The Farm Life Of a "Fool"

By Haisizlien

TRANSMIGRATION: THE FARM LIFE OF A "FOOL" Xu Ran has been working in a company for two years after graduating... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150
Chapter 151
Chapter 152
Chapter 153
Chapter 154
Chapter 155
Chapter 156
Chapter 157
Chapter 158
Chapter 159
Chapter 160
Chapter 161
Chapter 162
Chapter 163
Chapter 164
Chapter 165
Chapter 166
Chapter 167
Chapter 168
Chapter 169
Chapter 170
Chapter 171
Chapter 172
Chapter 173
Side 1-2
Side 3-4
Side 5-6
Side 7-8
Side 9-10
Side 11-12
Side 13-14
Side 15-16
Side 17-18
Side 19-20
Side 21-22
Side 23-25

Chapter 45

4.4K 185 53
By Haisizlien

Zhuo Yun chose not to visit the Xu Village now that they had arrived in town. He allowed Xu Ran's family to board the carriage and proceed to the Zhuo Mansion.

On the carriage, Zhuo Yun delivered some good news to Xu Ran. The strawberry seedlings were discovered with the assistance of Qin Shuwen's eldest brother. Not only that, but he also discovered an elderly gentleman who was an expert at growing strawberries.

Xu Ran jumped up happily hearing such good news.

He grabbed Zhuo Yun's hand and thanked him. He asked eagerly, "Zhuo Yun, when can the strawberry seedlings be delivered? Are they from that old man?"

Zhuo Yun shook his head, "I'm not sure about that. I came to see you today because my eldest brother-in-law is staying with me, and I wanted to speak with you. For the past five years, Shuwen hasn't asked his eldest brother for anything. My brother-in-law is also pregnant, so he is really involved in your case for his own sake. This time, you've had the best of the deal."

Xu Ran rolled his eyes and said to himself, 'Is it really good that you show off like this? But for the sake of your help, I won't blame you for it.'

As both of them were chatting, their carriage had soon arrived and stopped at the entrance of the Zhuo Mansion. The shopkeeper came to meet them.

In the living room, Qin Shuwen and his eldest brother, Qin Shuwu, were conversing. Qin Shuwen's eyes were locked on Xu Ran and Zhuo Yun's hands without blinking as soon as he saw them walking in together. His face was flushed with disappointment as he discovered they had nothing but the hands of the two children they were carrying, which was quite amusing.

Seeing this, the two children were in a muddle, but the adults present all covered their mouths to stifle their giggles. Of course, there was also a muddleheaded man on the scene, Qin Shuwen's eldest brother, Qin Shuwu.

He looked at Qin Shuwen, and then at Xu Ran as well as the other two people present.

As Qin Shuwen shot him an angry glance, Zhuo Yun didn't dare to laugh again. He explained to Qin Shuwu, "Shuwen likes the food from Xu Ran's family, but this time they didn't bring anything, so Shuwen is very disappointed."

Qin Shuwen blushed at what Zhuo Yun said, and he tried to silence him with a glare. Zhuo Yun rubbed his nose and pretended he wasn't aware of the situation. He walked over to Xu Ran and introduced himself.

"This is Xu Ran, the eldest brother-in-law. I informed you. His spouse, Liu Tong, and their two children, Tangtang and Guoguo, are over there. Shuwen's eldest brother, Xu Ran, so you can also call him brother!"

Xu Ran bowed and greeted, "Nice to meet you, Bro Qin."

It was improper for Liu Tong to speak in such an occasion. He just smiled, nodded and let the two children go over to call him Uncle.

Tangtang and Guoguo were obedient and did as they were told. Qin Shuwu gave them two oranges, which should have been specially prepared for Qin Shuwen.

Both Tangtang and Guoguo thanked him and obediently returned to Liu Tong.

Following the introduction, they sat down to discuss their business. Qin Shuwen felt liberated from his confinement, so he invited Liu Tong to join him in another room for a conversation.

After they left, Xu Ran started to consult Qin Shuwu about the strawberry seedlings.

