33. Mafia Game

Ember

My imagination was already spiraling miserably out of control. In the time it took for us to walk from the lawn to Kane's office, I had already envisioned the worst possible outcome:

The office door slammed shut and the adults immediately closed in on us, expressions feral with hate and outrage. Kane stepped between me and them, holding his arm out in front of me. "Stay away from Ember," he warned.

"We need to get rid of her if we want this pack to thrive!" Rodney's dad shouted.

"There's nothing wrong with her," Kane growled.

I peered around Kane's shoulder to stick my tongue out at the older werewolf.

Rodney's dad jabbed a finger at me. "There's nothing wrong with her?! Do us a favor, Kane, and take off those infatuated glasses you have on. Tell us what you see then?"

Kane pivoted, blinking as he took in the sight of me. My breath caught in my throat when his face twisted in disgust. "She's red!" he exclaimed.

There were shouts of approval from behind him. "What else?" they egged him on.

His mouth popped open in horror. "She's scared of her own pack!"

"What else?!"

Kane started forward, jabbing an accusing finger at my chest. "She said she's a better cook than me."

Gasps of shock all around. "How could she be so insensitive?"

I held up my hands, trying to find the words to placate them but they were already closing in on me, grabbing hold of me as Kane stepped aside. They raised me over their heads and carried me out of the room, down the stairs and to the front door, singing, "Ding dong the witch is gone..."

Once the door was open they threw me out, my arms flailing as I went flying towards the concrete. I opened my mouth to scream-

"Ember?"

I jerked back to reality. "Huh?"

Rodney's father was holding out the chair for me and the sight of it- of the man who had spawned one of my high school tormentors now politely holding out my chair- was so bizarre I nearly thought I was experiencing another daydream.

He still hadn't moved.

I cleared my throat, allowed him to help me get seated. "Thank you, Mr..."

"Nathan Harris. Call me Nathan." He went around the desk and held up a blue USB for us to see. "This is for Ember."

"Huh?" I asked, then cringed. I'd been staring at the space behind Nathan which was absent of the group that had been previously following him. He was in here alone. But that still didn't mean he'd brought good news.

Get yourself together.

"What is that?" I asked.

"Footage taken from your high school. It shows you being pulled into the locker room and cornered by those punks," Nathan's gaze turned angry. "I acquired it from the school at Kane's request but wanted to ask you in person if you wanted to share it with the rest of the wolves?"

"Share it? Or do you mean give them proof?" I asked.

He nodded. "Half of them think you lied about Kevin, giving them irrefutable evidence of your innocence will force them to see the truth. Get them in line."