27. Reverse the Mask

Ember

Identity. That was the topic of our exam this semester. It was an ongoing project that we were expected to work on both inside and outside the classroom, due by the end of the term and worth seventy-percent of our grade.

And the reason why Victor was calling me his muse.

"You're serious about this," I said to him, flipping through the countless pictures he had of me. He hadn't taken all of them, he'd gotten most from other people. Kane's interest in me had made me into an interesting subject apparently.

"I'm always serious about my grades," he replied. "I used to get called a geek all the time in high school."

I took in a deep breath. "Why did you choose me for your project?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

There was no sarcasm in his question, yet I still couldn't make sense of his reason. "I'm serious." I said tightly.

Victor picked up two pictures, one of me in my old wolf mask and the other of me huddled in the back of a classroom, braids hiding my face while I bit nervously on a pencil. "Are you talking about your two supposedly contrasting personalities?"

I wrinkled my nose. "Supposedly?"

"I have a theory about these," he brought the pictures up and down repeatedly, head moving from side to side with the movement. I smiled, his energetic nature reminded me of Ian. I had a feeling they'd get along well if they met. "You have a hard time speaking up for yourself but no trouble at all fighting behind a mask. I'm assuming it's because the anonymity of the mask gives you courage- but well, how about doing it the other way around?"

I shifted in my seat. "The other way around?"

"Next time someone tries to attack or bully you, put a mask on them instead."

"Put a mask on them," I echoed.

He nodded. "Figuratively speaking. Pretend like their words and hostility is actually being directed at someone other than you. Someone you love." He brought the two pictures together, threw them into the air with a flourish. "And then let loose the beast on them."

I nearly got goose bumps, what he'd described had been very close to how I used to imagine Kane's face on an opponent. Letting my anger run free by imagining I was seeing a person I hated had worked, but would Victor's way work too? If it did, it meant I could stop being afraid of going out in public all the time and more importantly, I wouldn't have to worry about embarrassing Kane with my timidity.

"You like the idea," Victor poked me on the forehead. "I can see it."

I nodded. "If it works."

"It's just a theory I'm throwing out there in case you want to try it. Come on, I'll help you brainstorm an idea for your own project."

I brought out my sketchbook and scooted closer to him, suddenly feeling more optimistic about the rest of my day.

And almost forgetting about the possibility that Kane was mad and avoiding me.

Almost.

***

Victor helped me choose a topic and organize the overall setup of my project pretty easily. He was full of explosive ideas and liked to sketch little funny stick figures whenever he was thinking, making the usually lonely work both amusing and productive. Tyra came in not too long after we began but stayed leaned against the wall next to the exit the entire time, focusing on her phone and ignoring the rest of us.