Chapter 5: Thoughts on My First Wife And Those Love Poems About Her

I titled this collection of poems and the book as a whole "What Really Matters" and it made sense to me to name it as such. The word "really" implies something actually existing in reality. The word "matter" implies something of importance. This book contains, among other things, love poems and the choice of this title points to a reality that I have discovered about what really matters to me or what matters most to me.

Love is an experience as well as a feeling and it causes us to act in a certain way (or we might say that love reflects how we are morally inspired to act, e.g., for some, it's a commandment).

Love as a "discovery" implies that it is a destination and not a journey - a destination that we stumble upon.

I found love briefly with Celta and yet she died so suddenly and at such a young age. I was devastated. I didn't think I would feel or experience love again. Then I met Lynn in 1992. We fell madly, and passionately in love. There are poems in here about that love. That relationship came to an end in 2000 but it was epic in nature. I wanted to tell the story to all those who would ever follow me in the later generations...

I had come out of my shell in the 1990s and I had wanted to share with everyone how special I felt that Lynn was and how lucky I was to know that she chose me out of all the people in the world. I was a shy person by nature but I found myself wanting to get the attention of others and say "I am in love and I want to tell you about this."

I remember, for example, I made this declaration of my love when I bought flowers for Lynn around Valentine's Day and at jewelry shops when I did the same thing for that holiday or another similar holiday or birthday. I wasn't that person I once was who was once a wallflower, I was standing ten feet tall and wanting to be noticed.

 I wasn't that person I once was who was once a wallflower, I was standing ten feet tall and wanting to be noticed

In its purest form love is a place that creates a sense of tranquility and serenity at its core. Even during moments of intense emotions - passions - we do not pursue a high that we once had and cannot reach again... we are not, for example, the person who is addicted to crack cocaine chasing that high that we can never find again.

That would be like implying that once we discover an awe-inspiring (beautiful) sunrise we need a more beautiful sunrise to feel that same sense of awe.

Love is distinguished from being under the influence of an addiction, which is momentary and transitory. 

Sex, in itself, is not necessarily about love and can be mistaken for such. 

I was able to find love after the loss of that relationship. I met Elnaz Rezaei Ghalechi (Elee) and we got married. Tragically that relationship ended in divorce. 

Love is also like beauty in the sense that it's best experienced as opposed to merely being stated like some universal truth or logical understanding of the world as it is.   

Now, when I speak of love, I am not limiting my discussion to romantic love or intimate physical love. We can love a friend. 

Much of what I am describing in this book is described in greater detail in other books where I employ the prose form. The idea of writing creative non-fiction stories seems like a new discovery of mine and you, dear reader, can expect more of this. 

A painting is said to tell a story but not like a novel or a piece of creative non-fiction. 

A poem or a song similarly inspires us with feelings of familiarity. 

To give you a sense of what to expect later in this book and as I think about these poems in this book, I am remembering the words from the song "In A New York Minute" by Don Henley. It goes like this...

"Harry got up
Dressed all in black
Went down to the station
And he never came back
They found his clothing
Scattered somewhere down the track
And he won't be down on Wall Street
in the morning

He had a home
The love of a girl"

Okay, when I hear this, I imagine that Harry had a wife, and something happened... he got lost... Did he commit suicide? Or was it a tragic accident? I don't know these things, but I can relate in some way, and I want to know more.

If you want to know more about the experiences and events that inspired this book of poetry, please check out my other books on Wattpad and on Amazon. You can find my author page on Amazon at https://amazon.com/author/brucewhealton

My autobiography "Memoirs of a Healer: Autobiography of Bruce Whealton" can also be found on Wattpad at https://brucewhealton.com/autobiography where you can read it for free.

Then there is the next book that I wrote entitled "Overcoming Shyness & Loving Lynn - A Memoir." Obviously, that is primarily about Lynn and my love for her but it's also about overcoming shyness and/or social phobia.

It's important to note that I had started this collection of poems before I met my second wife, Elee (Elnaz Rezaei Ghalechi). So, that's why more poems are about my first wife, Lynn Denise Krupey.