Children of the Sun and Moon

3rd Person POV

It had been a few weeks since Arthur left and Merlyn was aching to see and touch him again, but all she had left was the red neckerchief he had given her and the ghost of his kisses. It was the end of the first month of Winter and the fields were filled with snow, Merlyn's magic longed to dance with the fluttering snowflakes as she split the wood out front of her home. She had been working for a short while when she felt a pang of nausea in her stomach and paused until it passed then began gathering the wood and lugging into the hut for the cold night ahead. Hunith had just placed a warm broth on the table as Merlyn entered and the scent seemed strangely stronger than usual. Merlyn quickly put away the wood by the hearth and sat down eagerly for a warm meal, alas the moment the scent of the meat brushed Merlyn's nose the nausea returned in full force. Slamming her hand over her mouth she rushed to the nearest bucket and hurled what little food from lunch was left in her stomach, seeing this Hunith rushed to her side and rubbed soothing circles on her back till the nausea passed.

"Merlyn my girl what's the matter?" Hunith asked panic edging her voice.

" I don't know, I sat down to eat and the smell of the stew was so strong that I suddenly felt really sick." Merlyn responded turning to sit with her back against the wall placing her head between her knees.

"The smell?... Merlyn, have you been feeling tired lately?" Merlyn lifted her head and stared at Hunith for a moment.

"Yeah, it's like no matter how long I sleep I feel tired all day. Why mother, am I coming down with something?" Merlyn began growing more concerned when Hunith didn't answer for a moment.

"Have you gained any weight recently despite our rather slim diet?" Merlyn frowned at this and quickly got to her feet taking off her jacket and thin tunic exposing her slim frame. Looking down at her usually flat stomach there was a noticeable albeit small bump that had formed, Merlyn ran a hand over the bump and her magic jumped in response. Hunith reached out and grabbed Merlyn's shoulders turning her toward Hunith.

" My girl, I need you to tell me the absolute truth, have you been with anyone recently?" Hunith's face was a mask of seriousness and Merlyn swallowed in fear.

" Yes..." The word was barely above a whisper. Hunith stepped back shocked, Merlyn quickly placed her shirt back on and stood there guilt written in every line of her body.

"Who was it? One of those brutes that bully you? Will?" Anger was written in the lines of Huniths face at the thought of someone touching her little bird like that before she had fully matured into a woman, Merlyn shook her head but didn't give a name. Hunith studied her daughter for a moment then the sudden realisation hit,

"YOU SLEPT WITH THE KNIGHT OF CAMELOT!" Hunith barked out in horror, Merlyn flinched at her mother's outburst. "Did he force you? Threaten you?" Hunith asked grabbing Merlyn's shoulders again forcing her to look her in the eye.

"N-no mother, I wanted to, I loved him... I still do..." Hunith gaped at her daughter's response.

"You are a child Merlyn! You are not yet of age, having a child while you're still so young could kill you!" Hunith turned away trying to hold back her tears, after a few calming breaths she turned back to her stricken daughter.

"I'm sorry mother, I'm so sorry...." Merlyn had begun to cry out of fear and guilt, Hunith for the moment abandoned her anger and pulled her daughter in for a hug petting her hair and providing comfort.

" It's alright my girl, we'll figure it out together like always." Merlyn held her mother tighter and stifled her sobs in her shoulder. The rest of the night was spent with Hunith trying to calm her daughter and eat the stew which had cooled and no longer held any appeal.