Excalibur (Part 1)

It was a beautiful spring night in Camelot and there was a low buzz of excitement for the Prince's coming of age ceremony tomorrow. Rowan was hard at work finishing the last details of the small portrait he had made as a gift for his father while his mother sat with a gold amulet muttering enchantments of protection and healing, his brother was down in the kitchens making a small cake which he had asked Rowan to decorate the next morning in exchange for making a beautifully carved frame for the painting he was just about finished.

Rowan had just finished the last details and set the painting aside to dry overnight when he felt his magic suddenly coil through his veins agitated. He frowned and closed his eyes concentrating on what was upsetting his magic, his magic drifted through the halls like a phantom wind following the wrongness he suddenly felt. He followed it down into the burial vaults and blanched when he beheld Nimueh standing over a tomb smiling.

"Gehíere mé' wan cniht áwæce. Beo strangra ond steacra for brecþ wáne. úprærest wærc, Uther Pendragon." She chanted causing a shiver to run up Rowan's spine as the dark magic rose, filled with hate and anger as the tomb lid split and a gauntlet-ed hand broke through. Rowan gasped reeling himself back in and collapsed on the floor startling his mother.

"Rowan!" Merlyn cried and ran to her son's side, she turned him over and found blood coming from his nose and he seemed dazed.

"Rowan sweetheart, what happened?" Merlyn asked grabbing a cloth and stanching the blood by tipping his head back.

"Nimueh..." He murmured causing Merlyn to freeze.

"Nimueh? What about her? Did she hurt you?" Merlyn panicked and Rowan let out a low moan before sitting up and leaning against her taking over holding the cloth.

"She was in the Burial Vaults... She raised something down there." He whispered, voice slightly slurred from the backlash of dark magic.

At that moment Arty burst through the door cover in flour and cake batter looking worried.

"Brother are you okay? Did you feel that?" Rowan nodded to his brother who rushed to his side. "Here let me take a look." Arty spoke gently, Rowan pulled the cloth away and more blood trickled out so Arty gently placed his fingers either side of his nose and whispered an incantation; stopping the blood and clearing his dizziness.

"Thanks." He murmured, Rowan, lent forward and took a whiff of the cake mix on his clothes. "You smell like a bakery."

Arty chuckled, "Yeah the cake's done and cooling so you just need to decorate it tomorrow after I make the icing; if you're up for it of course." Rowan nodded before slowly getting to his feet.

"Right then, both of you off to bed. I'll go check the Burial Vaults." Both boys nodded while Merlyn grabbed a few daggers and slipped out the door.

Rowan and Arty trudged up to the backroom and quickly changed into their nightclothes before laying back to back in the small cot. Rowan smiled; almost as soon as his brothers head hit the pillow he was snoring while Rowan lay awake turning over the evening's events in his mind until his eyes began closing and he slipped into a dreamless slumber.

 Rowan smiled; almost as soon as his brothers head hit the pillow he was snoring while Rowan lay awake turning over the evening's events in his mind until his eyes began closing and he slipped into a dreamless slumber