The Poisoned Chalice (Part 2)

Arthur follows the King down the hall begging him to reconsider.

" What's the point of having people to taste for you if you're going to get yourself killed anyway?" Uther sighed without emotion continuing his clipped pace.

" I won't fail, no matter what you think." Arthur yelled as his anger began to rise at his own fathers coldness toward those he believes to be of peasant blood.

" Arthur, you are my only son and heir. I can't risk losing you for the sake of a child of some serving girl." Uther stops and fixes his son with a stern gaze. 

" Oh, because his life's worthless?" Arthur demanded.

" No, because it's worth less than yours." Anger boiled in Arthur's blood and he couldn't help but wonder if he knew who the child was would he have some compassion.

" I can save him. Let me take some men." Arthur tried to keep his anger in check but Uther seemed to sense it anyway.

" No." Arthur heart stopped at his fathers lack of empathy and steeled himself.

" We'll find the antidote and bring it back." Arthur said monotonously.

" No." Uther snapped, anger filling his voice.

" I don't give a damn father, I will not let an innocent child die in my place. I'm going whether you like you like it or not." Arthur had straitened his spine and glared down at his father coolly. Uther sensed this and stared back at his son in shock before measuring up. 

" One day I will be dead and Camelot will need a king. I'm not going to let you jeopardise the future of this kingdom over some fool's errand." Uther scowled as his son who remained stoic and unbending.

" It's not a fool's errand. Gaius says that if we can get the antidote..." Arthur began.

" Oh, Gaius says? That's exactly what makes it so." Uther scoffed at his son who had begun to glower.

" Please, Father. He saved my life. I can't stand by and watch him die." Arthur's voice broke slightly and Uther grew suspicious.

" Then don't look. This boy won't be the last to die on your behalf. You're going to be King. It's something you'll have to get used to."  Uther turned away and Arthur lowered his head to hide the murder in his eyes.

"I can't accept that, I won't. You can't stop me." Arthur swiftly turned on his heel and marched back down the corridor toward his chambers.

" Damn it, Arthur, that's an end to it! You're not leaving this castle tonight." Uther yelled after him but Arthur simply ignored him, he had a son to save and he wasn't gonna let his father stop him.

Arthur storms in, tosses his sword onto the table and begins packing a travel bag keeping it light to favour speed over practicality. 

" Say what you like about the food, but you can't beat our feast for entertainment." Arthur whirled to find Morgana standing in the door way leaning on the frame with a smirk on her lips.

" Morgana, I'm sorry, I should have made sure you were alright." Arthur mumbled politely while packing the bag.

" Disappointed actually. I was looking forward to clumping a couple around the head with a ladle." Morgana mused idly watching Arthur's every move.

" I'm sure the guards could have handled Bayard and his men."  Arthur closed the draw in front of him and grabbed the bag turning to Morgana who now stood at the head of the table.

" Yeah, but why let the boys have all the fun?" Morgana grinned showing all of her strait white teeth.

" Morgana, you shouldn't get involved. It's dangerous." Arthur scolded halfheartedly stuffing some fruit in his pack.