Episode VIII: Them Bones

"The purgatory walkers." The demon priest said.

 "An individual that appears once every million years or so. They possess great power, the ability to transcend time and space to enter Limbo. And can enter any dimension they so please. Effectively ruining the natural order. These beings, be they human or others often pick a side to fight for. Be it Angel, Demon, or Fallen Angel. And he, Sir Webber has the honour of being a Purgatory Walker yourself. And you have chosen good allies in Hell."

Phoenix smiled at this. Feeling comfort in knowing she made the right choice to request his presence here. That this could change the tide of the war. 

"However, in this prophecy, there is a warning. With every walker, comes an impostor. The Deceiver. Live the true walkers they can move in between worlds. But they lack the true power of a Walker. Often they choose the opposing side of the true Purgatory Walker and manipulate their faction to their will. Prolonging wars, suffering, or moving up the ranks to rule. The ladder has only happened once. It was long ago, during the days of David and Goliath. Goliath was a Purgatory Walker, as was David. And it was unknown who the Deceiver truly was. When Goliath was killed, David rose to power in his region. Ruling with an iron fist. It soon came to light that it was David, who was the deceiver. This is the only recorded instance of The Deceiver achieving a position of power over the true walker."

Phoenix's smile soon faded. "So, there's a chance that Alex could be The Deceiver?" She said, her face turning pale. 

"Unfortunately yes, but we can find comfort in knowing the ritual performed on him by Lady Charlotte worked. The Deceiver would traditionally use artificial means, such as illusions, or perhaps possession. Since it worked, the likelihood of him being The Deceiver is incredibly low." The priest placed a hand on the Devil Princess's shoulder. "So breathe easy your majesty."

"Thank you Monsoon. Is there a way we can further debunk this?" She asks. The ancient demon priest scratches his wrinkly grey chin for a moment. He turned to face his massive library of books. 

"Perhaps there is...The prophecy states the Purgatory Walkers possess incredible physical abilities, such as speed, strength, agility and dexterity. Why not take him back to the Kadingir Sanctum and put him through a series of tests to gauge his power. That should be a foolproof way of determining this." Monsoon inquired with a triumphant smile.   

"I like the way you think. Perhaps this could work. I'll speak to Alex about it." Phoenix said rubbing her chin.

"I suggest not telling him the purpose of this. As we don't want to hinder his potential with this kind of....pressure." Monsoon pointed out placing the large leather-back book in its place on the shelf. 

"Y-yes of course! As much as I hate keeping secrets from people, let alone my servant, this time I suppose I'll have to just...swallow my pride." She said rubbing the back of her head awkwardly. 

"I understand it is difficult to lie. But, like I said we do not want to hinder him. And I believe this sacrifice is needed for him to reach his full potential. This must be done, princess. If you won't then I'll have to press King Lucifer to do it." Monsoon replied, his tone becoming sterner. 

"You've known me for my entire life Monsoon, and you should know that I'll do whatever it takes. It's just difficult." 

"I remember when you were first born when I first saw you I said to myself, self this young girl is going to grow up and lead well into the next generation. And here you are, all grown up. It makes me long for my youth again. When your father steps down, I expect you to do just as good a job, do a better job than he did." Monsoon said as he placed his bony elderly hand on the girl's shoulder. "When you become seventy-five thousand years old like I am, you will see what I see, child." 

Monsoon sighed deeply and turned around to face a statue of two monsters being slain by what looked like a knight in shining black hellish armour. "You read about the great Hell Knight De'Rot Melikias yes?"

 Monsoon continued, "He was the last purgatory walker to fight for hell. In his time your father wasn't even a gleam in your grandfather's eye. De'Rot brought order to Hell during the unholy civil wars. Creating a functioning society out of chaos." He said as he referred to a carving of the crown on his head before continuing.

 "Effectively becoming the first Devil King. Your Grandfather was his right-hand man and made his successor soon after De'Rot claimed the new throne. He created the Hell we know today. And it still stands. With you at the throne, I do not doubt in this old mind of mine that you will be just as great, if not more so than him. There is a legend that says his suit of armour is buried somewhere on the last battlefield he fought in before he was finally slain. The Blood Rivers of Mallia in the western quadrant of Hell. Perhaps with this legacy you and this purgatory walker are about to create, maybe you can find it." Monsoon finished with a smile. "But that's enough of my old war stories. You probably think I'm just a crazy old man. And you'd be right for thinking so, child." He added with a chuckle.

"No! Not at all Monsoon, this is very important if I am to become the next Devil King!" Phoenix said with her cheeks puffed and fists clenched. "If I want to carve my own legacy, I need to understand where to begin!"