Episode XIV: Under And Over It

"The good news on the Venturini situation, is that we have a man on the inside among his ranks. Thomas..." Dante shouted as a video call came up, showing a pale faced man with buzzed brown hair and green eyes. 

"Thank you Dante. As you know, Gianni Venturini is the leader of The Scythe. One of Beleth's strongest assets in the region, should we oust them, we'll be that much closer to breaking his grip on Japan, and soon the world. The Scythe is a criminal organization in truth. Think of it like a wolf wearing sheeps clothing. Gianni lives a lavish lifestyle, closely guarded by his most trusted associates.  These include other politicians, social personalities, you name it. His mansion is surrounded by guarder spells and spotters. We haven't been able to get a good look inside his compound until now. The Alchemy division in the Royal Underworld Military has given me an experimental spell that will camouflage me to their magic, letting me pass right in. The downside is, when you sense me, it wont be as friendly. But I'm willing to take that risk."

Dante paced around while Thomas was speaking. "Thomas will enter as a newly appointed security guard in the mansion, sneak in and get as much intel as possible. And remain in the facility under a false identity. When the time is right, and we have all the information we need, thats when we strike. Killing Gianni Venturini and cutting the head off the Scythe."

"Until then, I will keep you all posted on my progress. This operation from this point on will be known as Operation Blind Side. I will do everything in my power to not blow my cover. Blind Side begins in 48 hours, I will report my findings as soon as I arrive."

48 Hours Later, Operation Blind Side Begins

Thomas Thorne, A.K.A "Enzo Angelo" 

Security Unit 04

Somewhere In The Outskirts Of Tokyo

9:00PM JPT

Thomas sat in the passenger side of the large four by four as the driver took him up the mountain. Over the horizon, bright lights could be seen. Gianni's mansion soon came into view. It was surrounded by a black fence, with a fountain and made from architecture similar to that of Neo-Roman times. Black Limousines and trucks laced the mansion, and people dressed in formal wear where scattered across the lawn. 

"Internal comms link established. From this point on you are not permitted to make contact. We'll radio you. Begin op. Imposing radio silence."

--------------------------

Meanwhile....

Phoenix looked at me with worry. "This is too dangerous...Thomas is in it for sure."

"With all due respect Princess, you need to think positive. Dante wouldn't have chosen Tom if he didn't know what he was doing."

Phoenix looked down and away. "You're right...worrying won't solve anything."

"Alright, let's leave Thomas to his work. We'll contact you if anything happens. Go mingle somewhere else please." Dante ordered. 

Phoenix and I left the room and went back outside. "Leave it to Dante to get all military commander when things like this happen. He was the same during the other major conflicts. Raised that way by father. To be a military strategist." 

"And what about you?" I asked.

"Well, for me it was to be fathers successor. Since Dante refused. It's my job to take that responsibility."

"Oh, see I thought it was to be the pretty one." I said with a slight laugh. 

"Har har very funny." She said, playfully punching my arm. "Alex, can I ask you something?" She added.

"Of course, Princess. Anything." I said smiling. She lead me to the nearest bench and sat down next to me. 

"Can you be honest with me? How do you feel about me...?"

"Where's this coming from Princess?"

"I just....I just...I want to know if you're interested in me or not. I've made advances towards you and you've snuffed me. The worst thing is not knowing...."

"Princess...I..."

"Phoenix, please. We're on a first name basis, remember?"

"Y-Yeah...I thought the whole us dating thing was a front? Isn't that what you said?"

"Well...yes...I did...but, I think that front is more real than I thought..."

"I see...."

"That's it? Just I see?" She was starting to get frustrated. Turning red in the face. "I've been wanting to tell you this properly for weeks, and all I get is an I see? I love you, you freaking idiot!!" Phoenix's eyes started to swell with tears.

"No, no, no, no! Phoenix don't think that! It's just a lot to process is all. If I'm being honest with myself, I love you too. I mean, before I discovered this bizarre ability that  I have, my life was admittedly kind of lame. I had a boring job, boring life, and a boring outlook. Then comes along this gong-show, and your sister introduces me to you. When she told me that you'd be married away, I confess at first I thought nothing of it. But after I got to know you, and be around you, I started to worry. And feel like something was being taken away from me. And if I didn't act soon, you'd be gone..."

She simply stared at me with wet eyes. Her face glowing shades of red. Before I could even blink I was thrown back by her weight hitting me, her arms wrapped around me. Her face was buried in my chest as she quietly sobbed. 

"Th-thank you...so much....!!" She cried out. Squeezing tighter.

"I'm sorry I didnt tell you sooner...."

"C-can we go home now....?"

"Yeah. It looks like its going to rain soon. Come." I said. She jumped on my back and I carried her back to my house.

--------------------------------

We walked in the door soaking wet from the rain. She got off my back and undid her pigtails, wiping the water off her forehead. You could just faintly hear the chattering of her teeth from shivering. 

"Would you like me to run a warm bath for you?" I asked, pushing a wet strand of hair out of her eyes. 

"As long as you'll join me. Yes." 

Soon, with hot water flowing, she lies on my chest in the water washing away the cold feeling the rain had brought. Before long, she had fallen asleep. I couldn't help but smile. My mom and dad will freak out when they hear I have a girl now.

I'm sorry for being  quiet these past few months. Just a lot has gone on that's caused me to do a lot of self-reflection. And inklings of depression here and there. My self worth has been low lately, I'm not happy with my current position in life, and I feel like I'm at a dead end. I just didn't want to be anywhere, or do anything. I'd call it an emotional prison if I'm being true to myself. Again, I'm really sorry

-OZ-