9. Bizarreness Overload

Ember

Why do you want to meet Kane?

Why did you go through the trouble of using the girl in the white dress to lure me out?

How did you know I would be here tonight?

How did you manage to unhinge the practically emotionless Arius?

What are you?

If I agree to whatever you want will you let us go?

All of these questions were swirling in my head, right on the tip of my tongue.

What came out was, "Kane isn't my husband."

Cue the forehead slapping.

"I want a meeting with Kane Wilder," Light repeated as if he hadn't heard me.

"Why?" I asked.

He raised a finger to his cheek, tracing the dark lines on his mask absently. His fingers were oddly small for a man his height, I noticed. "I want his pack."

I tried not to choke on my own saliva. "The pack? You just became Autumn Lord."

He nodded. "Power must be snatched up when it is most attainable. I've waited years for the right time to get this," he said, tapping the antlers of his crown.

I narrowed my eyes. "And you think now is the right time to take my pack?"

"Your pack is the most vulnerable one that I know of, so indeed. Right now is the right time."

"You think I'll arrange a meeting with Kane while knowing you want to murder him?"

"If you want to stay among the living you will."

Stall. "A challenge to an alpha has to be made in person, you don't need me to arrange a meeting," I said tersely.

"Fae laws prohibit me from entering werewolf territory unless invited by one of its alphas. It was a ridiculous agreement the fae lords agreed upon a long time ago to avoid war between our races. You need to invite me in."

He wanted to challenge Kane for control over the pack. Could Kane win against him? The previous Autumn Lord hadn't lasted a second and he was an ancient being of magic, how was Kane going to do any better? Even stubborn Arius had backed out of challenging Light. If I took him to Kane it would be the same thing as murdering him.

Hadn't Kane gone through enough pain already?

Yet, it was take Light to Kane or...

"If you refuse I will kill all of you, send your alpha your severed head and wait for him to come to me so I can kill him too," Light said simply.

My eyes darted to Ian, frozen as ice. No help there.

I glanced at the sleeping girl, not a twitch from her. No help there.

Arius was looking everywhere but where we sat, sweat gathering at his brow as he breathed heavily. No help there.

We were cornered.

"What will it be?" Light asked, yellow eyes already triumphant.

I stood up, too frustrated to stay seated anymore. "You're not a werewolf, you can't be an alpha."

He pointed at the girl on the couch. "She's not the only Halfling here."

"Halfling?" I echoed.

He nodded. "I'm half werewolf, half fae."