Qin Shuwu told him, "When I went out to get some groceries, I noticed the strawberry seedlings. The location is not far from where we are now, about a two-day carriage ride away. An elderly man was picking up wilted leaves in the field at the time. I was taken aback and went up to inquire more about the situation. He told me that he had planted the strawberry trees and that his family had made a fortune growing strawberries. His sons had already relocated to a new place. He was adamant about not accompanying them. However, his wife died at the end of last year, and neither of his sons returned. He had to handle his wife's funeral on his own. He wasn't in the mood to serve the strawberries right now, but it seemed a waste to throw them away, so he came to weed every now and then. "

"Then is he willing to sell them?" Xu Ran asked.

"I've also asked him about it. The strawberry plantation is his life's work from his painstaking labor. He said that it's better to sell it to someone who wants to work on it than to let it go, " replied Qin Shuwu.

"His strawberry plantation should have been in operation for many years. Maybe those trees are too old and useless. Do they have new sprouts?"

Qin Shuwu nodded, "I know this. At the time, I went to see it in the area. There were a number of new sprouts on the leaves, which should be enough to cover five mu of land with trees. The majority of them were planted the previous year. You'll have a decent harvest if you bring those trees here this year."

Xu Ran realized that the strawberry trees wouldn't produce much in the first year. Their second year, on the other hand, was markedly different. This five-hectare plot of land was projected to yield more than the ten-hectare plot planted with new strawberry seedlings at the time.

"Did Bro Qin ask how the strawberry seedlings would be sold then?" Zhuo Yun asked anxiously.

Xu Ran also stared at Qin Shuwu. To him, money was an important issue!

Qin Shuwu looked at them two and smiled, "That man said that he only needed one hundred taels of silver for it. He just hopes that you can really take good care of the strawberry trees."

"One hundred taels!" Xu Ran was taken aback and thought he had asked for much too little. A strawberry seedling should be sold for at least two yuan in today's market, and they had ten mu of land! Clearly, Xu Ran had no understanding of conversion.

"Mm," Qin Shuwu nodded, "This is a reasonable price. A ten-hectare plot of land is a sizable area. I believe you should remove all of his strawberry plants. I know you've never had any prior planting experience, so I've invited the old man to come over and help you."

Xu Ran thought he was really a considerate person, "Thank you, Bro Qin, for having arranged everything so well."

Qin Shuwu waved his hand, "Not at all.I appreciate your assistance to my brother. Of course, my work is subject to such restrictions. If the strawberry planting goes well, you can hire me as your sales agent. What do you think of it?"

"No problem," Without hesitation, Xu Ran decided. He was actually concerned about how he would market his future produce. Qin Shuwu had his own shops and social connections, which meant he wouldn't have to deal with too many problems.

Xu Ran asked again, "Bro Qin, when can the plants be transported to my place then?"

"It can be arranged as soon as it is agreed. Someone on my side is in charge of it. We will deliver the plants directly to you at that time, but you'll have to pay all the expenses. And I'll send the old man to you first. You'll fix him up with a place to stay, "Qin Shuwu said.

Xu Ran nodded, "Okay, I will. Thank you so much, Bro Qin."

The matter of the strawberry seedlings was thus settled. Zhuo Yun kept silent all the time. Seeing that both of them had made an agreement, Zhuo Yun asked, "Xu Ran, didn't you say you were going to sit for the imperial examination? Have you registered with Yamen? "

Xu Ran was stunned. He had been busy recently and had completely forgotten about this. But it was only the 2nd lunar month now, was it too early to register?

Seeing Xu Ran's confusion, Zhuo Yun explained, "The number of people who can take the exams is limited. The exam has been conducted in February for the past few years. It was later adapted to March. The registration period, however, is still in February. It's the ideal time for you to register right now."

Qin Shuwu also nodded, "I've heard of this. You might as well go today!"

To sign up, he needed to have an identity document, but usually, who would go out with this? Xu Ran shook his head and said, "I'll go tomorrow then. It won't work because I didn't bring any documents with me today. Oh, and by the way, Bro Qin and Zhuo Yun, as you can see, I've never taken a test like this before. And I've been a fool for so long that I've forgotten a lot of things. Please tell me if there's anything I need to pay attention to in this case."

