20. Bruises

Ember

"Kneel." An alpha's command, gripping me with soul-shaking, unyielding force, bending my will to its desire-

And bouncing off me like a rubber band.

The smile fell from Wendy's pink lips.

Take it. Another dominant presence, wrapping itself around me, hot and furious- but it wasn't Wendy's this time.

I reached for it, let it seep into me and felt the instant rush of power speeding through my veins. Kane was lending me his powers.

I grinned, the icing on my face no doubt making me look absolutely ridiculous, but the kick I gave Wendy's head was nothing of the sort- her whole body moved with the swing of my foot, lips pursing and then gushing saliva, followed by a spurt of blood (and what looked like a tooth), before she went spiraling right into Donna. They crashed into the car, denting it and startling the man in sunglasses. Wendy groaned once, head lolling once as her eyes shut.

Donna gaped at me. Sue gaped. I think I was gaping too. The only one who didn't was Sunglasses who flew into action right away, pulling open the backseat door and throwing Wendy inside before shoving the other two women in. He was opening the driver's door when I heard Kane bursting out of the house. The car peeled away from the curb, tires screeching as it sped off. Kane streaked passed by me, only to stop in his tracks. He glanced between me and the car, frowning. Wondering if he should chase after it or check if I'm okay first, I supposed.

"I'm okay," I said, wiping a bit of frosting off my cheek with a hand. The hand shook, still buzzed with some of the energy from Kane's powers. If I'd thrown a kick like that on my own I would have had a useless leg on my hands right now, but there was nothing wrong with it. Not that Kane looked convinced.

He didn't go after the now very distant car, brows creasing over a pair of glowing yellow eyes. "You have cake on your face," he said.

I smirked. "You should see the other guy."

"Whooo!!"

I turned, the living room window was open and Tom was jumping up and down in excitement, pumping his fists in the air.

I grinned, then winced at the sting in my eye. I think I got some cake into it.

Kane grimaced, grabbed my chin and tilted my face towards him. "Are you hurt?"

"What happened?" Bluebell burst out of the house, Helen trailing behind. "What's going on?"

I gave her a sheepish look. "Wendy and Donna-" The rest of my sentence was lost to the air as Kane swept me up in his arms, ignoring the incredulous look I gave him and the cake I'd gotten on his shirt.

"All of you are going to Jett's house," he said, voice stone cold, "Now."

***

When he said all of you, I thought that applied to all of us. Apparently it didn't since he shut the front door after everyone but us was loaded into Jett's car.

"I've never been to Jett's house," I said nervously, mostly for something to say rather than the importance of it being known. I'd already told him what had happened when I opened the door for Wendy and didn't know what else to talk about.

Kane wiped the water from my face with a towel, as quiet as he'd been while washing the cake off, blue eyes cold and distant. When my face was dried he pulled me out of the bathroom and into the connecting bedroom (his scent was all over it so I assumed it was his), but then proceeded to crowd my personal space again right away. Making it impossible for me to discreetly study the space he's lived in his whole life.