22. Fruit's Out of the Bag

Tyra

I fled on my own volition and came running right back on my own too. I was in over my head, the pain stabbing into each of my pores and screaming in my head- get the fruit, get the fruit, get the fruit- wasn't something I wanted to deal with alone. Not when all of it could be expelled the moment he wrapped me up in his arms. Like magic.

"It is magic," Jett said when I threw myself back at him and introductions were made all around. He picked me back up effortlessly, seeming unperturbed with having to hold me. "A mate bond."

And that's how I ended up getting carried off not in the arms of a prince on a white horse but by a scowling tattooed giant.

Under normal circumstances, I would've considered it perfect.

Except I didn't believe in soul mates.

And even if I did I couldn't stay with him, not unless he had a store of what I needed- which I highly doubted. As soon as this pain went away I was going to hightail it back to Faerie.

Besides, that old hag said the he'd ruin me...or was it the other way around? I couldn't remember much of the night anymore, my memories were fractured by the chaotic high caused by consuming so much fruit at once. Plus thinking straight was nearly impossible with how close Jett was to me, and the fact that he smelled good enough to lick wasn't helping my brain cells much either.

I squinted up at his handsome face, the arms I had around his neck tightening as he sat on the sofa with me on his lap. "Why do you smell like candy, Jett?" I asked, unable to stop myself.

The muscles in his neck tensed, his gaze flickering to my lips before moving away. He didn't answer me, much to my irritation.

"You like candy, Tyra," Dad pointed out.

I glared at him. I think he was drooling over Jett even more than I was, and his approval of the smoking hot man didn't shock me in the least. Dad was always saying no male was good enough for me and even a fae prince was barely sufficient. But Jett was treating me like I was a princess- taking off his own black sweater and bundling me up in it (smelled distractingly sweet like him too), asking Ember to please get me something warm while he cradled me in his arms like I was a treasure- and I guess that was it for my dad. Not good for me, I didn't want him approving of Jett.

"I like Prince Thorne more than candy," I told my dad.

That shook him out of his starry-eyed gaze. His lips curled in disgust. "That little shit did nothing to protect you when Light set those fae on you. You'll have nothing to do with him from now on."

I clenched my teeth. "You don't get to decide that."

His stubborn expression faltered at that. Although he'd always told me to stay silent in the presence of other fae for my safety, he and Mom have always listened to my opinions with respect and- in case of my dancing- reluctant support. He gripped his large hands on his knees now, pointy ears twitching. "Are you in love with Thorne?"

Yes. The lie was on the tip of my tongue, ready to shoot out right away because Jett and his magic 'mate bond' or whatever mojo he was working only kept the pain at bay. The craving for more of the fruit was still there, no longer a pressing need but lurking nonetheless. Waiting to pounce soon. I needed to lie, needed to do everything possible to sate the craving.

"Thorne is her supplier," Jett said.

"Su-supplier?" I sputtered.

Jett's arms tightened, bringing me closer to the firm muscles that were unmistakable even under the layer of clothing. Concentrate on the conversation. "I saw some flashes of Tyra's memories while she was out cold, Thorne was going to lure her into marrying him with the promise of more fruit. She's addicted to it."