To Kill the King (Part 2)

Arthur was startled awake when he heard the warning bell toll sometime around midnight, he sat up and noticed the blanket wrapped around his shoulder and frowned. Shaking away his sleep-addled haze he quickly rose and lit some candles since the room was dark save for the gentle beams of silvery moonlight and rushed to grab his sword and the keys. As he grabbed the ring he noticed the dungeon key had been replaced and smiled before hooking it on his belt and rushing down to the council chambers to find a guard speaking to the king.

"Sire, five of the guards were knocked unconscious and the prisoner is nowhere to be found, we are currently searching the citadel." The guard informed the King who waved the guard away.

"He's just proved his guilt. You will kill him on sight." Uther orders Arthur.

"Sire, how long have the guards been unconscious? If he isn't in the castle he may have already escaped the city." Arthur replied stalling just incase.

"I don't care where he is as long as he is found! He will hang if it's the last thing I do." Uther snarls turning on Arthur who keeps his face neutral and bows taking a few steps back.

Just as Arthur turns to leave Morgana bursts into the council chambers shaking off the guards.

"You can't kill an innocent man or you will have blood on your hands, Uther Pendragon! Blood that will never wash off!" Morgana roars at the King, Arthur wisely sidesteps out of her way.

"May I remind you that you're speaking to your King." Uther replies coldly.

"May I remind you that a king is wise and just. You are neither. You rule only with the sword." Morgana sneers and Arthur draws a sharp breath; eyes wide. He had never seen her this angry at anything and it truly showed how much she cared for her maidservant's happiness.

"You know nothing of what it means to be King. The fate of Camelot rests in my hands. It's my responsibility to protect the people of this land from its enemies." Uther reminds her, his face like granite.

"Then the kingdom is doomed! For one by one, you make enemies of us all!" Morgana shrieks and Arthur grabs her arm giving her a meaningful glare.

"You speak treason, Morgana." Arthur reminds her tersely.

Morgana rips her arm from his grip with a growl. "Only a mad man hears the truth as treason."

"Take care, child, or I'll have you restrained." Uther points at her in warning.

"You just try." She spits baring her teeth in challenge and Arthur shakes his head as Uther calls the guards to take Morgana down to the dungeons.

"Sire please, she's just upset." Arthur tries to reason with the King who merely turns to him with a cold stare.

"No Arthur, she must be taught a lesson if she is going to continue to defy me." Uther growls. The guards grab Morgana who kicks and screams while hurling curses at the king as she is dragged from the room and toward the dungeons with the King and Prince following. Arthur follows a few paces behind the King and nearly jumps out of his skin when Rowan slips up beside him and grabs his hand.

'Father, Tom is out of the city and heading east to Ealdor. He has a good three-hour head start, all that needs to be done is to keep any search parties looking in the wrong direction for at least two days.' Rowan's voice spoke quietly in his mind sending a shiver down his spine at the oddness of having somebody speak directly into your brain. Arthur nods and gives the boy's hand a squeeze before letting go and watching him drift down another hall and disappear into the shadows leaving him standing in the middle of the hall staring in awe. Arthur is reminded of what he was doing when Morgana's screams and curses break him out of his revere and he hurries to catch up just as she is shackled to the wall of the dungeon.