Chapter 14: Dreamlike Visions

In this dreamlike vision
I lay in her lap,
while her hair flows in the gentle wind,
On the beach.

Is this real?
I reach up to touch her
but she is gone... gone... gone
and I am laying on the sand.

Looking skyward I see her
in a vision.
She searches for me,
calling my name, saying,
"I am his and he is mine."

I try to get back
to find her
and that infinite beach
where we would walk hand-in-hand
or lay on the sand
holding each other
together
forever.

The vision -
the dream -
(incomplete)
the love
never ends...

the dream never 
ends.

Notes on the poem:  This poem was read at a poetry reading in Wilmington

Notes on the poem:  This poem was read at a poetry reading in Wilmington.  I read this poem the first time as an expression of my eternal love for Lynn. I wanted to proclaim a love that was biblical in nature. I had no idea at the time that things would change later. 

Yet if you think about the inspiration for this poem there is a sense of two people looking for one another and feeling lost or unable to find one another. There is another inspiration for this poem that I need to include to fully appreciate where I am going with this line of thinking. 

I think I was thinking of this one when I wrote the poem "I Wrote A Love Poem Once" which appears earlier in this book. In that poem, I can't seem to remember how the poem went. Now, obviously, the poem has come back to me. 

I first read this at the weekly poetry readings at the Coastline Convention Center in Wilmington overlooking the Cape Fear River.  My friend Thomas Childs who wrote the introduction to this collection was probably there when I read this poem the first time.  

I wanted to surprise Lynn with the poem and declare my love at the same time. 

It was a Sunday in late May of 1994, nearly two years after we started seeing each other. The sun was sinking low, and the room was getting slightly dark. 

There was a slightly dim light up front near the podium. The poem was inspired by a story from the old testament and a song by the Electric Prunes called "I Had Too Much To Dream (Last Night)."

I was still a Christian back then. I am not a believer now. I am choosing the word "believer" carefully because the song was heard by me when I watched a horror story called "The Believers." 

Lynn had a belief in supernatural things, but she was not Christian. 

Anyway, I thought the title was somewhat unoriginal. "Dream-like Visions from the Song of Songs." "The Song of Songs" is called "The Song of Solomon" by Protestants. I heard the song "I Had Too Much To Dream" when I was watching a movie called "The Believers." 

There is little that is more magical than being able to get up in front of a room of people and declare your undying love for another person. I could feel the driving power of the song...