"Really, there aren't many things to pay attention to, but you'll have to wait for the test for three days, and we're not sure if your health will allow it. After all, March isn't particularly hot. When you go to the exam, you can't take something with you. However, are you sure you can pass it?" with that, Zhuo Yun couldn't help worrying for Xu Ran, because he often saw him doing other things, but never saw him preparing for the test.

Xu Ran rubbed his nose and replied shyly,"No matter what, I have to try it. Otherwise, I can't even afford to pay taxes for so many fields in my family."

Zhuo Yun rolled his eyes at him, "You are a real success. You want to be a scholar just for not paying taxes."

Xu Ran shrugged, "What else can I do? I don't want to be an official."

Looking at them two bickering, Qin Shuwu didn't get in a word. He was thinking about what Xu Ran just said about his past that he had been a fool for so many years.

At last, both of them stopped arguing, and Qin Shuwu asked, "Xu Ran, what's the matter with you saying that you used to be a fool?"

Xu Ran was no longer bothered by this. After all, it wasn't he who was the idiot. He still had faith in Zhuo Yun, and Qin Shuwu had been kind to Qin Shuwen. At the very least, he wouldn't hurt his brother. As a result, he told them the truth.

"My brother poisoned me and forced me down the mountain when I was 17 years old, and I had been a fool for seven years. Fortunately, God kept an eye on me, and I was able to recover."

Although Xu Ran said it in a plain tone, the two listeners didn't think so. In reality, Xu Ran was poisoned by his own brother. Xu Ran had never listed his father or daddy, and Zhuo Yun now understood why. When he went to see him during the Spring Festival, he used to be perplexed as to why his family lived in a bamboo house with no elder.

Now, the case was entirely cleared.

Qin Shuwu felt a little embarrassed. He didn't expect that there was such an inside story. He apologized, "Xu Ran, I am sorry. I was just curious and asked casually. Don't take it to heart."

Xu Ran waved his hand and said indifferently, "Never mind. It's all past. I'm fine now and my life is good. If I were still thinking about what had happened in the past, were I finding troubles for myself?"

"You should take it easy for yourself," Qin Shuwu appreciated for Xu Ran's attitude to his past.

At noon, the whole family dined at Zhuo Yun's house. In order to reward Qin Shuwen, Liu Tong and Xu Ran did the cooking themselves.

Finally, all of them enjoyed a full table of delicious food.

After lunch, Xu Ran and his family were about to go for a stroll on the street. They would also go to Zhuo Yun's shop to get some vegetable seedlings. Qin Shuwen also clamored to go out. Zhuo Yun and Qin Shuwu were unable to dissuade him and therefore they just accompanied him too.

After a long conversation with Liu Tong, Qin Shuwen's feelings for Liu Tong grew stronger. Liu Tong had a positive impression of Qin Shuwen as well. They would have been able to fall in love with each other if they hadn't already been married.

Qin Shuwen had never cold-shouldered Liu Tong since the first time they met, which made Liu Tong very happy. He was aware that he was too tall to be a Ge'er, and few in the village had spoken about him at first, with the exception of Wu Mei and the others with whom Liu Tong could thus form friendships.

Qin Shuwen was attractive and came from a well-to-do family. Even Zhuo Yun couldn't seem to get enough of him, and several people in town wanted to be his friend, but Qin Shuwen had just met Liu Tong and clicked with him. Liu Tong also realized that it wasn't only that Xu Ran was Zhuo Yun's good friend, but that Qin Shuwen wasn't bad either. At least Liu Tong liked him very much.

When they arrived on the town, Qin Shuwen also talked with Liu Tong nonstop. So Tangtang and Guoguo discreetly ran to hold Xu Ran's hands.

Although they sauntered along the street, they didn't buy anything else except the small toys and snacks for the two children . Qin Shuwen tried several times to buy the food on the side of the street. And he was just stopped by Zhuo Yun and Qin Shuwu. "The food sold on the streets is filthy. If you really want something, we'll have the cook make it for you after we get home." The words were really reasonable and attractive.

Qin Shuwen could only swallow and grumbled at the two in his mind.

They didn't spend much time strolling down the street. Xu Ran reasoned that he still had things to do tomorrow and that it would be best if he returned sooner, so he and his family bid Zhuo Yun and the others farewell.

