Le Morte d'Arthur (Part 2)

Once she had the tip from the dragon Merlyn ran back to the Physician's chambers and for the second time that day nearly gave Gaius a heart attack.

"Gods Merlyn do you ever come through a door quietly?" Gaius chastised while holding his chest. Merlyn ignores him and runs to her room grabbing her bag she keeps packed for if she needs to leave in a hurry noticing that Arty was no longer in bed. She came back to the main room and grabbed as much food as she could carry.

Gaius sighed before handing her a bottle. "Merlyn, I need your help. You must get this to Arthur to ease his passing." He told her sadly and Merlyn glared at him

"No. We have to save him." She said putting the bottle on the table and closing her bag.

"You've already tried." He said gently.

"The beast comes from the Old Religion. The cure must come from there as well." Merlyn began pulling the bag over her shoulder and picking up the bow and quiver Arthur had gifted her before continuing. "The dragon told me that the Old Religion is still alive, and there is an island beyond the White Mountains..."

"No!" Gaius cried grabbing her arms stopping her.

"The Isle of the Blessed...You know it?" Merlyn asked curiously.

Gaius sighed and took a step back fixing her with a sad gaze. "It was said to be the centre of the Old Religion, the focus of its power."

"Why did you keep this from me?" Merlyn growled.

"Because it was too dangerous, Merlyn."

"It's our only chance! I have to find it!" Merlyn cried feeling the stress of the day beginning to catch up.

"And once you are there, what will you ask?" Gaius asked her seriously.

Merlyn met his gaze, standing tall. "For Arthur to be saved." 

"The Questing Beast chose Arthur. That means the Old Religion has decided his fate."

"Then I will convince them to change their minds!" She barked furiously before turning to the door.

"It is not that simple! The High Priests have the power to mirror life and death, but there will be a price to pay. They will demand a life in return. Merlyn, please, I beg of you." Gaius begged as she stood before the door with her hand on the handle

Merlyn sighed before looking to Gaius; her face set with determination and grim resolve. "I'm sorry, Gaius. Whatever the price is, I will pay it gladly."

---

Merlyn decided to check Arthur before she left and was pleasantly surprised to find the twins curled up on either side of him on the bed, she entered quietly and left her bag and weapons by the door before going and sitting by her fiance's side and taking his hand in hers. She tenderly kissed the gold dragon ring on his hand and gently brushed his damp hair from his sweaty brow.

"He's not gonna make it, is he?" Arty's voice was thick from crying and Merlyn quickly pulled him to her as he burst into tears.

"Shh, my love. Everything is going to be okay, the dragon gave me a way to save him." She whispered into his hair, slowly Arty's sobs turned into small hiccups and he pulled back to speak to her.

"How?" 

Merlyn studied her son for a moment before smiling gently. "I'm going to the Isle of the Blessed to ask the gods to save him." Merlyn didn't like lying to her children but she didn't want to worry them.

"I'm coming with you." Rowan spoke from where he sat on Arthur's other side.

Merlyn shook her head. "No, my son. I need you to stay here, it's too dangerous."