Halloween Bonus Chapter Part 2

Ember

I shouldn't have been shocked by his bossy behavior, the man did everything like it was his job to do everything- regardless of whether or not you wanted him to do everything. But it wasn't until he was hauling out my suitcase and throwing open my drawers that it dawned on me: today was October thirty-first and there was going to be a full moon tonight. Full moons made werewolves liable to explode at the slightest of transgressions, it would explain why Bluebell was trying to kill the dude she'd mistaken for her mate, but it sure as hell didn't explain Kane's sudden need for me to move into his house.

"Why do you want me to move in today?" I asked him, blocking him from grabbing at my neatly folded clothes.

He stared at me for a long moment, amber eyes swirling with something dark. "Go back to the living room."

I huffed. "Why?"

"There's a bed in here," he said, moving to the bed in question and tugging the sheets off with a force that surprisingly didn't tear it.

I rolled my eyes, fed up with all of it. I grabbed both of his wrists, stopping him from shoving the sheets into the suitcase. "What do you really want?"

"I want you to stay over a few days," he replied quietly.

"What's the occasion?"

He shrugged, the picture of nonchalance if it weren't for those glowing yellow eyes. "Halloween?"

"Halloween?" I scoffed. "What kind of boyfriend thinks Halloween is a romantic occasion? Fine, if you're not going to explain I'll leave you here with-"

A flick of his hands, wrists free, an arm banding around my waist and lifting- and I was suddenly falling backwards into my pillows, the mattress creaking as Kane came right after me, arms braced at either side of me. "No leaving," he growled, entire body shaking as its weight held me down.

He was shaking.

Definitely not because his romantic occasion was in danger...in danger.

Not this again.

I cupped his face in my hands. "I'm not leaving. But only if you tell me what's wrong, remember our promise?"

He shut his eyes, releasing a sigh that tickled my nose. I had an abrupt impulse to start giggling but I didn't think he'd find it amusing so I kept it in. Waited for him to answer.

"Trust your mate," he finally replied, the shaking subsiding with his response.

I wasn't used to coaxing (I'm the girl who got a knife in the throat after a negotiation, you know), and it was usually push and pull with Kane but I knew there were times where you had to find common ground. I wanted to make this work. Why not start with fixing this martyr complex of his?

"Trust your mate." I brushed his dark hair from his forehead, massaging the crease in his brow until it smoothed out. "That means you need to trust me with what's bothering you."

A tense beat passed as he considered my words, as I watched him considering my words with his eyes still closed.

He'd been cooperative the last time we'd spoken about this kind of thing, I knew he didn't need much persuading to agree with me. It was only a matter of patience.

And that line of thinking is exactly why I was left speechless when he shook his head violently, burrowed his face in my neck and pretty much dumped the rest of his weight on me so I couldn't get out from under him.

Shit.

So this is what the protective instinct of an alpha looked like when it was directed at you up-front. The whole thing with Alpha was proof of how stubborn Kane could be when he made his mind up too, which meant coaxing most likely wasn't going to work this time like I'd assumed. I'd be lying if I said it didn't feel nice to see him expressing concern for me but I also couldn't go easy on him, I couldn't have another Alpha situation occurring again. Never again.