The Gates of Avalon (Part 1)

It was a beautiful day for a walk in the woods, clear and warm with a gentle breeze. Unfortunately, it was ruined by Arthur deciding to use it to hunt small defenceless creatures and have Merlyn carry all the gear while the boys trotted along happily eager to learn from their father. Merlyn due to being loaded up like a packhorse tripped and fell startling Arthur and the twins who turned with mixed emotions of worry and annoyance.

" You really are a total buffoon, aren't you, Merlyn?" Arthur huffed shaking his head.

" What did I do! I'm over here loaded up like a pack mule, I'm so bloody sorry I didn't see the tree root." Merlyn snapped causing Arthur to roll his eyes.

" We're supposed to be hunting. It requires speed, stealth and an agile mind." Arthur snapped back haughtily.

" So you're able to get by on two out of three, then?" Merlyn asked with a mischievous twinkle in her eye, Arthur glared while both boys snickered.

" Father there's a deer through there." Arty whispered point through the underbrush to a pair of antlers sticking up. Arthur smiled and crouched down beckoning Arty to his side, the boy stalked over silently and settled at his father's side waiting for instruction. Arthur gestured for Merlyn to hand him the crossbow, once he took it he held it out for Arty to take. The boy's eyes widened and Arthur smiled bringing him closer while placing his hands in the right spots and lifting it toward the deer.

" Now aim for the heart, take a breath and as you let it out slowly, fire at the last. When you're ready, don't forget to brace your feet for the kickback." Arty nodded at his father's instructions and braced himself holding the crossbow but struggling slightly due to its weight, Arthur smiled faintly and helped him to hold it up. Arty smiled gratefully before focusing on the task, he took a deep breath and checked his aim, as he let his breath out his body stilled and the deer perked up. Arty pulled the trigger in one smooth motion and the bolt was let loose, there was a solid thunk followed by a very human scream of to the left startling the hunting party.

" What was that?" Merlyn whispered startled.

" Quiet." Arthur murmured straining to listen.

" Please! Don't! Help!" Came the shouts of a man and a woman. Arthur and Merlyn glanced at each other, Merlyn held out the sword without a word and Arthur took it and began running.

" You two stay behind me." Merlyn told both boys as she shucked off the excess weapons keeping the bow and quiver before running off toward the screaming. As Arthur approaches an old man lays on the ground as a bandit draws his sword to kill him. A young woman struggles with three other purse-snatchers.

" No, no, I beg you! Mercy!" The old man begs while the man points the sword at the man's throat threateningly.

" Give us all your coin!" The bandit growls.

" Help me! Help me!" The woman begs while struggling against her three captors. Arthur quickly raises his crossbow and shoots one of the robbers. The others immediately turn and charge at Arthur swords drawn while the old man gets up and runs to the terrified woman clutching her tightly. Merlyn arrives shortly after, arrow notched and quickly raises it at fires on a man trying to stab her prince from behind. Arthur makes quick work of the man in front of him while the other makes a run for it, unfortunately for him Merlyn quickly notches another arrow and fires it into his back sending him sprawling dead on the forest floor.

" Nice shot." Arthur smirks at his servant who gives him a mocking bow with a wicked grin.

" You alright? Didn't hurt you?" Arthur asks turning toward the man and woman. The woman slowly stalks forward and drops her hood revealing her striking beauty.