After going back home, he found that Foreman Li and his men were all here clustering together and talking.

When they saw Xu Ran's family came back, they greeted warmly, and Tangtang and Guoguo's playmates also took a day off today. Xu Ran walked over and asked, "Why don't you go to have fun? It is a rare holiday today.".

Foreman Li shook his head and said, "My family is not here, and there is no place worth going at the village. We would have to spend money if we go to the town, so it's better to stay here."

It was only then that Xu Ran realized that in ancient times, there was no distinction between work and holidays, in contrast to modern times, when people would spend every free moment going out.

Xu Ran sympathized with him that everyone had his or her own lifestyle, so he couldn't force them.

____

The next day, Xu Ran went to the county administrative office and registered for the provincial test, which would take place from March 9th to March 11th on the Chinese lunar calendar.

Then Xu Ran accompanied Qin Shuwu to Qingyuan Town in order to inspect the strawberry seedlings and return the old man. Mr. Hu was the old man's surname, and Xu Ran addressed him as such.

Mr. Hu was sixty-five years old, but he seemed to be in good health, despite the fact that he didn't smile much. This was mostly due to the fact that he still missed his spouse, who had recently died, and that he was an affectionate person.

Knowing that Xu Ran was the one who wanted to buy these strawberry seedlings, Mr. Hu repeatedly reminded Xu Ran to take good care of these the seedlings.

Xu Ran nodded, "Rest assured, Mr. Hu! Anyway, you will live with us. If I don't treat these strawberries well, you could just give me a lecture and I promise to accept it."

"Yeah. I will help you fix him if he turns a deaf ear to your words, Mr. Hu." Qin Shuwu said as well.

Seeing that the two of them saying it this way, Mr. Hu believed them and laughed, although he seldom smiled.

Qin Shuwu tracked down the people who dug the strawberry seedlings. They were paid ten pence per day, and after digging, they put the seedlings in baskets and brought them to Xu Village by carriage.

Xu Ran reminded them not to damage the roots when digging the plants; then he went back home with Qin Shuwu and Mr. Hu.

Mr. Hu's arrival was also known to Liu Tong. As Xu Ran left, he immediately began cleaning the house and preparing something special for Mr. Hu. Several cotton blankets were also attached to the bed at home, making it very comfortable to sleep.

Xu Ran came back on the fifth day after going out. When he reached the door, it was almost dark.

There were two carriages. One was carrying Xu Ran, Qin Shuwu and Mr. Hu. The other was a wooden cart specially used for carrying strawberry plants.

Qin Shuwu and his family couldn't live at home because there was no spare space. As a result, the three members of Qin Shuwen's family returned before the sun set, leaving only a cart of strawberry plants behind.

They arrived just in time for dinner when Xu Ran and the others returned. Black bricks had started to be steadily brought from the town to Xu Ran's home in the days following Xu Ran's departure. Those were the days when the workers were busy removing and stacking bricks.

They hadn't seen Xu Ran in a few days, and when he returned, he not only brought a cart full of strawberry plants, but he also brought an elderly gentleman, who drew the attention of all the passers-by.

Xu Ran introduced him to them with a smile, "This is Mr. Hu. who comes here to help me. Would you mind taking care of him, lads?"

"Of course not. When you go out, we will help you look after him." Foreman Li said frankly.

Liu Tong came over and said to Xu Ran, "Ran, let Mr. Hu eat first! Youguys must be tired and hungry after such a long carriage trip."

Xu Ran nodded and introduced Liu Tong as well as his two beloved children to Mr. Hu.

Generally speaking, old people like children. Tangtang and Guoguo were very capable speakers who chanted 'Grandpa Hu! Grandpa hu!' which made him laughed happily.

Xu Ran's family hadn't made a fire to cook at their own house since the construction team arrived, so they only ate with the team, who had three dishes and soup every day. Liu Tong aided in the kitchen on occasion. The food was delicious and smelled fantastic. Liu Tong gave chopsticks and bowls to Xu Ran and Mr. Hu who had bad teeth in his old age so Liu Tong specially took out the soft rice from the middle part into Mr. Hu's bowl

There were so many people that three tables were occupied, and as they were acquainted, they began to chat a lot. They didn't think of Mr. Hu as an outsider, either. Mr. Hu was pleased with his meal as well.

