Chapter four: The past never leaves

...It's been a month since school started.
The friendship between Zoe and Sarah has been recovered and now they're are spending a lot of time together and having sleep overs as before.

Rachel's mood doesn't seem like it's getting any better which makes Zoe worry about her even more. The curiosity about what got Rachel depressed never leaves her mind.

But the only strange looking person isn't Rachel, something's wrong with Bella too. She is a short with a long hair, dumb girl. Zoe never liked her and she still doesn't, something in Bella just disgusts her. These days she's not showing up with her boyfriend which is a really rare situation.

Zak is making efforts to talk to Sarah but she is determined that she doesn't want to talk with him even though he just wanted to apologize. Every time he tries talking to her, she ignores him and even avoids seeing him.

And Leo is just living his life, getting good grades and being the perfect son for his parents.

Tonight Sarah is having a sleep over at Zoe's house since her parents are not home for the first time. They decide to make cookies, their favorite sweet. The room is getting filled with the sweet smell of them. As they sit on the couch waiting for them to cook they discuss Rachel and Bella's friendship trying to figure out their reason for being angry with each other.

"Zoe, do you think that Rachel tried to steal Bella's man and that's why they argued?"

"No, no, Omar is not her type even if he was, she still wouldn't do it. Maybe Bella got jealous that Rachel is getting along with him?!"

"I have an idea. Do you want to go to Rachel's house and find out their secret?"

"Why would we go to her house? How will this help us?"

"Don't you think that she doesn't speak in school because she is uncomfortable? Maybe if we go there, she'll speak up. And we'll be 'friendly' with her so she could talk. Maybe she is hiding something in her laptop or maybe we'll find something suspicious, who knows."

"Yeah, that kinda sounds smart. We are doing it. But you have to talk with her first."

While they keep talking Sarah's phone starts ringing, she looks at the screen and sees that it's Zak. She looks at Zoe to see her reaction and asks:

"What should I do? He's calling me every day but I never talk to him."

"Sarah, I think you should pick up this time, looks like he regrets what he did and wants to apologize. Give him a chance."

Sarah's not sure what to do and doesn't pick up until Zoe shouts playfully at her to pick up.

"Hi, Sarah!"

Zak's voice sounds excited. Looks like he wasn't expecting her to pick up again.

"Hi!"

"I've been calling you and finally you picked up."

"What do you want, Zak?"

She asks in hope that the conversation doesn't last long.

"Look Sarah, I'm sorry for the thing that I did at the party. I was so drunk and I didn't know that Zoe had a crush on me. I didn't mean to make you both fight."

"So what?"

"I want to talk in person with you. Is there a possibility for me to take you on a date?"

"I'm sorry, Zak but I can't go out with someone who allegedly likes me but tries to take advantage of me when I am drunk. Do you think that I'll forgive you that easily?!"

"I just want to talk and apologize to you and if you let me I would like to get to know you more."

"Can I trust you, Zak?"

"Of course. I'll do everything to make you trust me, Sarah. I can't ask you to forgive me but at least give me a chance to talk to you, please."

"I need time. I'll tell you later if I'm coming or not."

She wants to trust Zak again but her trust issues kept ruining her past relationships and now she's not sure if she should trust him or not.

"What did he say?" asks Zoe excitingly.

"He said that he wants to talk with me in person."

"And will you go out with him?"

"I don't know, Zoe. I'm not sure."

"I think one date won't hurt anybody. Also, you'll have chance to get to know him more."

"Okay, I'll text him and ask when and where the date will be."

Sarah, texts him and he immediately replies. She feels a little excitement but tries to not show it to Zoe.

Sarah is always like this, shy but brave. She doesn't like showing off her emotions, she thinks that if she does then people will think that she's weak. Her being like this was her father's fault. He left her and her mom when she was 12 years old, she hasn't seen him since then. Her mom kept calling him for 2 years but he never picked up the phone, Sarah even thought that he was dead. When she was 14 years old her mom got divorced, she was trying to look happy in front of her mom but at nights she was crying until she fell asleep. 2 years ago, her dad started calling her and now they have a weird daughter- father relationship. Now she is living with her mom and her grandmother. Thanks to her grandfather's company they never struggled financially. Now Sarah's mom, Sabrina, is in charge of the company. 2 years ago, they bought a beautiful new house with an amazing view, pool and a big backyard. Sarah's been always the strong friend because Zoe was way too emotional.

Zoe was the friend who always gives the best advices and protects the other one. She was the mom of her friendship with Sarah probably because she's been through a lot. When she was 7 years old her dad started beating her mom and 4 years later, she left without Zoe. She lived with her dad for 3 years but then he left her too and she began living in an orphanage. She was crying day and night, she even got depressed at that age but then not even a year later a family wanted to adopt her. She went to their home more than 5 times in one month and she started feeling a little bit happier, 2 months later she was adopted from that family and they started living together. They love her so much, so does Zoe, now she is thankful to them for their love and support. She calls them mom and dad, their names are Sergio and Nicole. Sergio is a successful businessman and Nicole is a teacher, they never had a child and the possibilities for her to get pregnant were too low and that's why they wanted to adopt a child. Now they live in a huge house with 2 floors and a pool, where Zoe learned how to swim. Even though Zoe and Sarah have had hard times, now they're trying to stay strong and not show their weak sides.

Thanks for reading if you liked the story don't forget to vote! ♡

Was Zoe right encouraging Sarah to give Zak a chance?
Do you think that their childhood was too tough on them?

Let us know your opinion in the comments! 🙏