Summer Solstice (Part 1)

The week of midsummer was dawning and the castle was abuzz with preparations for the upcoming festival and feast to be held over three days. Due to the coming of the longest day and shortest night the twins had been edgy and their magic unpredictable as their name day drew near as their power peaked on that day in particular. Merlyn had understandably been concerned that their magic may act out on the day itself so she decided it would be best for them to leave Camelot for the three days over midsummer and perhaps visit the druids gathering in the forests of Balor for the celebrations at the Great Stones of Nemeton, strangely though the Stones were in Camelot's territory the Camelot patrols rarely went beyond the mountains of Isgaard probably due to the threat of powerful magical creatures like the Cockatrice. 

Merlyn was finishing up her part in helping with the decorations when she realised the time and raced through the castle knowing Arthur was going to be pissed that she was late with his lunch, especially since he would have just finished training. She raced into the kitchens and snatched up his plate with a quick thank you and raced back out dodging servants and guards; doing her best to keep the food on the plate. She made it to his door and opened it quickly to find her Prince sitting at the dining table looking thunderous and her smile quickly fell.

"The bell for midday tolled two candle marks ago Merlyn." Arthur growled as Merlyn shut the door and rolled her eyes.

"My apologies, Your Royal Pratness." Merlyn huffed placing his lunch down and filling his goblet.

"I could have you in the stocks for that." Arthur grumbled as he tucked into his food.

"But you won't because you love me." Merlyn teased kissing his cheek and receiving an indignant huff signalling that he was in a better mood now that he had food in his belly. Merlyn cleaned up the armour he had left on the dining table before sitting in the chair to Arthur's right and wringing her hands nervously.

"Arthur." She began, Arthur looked up from his now barren plate and took note of his servant's slight nerves.

"Yes?"

Merlyn sighed and just figured she'd get it over with. "Arthur, could I have the rest of the week off?"

Arthur blinked in shock. "Why? Are you unwell?" He asked worriedly.

Merlyn smiled faintly at the concern in his voice and shook her head. "No, I want to take the boys away from Camelot for midsummer." She told him and Arthur frowned.

"Why? Isn't the solstice their Name Day? Why do you need to leave?" Arthur asked slightly concerned.

"Their magic has been acting out coming up to the day and I just think they should be away from the city just in case something happens." Before Arthur could ask Merlyn continued. "During midsummer, Arty and Rowan's power peaks and they have a very difficult time hiding it so I was going to take them to the Stones of Nemeton for the druid celebrations to help them to have an outlet for their power because bottling it up so far is only making it worse and causing them to become agitated." Merlyn explained and Arthur looked surprised for a moment then understanding lit his features.

"That would explain why they were both so cranky today, especially Rowan. Arty seemed like he had too much energy but was in a foul mood anyway whereas his brother just seemed exhausted." Arthur mused taking a drink and Merlyn smiled sadly.

"Yes well, Arty's powers are in line with the sun so during the day he's overflowing with power and at night he's exhausted and drained whereas Rowan is the opposite, powerful at night and drained during the day. They are fine most of the year, it's just around times of great significance: Beltain, Summer and winter solstice as well as Samhain, their magic acts up if they don't use it. I'm older so I can control it but even my magic is like an excited dog on a leash of which I need to keep a firm grip or gods know what would happen." Merlyn chuckled lightly and Arthur looked at her with pity.