Did you sleep alright?"

Tsukishima took a minute to respond, his eyes seeming to be scanning over my expression as if looking for the reason I'd be concerned.

"I went out for a run this morning. Nothing you need to worry about."

His answer was so direct and simple, it almost seemed too simple.

"If you say so..."

Being called by the others, I made sure to catch up with them as we headed to the gym.

I can hope that's the only reason he seemed tired. Depending on how early Tsukishima woke up, it can make sense if that's what he's getting tired from.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Tadashi

I know that Tsukki did get up and head out early, but I don't know how early he left. But I do know that he had taken his headphones with him; the absence of his headphones when I woke up is proof of that. But if that's the case... Tsukki didn't go running...

I've heard him mention that it's hard to run or go on jogs with his headphones since they fall off during runs. He also mentioned they get sweat on them and from what I can tell, he doesn't like the idea of getting his headphones all sweaty. Once I had suggested that he use some earbuds for his runs, I never saw him use headphones for runs ever again.

So what were you doing this morning... Tsukki? What made you feel like you had to lie about what you were doing? Did you get into some trouble...?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Reader

"The guys seem like they're going at it with everything they have." Yachi mentioned as we were both sitting on a nearby bench.

Not taking my eyes off the court, I nodded.

"I suppose the fact that they haven't won a game makes them that much more determined to win a game. Though the runs and laps they have to do after each loss must be wearing them out."

Sighing softly, Yachi stood up.

"I'm going to go fill up the water bottles so they'll have extra cold water after their next match. Would you mind joining me? I don't like the idea of getting lost in the hallways..."

"Sure." I stated simple, already heading to the water bottles, "We might need a basket or something to hold the water bottles though. I don't think the two of us could carry all of these on our own."

Yachi seemed to be one step ahead of me, already having acquired two baskets.

"Oh, thanks."

The two of us then filled up the baskets with the water bottles before exiting the gym, not wanting to waste any time.

"(Last Name)-san, do you mind if I ask you about something?"

I turned to face her as I had just placed the basket I had been carrying down.

"Sure, go ahead. Do you need me to wait to fill up the water bottles? Is it serious?"

Yachi shook her head vigorously, making me worry for her neck...

"No, that isn't it. I just wanted to ask to be sure, but do you have a crush on any of the guys in the club?"

If I had been drinking something at that moment, I surely would've spit it out in shock.

"A crush?! Why would you ask something like that?"

Yachi frowns softly, continuing to fill up the water bottles.

"I'm not saying that you do or anything... But you do tend to help Yamaguchi-san more often than the others. In addition, Tsukishima-san seems to actually tolerate you. I'm not making any assumptions, but it does seem like... You know..."

Yachi soon began to be caught up in her mumbling, apologizes spilling out here and there. Meanwhile, I was occupied with my own thoughts.

Had I really been helping Tadashi more than anyone else...? I mean, I knew Tsukishima tolerated me more than the others; our established friendship is proof of that. But is that really a basis for anything?

"Yachi-san, are you asking because you have a crush on one of them?"

I shouldn't have asked that... Yachi's face flushed and an enormous blush formed on her face. She even dropped the water bottle she was holding.

"No... Not at all! I was just asking because I wanted to help you if you did have a crush on them! I'm so sorry!"

Why did I have to ask her that...?

"It's alright, really. Please stop apologizing; we have to get these water bottles to the guys back in the gym after all."

Luckily, I was able to bring Yachi out of her stupor, and we loaded the water bottles in the baskets, ready to take them back to the gym. To be honest though, I didn't think helping Yachi with this would be so mentally exhausting...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Game point! Come on, let's win this and get some dinner!"

The opposing team seemed to get pumped, making my frown only linger. It was really hard to see the team I had been working with so hard getting beaten game after game.

"Seems like it'll be another loss for us..."

It seems Yachi's just as depressed as the team. Not that I can't blame them.

"I'm going to see if I can help the people in the dining hall. Perhaps get our team's food served...?" I stated as I stood up, heading for the door.

Yachi nodded softly, and I thought that would be it. I certainly didn't expect to never get out the door of the gym.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Tsukishima

Sheesh, this is getting quite annoying. To deal with loss after loss. Even with everyone saying things like 'this time we'll win' and such, I can't help but think they think that believing hard enough will secure a win.

Idiots, all of them.

"Tsukishima, it's all you!"

Sigh...

Running up to the net, I was going to make my hit or whatever, when it was easily blocked. The ball flew to the side, easily being out of bounds. And with that, the game went to the other team. Not that I really expected to win.

"Oh shit, (Last Name)!"

"Oops... I'm so sorry about that."

Wait, what...?

