Episode XV: He Who Treads Through Dimensions

"Even the phoenix that rises from the ashes can't recover instantly from mental damage."- Akeno Himijima, High School DxD

"Thank you for this Alex," Phoenix said as she lied back against me in my bed.

"Hey, I'm you're bodyguard, it's what I do," I said with a smile.

"Is that all? Just a bodyguard? Because I see you as much more. My equal, my other half. And my one true love." She said looking up at me, looking me right in the eyes.

"I feel the same way. Again, I'm sorry I never told you sooner."

"It's just...I've been given so many suitors, and I can tell just by seeing them, all they want is the wealth and the title, they don't care about me. Nobody outside of my family does. I'm tired of it. I always feel so alienated from everyone else. Little girls always say they want to be a princess when they grow up, but they're too young to realize just how lonely it is. I'm always told how lucky I am to be a princess, that I'm spoiled. Yes. I know I'm spoiled, I've never gone hungry, or been told no. I've been told that I've never worked a day in my life, before you, and this war, most of my time was spent doing work in my studies or trying to act prim and proper for the public eye. No mistake can be made, you must be polite and only speak when spoken to. Being a princess sucks, and I hate it. But, now that you're here I feel like I can finally just...be me. For once in this miserable existence of mine, I can be myself. Something the kings and queens before would have excommunicated me for.."

"Yes if there's one thing I know, it's that a lot of the time they can be stuck in their ways."

The mood was instantly shattered, her ears perked up and her eyes began to glow as she looked around.

"What is it?" I asked, my heart picking up speed.

"Get down!!!!" She shouted throwing me to the floor as the wall burst open in flames and smoke, the sound of crinkling chains could be heard as the floorboards were ripped up. Dusting myself off, I helped Phoenix to her feet. Only to see the cause of the explosion was a huge beast. It had massive muscles, veins ready to explode, and pale almost ghostly white skin. It wore what looked to be a suit of armour made from stone, and a helmet resembling that of a Roman gladiator. Its eyes and mouth glowing a sinister orange, with every heaving breath smoke escaped its nostrils.

I reached out to thin air to meet my blade, having it in the ready position. "The hell are you?!" I called out.

"That's Leviticus! He's a legendary warrior of hell. Seems as if Beleth has corrupted him." Phoenix said in horror as the beast revealed two massive axes hung by chains in his hands. He threw one of the axes our way, ripping up the street as it hurled its way toward us. While I managed to get away Phoenix was caught in its way, catching her legs with such force it whipped her into the debris, burying her under rubble from the waist down.

"Phoenix!!" I shouted running towards her, only for the other ax to rip through the road in front of me creating a wall of fire.

"D-Don't worry about me!! Kill him!!" She cried out in pain. I turned to face Leviticus, my blade pointed at him.

"You just made the biggest fuckin' mistake of your life!" I shouted.

Throwing one of his axes I got caught in the chain, he pulled me towards him, thinking quick I sliced through the chain kicking his face, breaking the helmet. Only to be caught again. He slammed me to the ground delivering several hard punches causing my vision to blur, and my focus on colour to be lost. I staggered to my feet spitting blood and a tooth. Once I caught my focus he was charging me. I slid under his legs slicing upward on his back causing glowing orange blood to spill onto the ground. He turned around in a fury.