Valiant (Part 3)

The next morning Valiant is escorted through the Square to the Council Chamber of Doom. Gaius is treating Sir Ewan in the Physician's Chambers when Ewan wakes.

" Welcome back." Gaius said kindly.

" There was a snake on his shield. It came alive." Ewan muttered in a daze.

"You're weak. But the snake's venom has been purged from your system." Gaius explains.

"I must warn Arthur." Ewan tries to rise and Gaius pushes him back down.

"Arthur already knows. He's requested an audience with the King. Now, they'll want to talk to you. Rest. You'll need your strength. I need to fetch more herbs. I'll be right back. Rowan! Arthur! Please keep and eye on Sir Ewan till I get back." Gaius calls before leaving. Both boys walk into the chambers and sit by the knight who has already fallen asleep and pick up some nearby books to read. Not a few minutes later they both hear a distinct hiss and straitened, carefully scanning the room the begin walking around trying to find the source of the noise. Suddenly there is a strangled cry from Ewan and they both whirl to see the snake with its fangs in the mans throat.

"NO!" Both boys scream. Arthur grabs a near by knife and Rowan picks up a heavy book, the snake turns towards them and goes for Rowan who barley blocked a strike with the book before the snake strikes again wrapping around his throat and squeezing. Rowan begins to choke falling to the ground while gripping the snakes head to keep it from striking.

"Brother hold it out strait, quick!" Arthur shouts lifting the knife, Rowan holds the snakes head out and grips it lower down keeping it horizontal. Arthur steps forward lifts the knife and brings it down hard cutting it in half, the snakes body goes slack splattering blood all over his face and shirt.Rowan throws the head away yanking the body from around his neck. He lays on his side gulping down air greedily and his brother rushes to his side checking that he's okay.

"Ewan... Check him..." Rowan coughs and Arthur nods running to check the knights pulse. His shoulders slump when he realises that there is none and he turns kicking a nearby stool in frustration.

"He's dead, what in the goddess name are we going to do now?!" Arthur growls Rowan sits up and looks at the butchered body of the snake,

" We need...(cough, cough) to tell mother, grab the snake." Rowan's voice crackled as he tried to speak, Arthur nodded and picked up the two halves carefully keeping the head away from him. Both boys ran from the Physician's chambers toward the chamber of doom hoping they weren't too late.

Inside the council chambers the doors open to revel Uther,

" Why have you summoned the court?"

" I believe Knight Valiant is using a magic shield to cheat in the tournament." Arthur stands tall, unwavering and Merlyn bites her nails in worry.

" Valiant, what do you have to say to this?" Uther asks turning toward said knight who is glaring daggers at Merlyn.

" My Lord, this is ridiculous. I've never used magic. Does your son have any evidence to support this outrageous accusation?" Valiant's tone was cock-sure and it sent a spike of anxiety through Merlyn.

" Do you have evidence?" Uther demand turning to his son.

" I do." Arthur motions for Merlyn to come forward, Merlyn hands Uther the snake head and Uther studies it a moment before turning to Valiant.

" Let me see this shield." Valiant holds up the shield for the king to inspect.

" Don't let him get too close." Merlyn frantically whispers to Arthur who nods in acknowledgement.