34. Red Smurf

Tyra

Silence fell on the room like a heavy cloak and the place suddenly felt more like a haunted forest rather than a kitchen. Jett handed over the apple he'd carefully peeled and sliced for me. I thanked him with a smile although I had no intention of eating. My stomach was empty, but the kind of empty that said it would throw out anything I tried to ingest- apples very much included.

Kane had called a fae contact and requested they escort my parents to another court where they could escape Light's wrath, yet I still felt uneasy. Seeing them would be the only way to quiet the unrest, hearing their familiar voices would be the only way to settle my churning stomach. But that was impossible at the moment so I'd just have to believe Jett when he said they'd would be okay.

For now, patience was my only choice.

I shifted my attention back to the game, right on time for the first accusation.

"Ember is the mafia," Darius declared, pointing a finger at Ember who sat on the other side of him.

"Why?" Ember asked.

"Haven't you watched Tom and Jerry? The devil is always red. You're red, so you're obviously the bad guy. Let's kill her guys."

"If you kill her, I'm killing you," Kane threatened.

"What if she's really the mafia?" Victor asked.

"If she wins and you lose, you don't get to order any of us around," Darius added.

Kane lifted a brow. "I'm the alpha, I can order you around whenever I want."

"Can you order Ember around?" Victor asked with a grin.

Kane glanced down at Ember...pressed his lips into a thin line. He raised his hand. "I vote we kill Ember."

Ember gaped at Kane. "Seriously?"

Kane turned his head the other way, suddenly very intrigued by a wall.

"If we're talking about appearances, shouldn't Helen be chosen as the mafia?" Thomas said quietly.

Helen's head jerked in his direction and Darius burst out laughing. "Totally right, my man. I vote we kill Helen off this round."

I popped a sliced apple into my mouth, savoring the sweet-sour taste as Mitsuki told everyone to vote for either Ember or Helen to be killed.

Ember: 1 vote.

Helen: 5 votes.

Helen was the only one who voted for Ember. I ate two more apple slices.

Mitsuki stated gravely, "Innocent civilian Helen has been killed. Please take a seat at the kitchen counter."

"Oops," Darius snickered.

Helen kicked him on the shin but obediently followed Mitsuki's instructions. When she was seated Mitsuki asked everyone to lower their heads again.

"Only the mafias should lift their heads," Mitsuki said.

Kane and Ember slowly raised their heads a bit, caught sight of each other and grinned.

I took the glass of milk Jett handed me and drained half of it.

"You two should choose a person to kill," Mitsuki said.

"Victor," Ember mouthed.

Kane nodded.

"Okay, the mafias can lower their heads again." Once the two were back down Mitsuki continued, "The doctor should raise their head and choose a random person to save."