Episode XVI: Green And Blue

With my head in my hands, grasping at my hair with every fibre of my being, it was as if time had suddenly slowed. I looked around to see nothing but bright lights and the whispers of the void. Even if I was just outside the medical bay awaiting a report on Phoenix. All I could feel at that exact moment was empty.

Like a falling rock into a dried-up river. Opening my eyes for a brief moment I could see the terror in her eyes when she was stabbed. The twinkle of her beautiful blue eyes fills with tears, the subtle rip of flesh, and the wet splash of blood. And that pale face, turning almost transparent with terror.

I could feel my stomach churn and turn itself inside-out. Suddenly a presence broke me out of my daze. Turning my head for what felt like an eternity was her father. The devil himself, Satan Lucifer. He was an older gentleman with white hair and a long well kept beard with slicked hair. He sat down next to me with a look of sadness, but with sympathy in his eyes.

He places a hand on my shoulder and exhales deeply. "Alexander, I can only imagine how you feel. But you must know, that I am not upset with you in the slightest." He says with a soft, yet deep raspy voice. His mouth seemingly struggling to form every single word. And the way he carried himself was that of a crippled old man.

"I...I don't understand sir. I failed you. I could have gotten Phoenix killed." I said with my voice rattling like a cage. My insides wanted to be on my outsides just uttering those words.

"You may feel that way, and I am concerned for her health as well, being her father. But I do not blame you at all. I love you like family. And every family encounters tragedy one time or another. The only thing we can do now is hope she will be okay, and move onto the future. Dwelling on the past will get us nowhere." He pats my shoulder looking me in the eyes with every word. He looked ahead with sadness.

"Alexander, the truth is I am nearing my end. I am dying. And I don't know how to tell the girls or Dante. But, when my time comes, I want you to be there by Pheonix's side to comfort her. When my time is up, she is to take over as ruler of Hell, by Sophia's request. And I want you, The Purgatory Walker to rule by her side. Please, do it for me."

"B-But sir how do you plan on telling her? A-And me? Ruling? H-How" I stammered with urgency.

"When the time comes I will tell her. Until then I must wander a little longer my boy. Do not be sad. For there is always a tomorrow." He said in the same tired soft voice. With a harsh cough and a grunt he added, "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present." He says with a smile through his beard. "Now, get some rest. You've had a long enough day."

---------------

In my quarters that night, I sat in my chair looking out the window view of the hell capital city. It was so jarring to see such a beautiful city in a place depicted as so dark and bloody as hell. Yet here I was, in possibly one of the most amazing places I had ever seen. I took a deep breath and laid back in my chair, letting the fabric shape my figure ever so gently. Just as I was about to float away into the ever-so-loving embrace of sleep, a thought had perked into my mind. I felt so cold. So alone and empty inside.

It was at that exact moment, I stood up from my chair onto the hardwood floor and dressed into appropriate night attire. I then put on some slippers and made my way out the door into the extremely long hallway filled with decorations and topped with dim warm lighting. My silk slippers met the warm and soft carpet. Even if the sound was muffled I still tip-toed my way down the hall, and stealthily checked behind corners to make sure I wasn't waking anyone up. I had to make my way to the medical bay to see Phoenix, I just had to. Sophia was right, I did love her, and I couldn't sleep knowing that I almost got her killed because of my poor skills.

Moving as quickly and as quietly as possible I made my way down a flight of stairs all the way down to the lower levels medical bay. Quietly opening the door I poked my head in and looked around left and right, only a few lights were on, but it seemed as if the bay was overall empty.

I closed the door and cringed at the click of the mechanism resetting itself as the click echoed through the room. Silently walking around the room I tried to find Phoenix's bed. Nothing but empty spots, until, overlooking the window, the moon illuminating her like sleeping beauty, Was ahead of pinkish-red hair glowing from the moonlight, and her pale skin radiating a shade of bright blue.

There she lied, fast asleep. Her curves were wrapped in blood-stained bandages and an I.V hooked up to her wrist. All this was accompanied by the beep of an EKG machine. But something was clearly different. Her hair was down no longer did she have the long pigtails. Rather every strand of hair was able to rest down in its natural position. A style that was similar to that of wavy curtains with curls at the end.

'I want you to be there by Phoenix's side to comfort her. Please, do it for me.' Her father's voice rang in my head like a clock tower.

I slowly began walking towards her. I then sat down on her bed next to her, placing a hand on her forehead. Her skin was soft like silk and she smelt amazing. I then began stroking her hair slowly, and I could swear for a brief moment I saw her crack a smile.

I couldn't help but wonder, for someone so powerful, why did she put up so little of a fight? There had to have been a reason. I began running off a bunch of them in my head. She's so powerful that if she were to use it, it could kill her. She doesn't understand her power fully, or perhaps there's more to it than just willing it into existence. I wasn't too sure.

I leaned in and whispered to her. "I did it. I killed him. He can't hurt you anymore." No response from Phoenix. So, in defeat, I stood up from the bed tucking her in and fluffing her pillow before planting a kiss on her forehead and walking away with the feeling of guilt and anxiety wafting over me.
All I could think of now was to go to my room, lock the door and never come out.

Closing the door to my room, I twist the latch to the lock. Walking slowly and somberly I place myself on the bed with my hands neatly put together over my stomach, looking up at the ceiling. Feeling as if time had stopped. At the moment, all I could think about was the fact that I could have gotten her killed. That I could have gotten...Phoenix killed.

I could feel the pressure building in my eyes as warm tears swelled and dripped down my face. The feeling of sadness was sharp, with a stinging afterglow, and weight like no other. I likened it to Atlas, having to carry the world on his shoulders. 

'Perhaps, this is how he felt...' I thought to myself through the warm tears.