❤ Extra Valentine's Day Bonus Chapter ❤

A/N This is the part I'd edited out of the original chapter. I'd been unprepared for the Valentine's Day Chapter and had to work on little sleep to make the deadline instead of the usual week it took to plan and organize everything, and due to the word count limit I thought it would be better to leave this scene out. But since you readers reasonably pointed out how badly Kane handled the situation, I thought it would be better to add this scene again. I'm sorry and a kind thank you to the readers for your honest opinion. I'll try harder to write better :-)

Ember

Kane carried me all the way to the greenhouse afterwards, setting me down on my feet and absorbing my reaction as I took in what was in front of me. When he'd told me he had something to show me, my first assumption was a fancy dinner- maybe another round of reconciling sex.

It was far better than that.

I couldn't fathom how he'd prepared it on short notice but there were hundreds of candles everywhere, nestled among the plants, forming hearts on the floor, their fiery little flames lighting up the darkness. The sweet aroma of flowers mingled with the artfully presented food laid out on the red picnic blanket. I guessed the dinner was ordered from an impressive restaurant considering the quality of the meal and lack of burn marks. To top it off, there was a single red rose in a transparent vase beside a stack of chocolate boxes.

Unable to resist, I pointed down at the flower. "You said you hated roses."

"I was being a douchebag," Kane replied, burying his face in my hair and breathing in. "Sorry."

Again, I couldn't help myself from poking at him. "You know this technically counts as a surprise? You said no more surprises."

He stepped back. "I'm new to this relationship thing."

I folded my arms over my chest. "Is that the reason why you were a douchebag?"

"It won't happen again. I'm a work in progress, remember?"

I smiled. "My dear Work In Progress."

He scrunched up his nose. "I don't like that nickname."

I raised a brow. "I thought you were repenting?"

He bowed. "Call me whatever you want."

I sat down, crossed my legs. "Does that mean I can do whatever I want too?"

"You can." He sat down across from me, cut up the beef into bite-sized pieces and placed it in front of me. "Ask for anything. A house, all the ripped jeans from your favorite brand-"

I gasped dramatically. "All the ripped jeans I want? Now you're behaving like a proper soul mate."

He grinned, held a grape out for me. "Or have me jump into a lake. Whatever you want, I'll do it. I'm devoted."

I ate the grape, grabbed his wrist before he could pull away. "Let's do that then."

His amused expression vanished. "What?"

I laughed. "The pool in the back. Let's play rock papers scissors, the one who loses jumps in."

"Ember, you know it's freezing outside right now?"

"Is it frozen? I thought the temperature was regulated?"

"It isn't frozen but hasn't been heated today-

"I thought you were devoted?"

He stood up with a grace that called to attention the way his jeans clung deliciously to his muscled thighs, how his shirt tapered off into the neat dip of his waist. I swallowed hard. It took me a moment to realize he was holding his hand out for me to take. "I'm devoted," he said. "But what if you end up losing instead?"

I took his hand, let him help me up. "That won't happen. I'm feeling lucky tonight."

***

Kane was right, the pool hadn't been heated. I retrieved the toe I'd dipped in it, letting it scurry back to the warm comfort of my boot.

What if I lost? Swimming was the last thing I wanted to do right now.

Oh, where was a time machine when you realized the very good idea you decided to embark on ten minutes ago was the worst kind of idea to act on?

We'd gone from romantic greenhouse date to standing in the cold with one of us about to jump into freezing water. I should have kept my mouth shut.

"Having second thoughts?" Kane asked. "I thought you really wanted to swim tonight?"

I scoffed. "You'll be the one swimming tonight. On the count of three, Wilder."

"Don't forget to give me a kiss goodbye before you jump," he replied.

I stuck my tongue out at him. "One, two...three!"

I threw out paper.

Kane held out...scissors.

He laughed. Held his arms out toward the water. "Happy swimming."

I took in a deep breath, let it out. Nodded. "I'll just get this over with fast." I flung myself at Kane, locking our lips together and grinning when he loosened up right away. Then I caught the back of his knees with my leg, shoving the heel of my other foot so we went sideways.

Right into the water.

He shouted. I screamed. The water was like an oppressive entity, sucking all the warmth away and freezing my very core until it felt like my soul was freezing along with my body. I laughed anyway. Grabbed Kane's hand when he tried to grab onto the ledge so he couldn't.

He gave me an incredulous look, water dripping from his face. "Ember!" But he barked out a laugh after and soon the place was filled with our screaming/laughter, along with the sloshing of water as we tried to stop each other from fleeing.

It took us a while but we managed to get out of the pool, sniffling, wet clothes dragging us down and water puddles forming beneath us.

I stared at Kane. He stared back, his dark hair a clinging mess on his face as he shivered.

My teeth were clattering against each other so it took me several attempts before I could speak again. "H-hot bath?"

"Together?" he asked.

"Nope," I said, scrambling to my feet and speeding towards the house. "First one in has dibs!"

I heard the growl from behind that said he wasn't going to let me have my way easily.

That was fine by me. I giggled, speeding up.