When Mr. Hu arrived here with just a pair of shoes on his feet, he only brought a few clothes and some essential things. Fortunately, Liu Tong went to town to buy a pair of shoes for the old man, and he asked him to wear them at night as a pair of slippers.

Knowing that they were tired, Liu Tong quickly boiled the water after dinner. After a while, they could take baths and then directly go to bed.

The family of Xu Ran took a bath in a wooden barrel. When there were adults present, Tangtang and Guoguo bathed in the barrel; when there were only the two children present, they bathed in the wooden basin. Xu Ran considered adding another larger basin to his family.

Xu Ran led Mr. Hu to the room prepared for him; then they had a wander around the house, making Mr. Hu familiarize himself with this place, and then they took baths when Mr. Hu almost absorbed it.

Xu Ran was concerned that Mr. Hu would be unable to bathe alone, so he offered to accompany him. Mr. Hu, on the other hand, was adamant about not letting him in no matter what. Xu Ran could only stand guard outside the entrance, ready to rush in if he sensed anything amiss.

However, Mr. Hu was still able to rely on himself, and he didn't give Xu Ran a chance to get in.

Mr. Hu went to sleep after his bath. Mr. Hu was unfamiliar with the room, so Xu Ran kept the oil lamp burning in the room all the time, afraid that if he got up in the middle of the night, he might crash into any solid things.

In his mind, Mr. Hu liked this family very much who treated him better than his own son.

The night passed peacefully.

___

Xu Ran went out the next morning to find ten long-term labors. They could start planting the strawberry plants once they were returned. The plants, on the other hand, were returned in batches, and it was calculated that only two carts of plants were returned each day. Two carts of plants were insufficient for the labors to plant for a day at their current rate, so Xu Ran agreed to let them come over one by one in the order of the distances between their homes and Xu Ran's field.

No one would say anything about this method. Anyway, every one of them just needed to finish his family's work.

Xu Ran took the first family and Mr. Hu to the field with a cart of strawberry plants.

They just had to spread the ash in the holes and plant the strawberry because the holes had already been dug. It was now spring, and it rained sometimes, so there was no need to water the plants.

Xu Ran was also aware that he was unfamiliar with practical planting, so he assisted Mr. Hu in guiding the family through the process. The family quickly picked it up after being shown several times. Xu Ran felt safe as well, so he left it to them. And he planned to go about his own business after returning home.

But Mr. Hu was worried about it and wanted to stand over the labors. Xu Ran couldn't dissuade him, so he let him go.

Now Xu Ran was very busy, so he had to cram for the exam of the province since the clock ticked on towards it, not to mention his house which was close to completion.

On the Chinese lunar calendar, today was February 8th. And the bricks had been on the move for many days. All of the bricks were expected to be in place by the Chinese lunar calendar's February 15th. Mr. Hu needed clothes and shoes, so Xu Ran planned to buy some firecrackers and a few books in town. Since he had come to their house who was an old man alone, Xu Ran certainly had to take good care of him!

Liu Tong booked piglets from a family at the village, which could be carried back in the next few days. He just needed to buy some ducklings in the town. It was just time to raise ducks in spring.

It was just that all these things needed money; Xu Ran was so worried!

The potatoes hadn't grown up yet, so they couldn't do it even if they want to dig them now and sell them. They probably have to wait until April to dig them out.

Fortunately, they had enough money saved up from the previous year to last them for a while. When the bamboo shoots grew, they could also make some money. Xu Ran sighed and turned to inform Liu Tong that he would be heading to town.

04.27.21

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

248K 16.1K 142
The Divine woman Draupadi was born as the eternal consort of Panadavas. But we always fail to treasure things which we get easily. Same happened with...
117K 7.7K 38
Jeon Jungkook n Kim Taehyung
125K 4.1K 41
Sequel to 'Merlyn's Fate'. Based on Series 3 of Merlin. When true evil plagues a seemingly hopeless destiny, friendship tethers old ghosts to haunte...
27K 3K 54
❝Because we pray, he affects our lives.❞ Kaila Jorden was now an on fire for God girl, with all her life as good as it can be. She's dating the boy o...