The Moment of Truth (Part 1)

The twins had the morning off and were in the lower town collecting water from the well and chatting away happily when Rowan suddenly went rigid and turned to scan the crowd.

"Grandma?" He said in disbelief before running from his brothers side up to Hunith who was walking around confused in the lower town.

Arty grabbed the bucket and hurried after him while both boys called out to her, Hunith turned and saw them running toward her and gave them a wide smile.

"Boys!" She laughed as Rowan practically threw himself into arms with Arty not far behind.

Both boys pulled back to smile up at her when Arty's smile faltered seeing the angry purple bruise on the side of her face. "Grandma, what happened? Who did this to you?!" She smiled sadly a took his small hand from her face giving it a small kiss.

"Don't worry about me, where is your mother?"

"She's attending the Prince," Rowan told her and Hunith nodded before smiling. "I'll take you to Gaius, brother you go and get mum." Arty nodded to his brother and gave Hunith a quick kiss before running off to find his mother.

He checked the training field first, then the stables before heading into the castle dodging servants as he made his way quickly to the Prince's chambers hoping he wasn't in a meeting. He knocked and waited for his father to bid him entry, at his father muffled confirmation he reached up to open the door and stepped inside. Thankfully his mother was there straightening the bedding while his father sat going through the many documents and papers stacked on his desk.

Arthur looked up and smiled, his eyes softening at the sight of his son."Ah, son, what brings you here today."

Arty bowed politely, "I have come to fetch mother if she isn't too busy." Merlyn looked up at him and raised a brow.

"What did you do this time?" Merlyn asks with an exasperated sigh.

"What? Nothing!" He cried indignantly while Arthur burst out laughing from his desk, Arty shot him a dirty look as the Prince tried to reign in his chortling.

"IF you must know, Rowan and I meet Grandma in town. She's waiting in Gaius's chambers." Arty told them snarkily crossing his arms, the amused smile was immediately gone and replaced with a look of worry.

"Is she alright?" Arty hesitated and that was all Merlyn need for her to bow to Arthur and hurry out without a word leaving behind a stunned Prince. Arty looked between his father and where his mother had left before giving the Prince a strained smile and polite bow and hurried out after his mother. He made it back to the Physician's chambers just after his mother to see them hugging and exchanging pleasantries.

"Mother, what happened?" Merlyn asked sitting her down at the table.

"Kanen, he is a raider who keeps taking our harvest and barley leaving any for the rest of us. Winter is almost upon us and we have no food and too many hungry mouths. I tried to stop him and he struck me, I came here to asked the King for aid." Hunith explained while Merlyn gently rubbed her back in comfort before Merlyn could say a word someone else spoke up.

"I can get you an audience with the King, besides I owe you for my leg." They all turned to see Arthur entered closing the door behind him, he turned back toward them and Hunith gasped shooting to her feet.

"You." She growled, Arthur blinked in surprise at Huniths tone before he was slapped soundly causing his head to snap to the side.

"You bastard, first you sleep with my daughter and get her pregnant! Then you leave and force her to suffer alone through it!" Hunith snarled causing Arthur to back up to the door while Merlyn and the twins looked shocked at Hunith's outburst. "And you have the nerve to even associate with my daughter after what you did and work her like a dog!" Arthur bowed his head in shame as Hunith continued shouting at him until Merlyn finally stood and as usual came to her Prince's rescue.