Turning towards the other guy's stares, I saw (Name) on the ground. Based on the ball laying on the ground nearby, it's easy to put together what happened.

I, along with the others, were surrounding (Name) in moments, Coach Ukai checking her condition and such.

"She must've fainted upon impact. Her breathing is normal though. Sheesh, not even three full days into this and she's already become a regular patient for the clinic..."

Could she have gotten a concussion..?!

"I'll get the nurses to come check on her. You guys head down to go eat. I'll take care of her."

Well, despite the fact he's loud, Coach Ukai seems to be dependable every now and then.

Without another word we were sent to go get our lunch. Funny how they expect us to eat when I'm feeling sick to my stomach.

Was it my fault this happened? What if I had attempted a better spike? Perhaps I should've done a feint after all.

"Tsukki, you shouldn't blame yourself."

Being snapped out of my thoughts, I glanced at Tadashi who was wearing his usual concerned expression.

"Yeah, whatever. Just focus on eating your food."

"Sorry Tsukki...!"

Damn... How can he seem to be able to read my thoughts so easily? Sometimes I wonder how frightening it would be to have Tadashi as an enemy....

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Reader

"How often do you plan to worry us by getting injured?"

Sighing, I tried to think of a good answer to give. I supposedly hadn't been out for long and was able to go get dinner with everyone as they hadn't finished giving out dinner and such. But I wasn't expecting a lecture from the entire team.

"It's not like I'm trying to get injured..." I muttered, knowing this wouldn't suffice.

Especially for the mom of the team.

"You should be more careful of your surroundings! Make sure to look both ways before crossing the court, and keep your hands up in case a stray ball heads for your head. Keep your knees slightly bent so you can receive the ball if necessary. Drink lots of water as well-"

Sugawara-senpai... I appreciate the help you offer... But I already have a mom....

"It's my fault she got injured."

Nobody expected Sugawara to be cut off by Tsukishima, his words cutting through the tension and his tone... It was easy to see that he was serious about his statement.

"Tsukishima-san..." My voice trailed off, unsure of how to react, "You don't have to blame yourself for this. I wasn't paying attention."

I had heard of how it was Tsukishima's spike that had been blocked being the reason I had been knocked out. Regardless, I can't blame him for this. He couldn't have known this would happen.

Soon enough though, the others began telling Tsukishima how it wasn't his fault, and the tension and lecturing had ended.

"(Last Name)-san, let's get our food and escape while we still can."

Although I didn't necessarily agree with leaving Tsukishima to deal with this, I was extremely hungry.

"Alright."

Tadashi and I then grabbed our own dinners, taking the opportunity to escape the team's mothering nature.

Escaping to an outside bench, the two of us sighed, as we had finally escaped the chaos.

"You think Tsukishima-san will be alright?" I questioned before plopping a bite of rice into my mouth.

"I bet Tsukki will be just fine. If he really wants to, he'll just glare until the others leave him alone."

Chuckling softly, I then took another bite of rice.

"You know, I've been curious about something for a while..."

Tadashi gave me a side glance, finishing his own bite before responding.

"What is it?"

I took a moment to phrase my question correctly before answering.

"Normally people don't let others call them by their first name unless they're close... So I just had to wonder... Why do you let anyone call you 'Tadashi'?"

Tadashi was a bit taken by my question, thinking it through before he finally came up with an answer.

"To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. I suppose if I had to come up with a reason... I like to consider everyone a potential friend.... And if letting others call me by my first name will help with that... I'll happily do so."

Tadashi gave a soft smile after giving his answer.

... He was just so pure! I honestly couldn't believe it!

"If that's the case... Please, call me (Name); no honorifics needed."

Tadashi seemed taken back by the privilege I had just given.

"If that's the case... You don't need to add the honorifics to my name either... Thank you (Name)."

He seemed to stutter a bit on my name, which was understandable. I had just given him the right to something only close friends normally receive.

But does this mean we are close friends...? Sometimes it's hard to tell.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

304 20 19
"Even if no one else does..I'll always love you..." Hey guys! Welcome to my very first fanfic! This fanfic is based off the anime show: Haikyu!! feat...
190K 5.1K 21
{Rewriting} [L/N] [Y/N], a first-year student at Karasuno High who just moved around town. Her cousin, Shimizu Kiyoko suggested her to enroll there a...
480K 16.6K 40
Kinda a Youtuber AU, kinda not. "(L/N)-San, there is a very pretty 3rd year asking for you outside!" One of your classmates called over to you. "Okay...
54.2K 1K 49
Y/n a first year attending Karasuno along with her best friend Shoyo. One night she downloaded this app named strangers. When she meet someone in Jap...