Episode V: Demons and Hell

"Come with me. We have much to discuss." Sophia said waking me up. I forced myself up, a little sweaty from sleeping in my clothes. I cracked my fingers and back. She walked out the back door into the black abyss that was night. I followed, greeted by a chill of cold wind, and a blinding bright white light that lay above the door. The smell of rain graced my nose, and the ground had a springy soft feel. It must've rained when I was asleep. I couldn't see a thing that was beyond the white light coverage. Despite glass reflecting the light, and the occasional tree branch. 

"You're not scared of the dark are you?" Sophia asked, looking back at me.

 When she turned back, I nearly jumped out of my skin. Her eyes where literally glowing in the dark. I don't mean because of the light. I mean actually giving off their own light. Through that darkness, I could see a pair of horns, fangs, and pointed ears. Her hair was brushed back slightly to let the horns appear more. Her hair was still pink, but with streaks of white. I could feel the blood rush to my fingertips, my knees becoming weak.

My voice wanted to cry out in terror, but my throat was far too dry to even emit coherent words. My face began to get cold, as all heat in my body then channeled to my ears. I could feel my heart take off at an alarming rate. It was like I was looking into the doors of hell itself. A demon, standing right in front of me. And all I could do was stand there, shaking at the knees, blood turning to ice. 

"Oh, this? You're just looking at my true form, darling. I am a succubus after all." She said with an innocent smile. "Don't be scared. It's not like I'm going to eat you." She added chuckling to herself. She took out something from her pocket and pressed a button, two shining lights broke the darkness, and when that happened, her true form vanished back. She was normal again. She beckoned me to follow her as she opened the door. It was a car she just unlocked. I climbed in. It was warm, dry, and fancy. Like one of those a sixteen year old girl gets for her birthday.

 She turned the key, causing the dome light to turn off, and the gauge cluster to light up. With a chime of the car, she turned it fully. The car shook as the engine turned and erupted to life with a guttural grumble. This was a full-fledged muscle car we just got into. The windows were dark, and the seats soft and warm. She put on the drive gear and we where on our way.

"Where are we going?" I asked as I put on my seat-belt. 

"To speak with my co-workers at my home. Of course, I hate to tell you this, but the only way to get there is through limbo." My heart sank at that statement. I really didn't like that. Her hand began to glow as a red pentagram lit up on her hand. The world around us began to contort, bend and burst at the seams. The skies took off at break neck speed again, and the moon turned an ominous blood red. Fire laced the edges of the road ahead, and the trees around us burst into flames, signs on the road began displaying messages like route 666, death road ahead, and curses to Christ. 

The car changed as well, becoming what looked like a sort of black elongated saloon. with an inverted cross as the hood accessory. "You see, Limbo isn't just randomized chaos. Everything here happens for a reason. Limbo is Earth's direct line to Hell. In other words, the world that souls go through to get to it. And that's where we are going. We are quite literally on a highway to hell." Sophia said as she kept her hands on the wheel, relaxed. "We will come up to a massive black iron gate guarded by Cerberus, once he sees me, we are home free. Don't worry, they know you're coming.." She said with a smile.

"They? Who's they? And could you not say it too menacingly?" I protested, still shaken at the fact that I was back in Limbo. 

She rolled her eyes chuckling. "Relax. Nobody can touch you as long as I'm with you. They are my family. I am a Lucifer after all. Greenwood is just my human last name. I am the daughter of the King of Hell." She said.

"King...as in Satan? Like...THE Satan? The Devil? Beelzebub? The Anti-Christ?" I said slightly panicked. 

She nodded. "Mhm. Satan. I'm his oldest daughter, Phoenix is his second youngest, and my baby sister is Ella. We each have about six hours between us. And I can't forget my oldest brother Dante. He's a good man. Very trustworthy and kind."

"A demon? Kind? Thats new...."

"Hey. That's mean. Sure father did nasty things to you humans, but believe me, like humans, not all demons are bad. The only downside is, my father is polygamous. Several wives and the like. Its pretty normal in our society. While it's taboo in yours. My and Phoenix's mother sadly died giving birth to us. That is why father has so many wives now, the devastation of her loss caused him to desperately search for someone to numb the pain. Thankfully, he's mostly over her death, and speaks very fondly of her to anyone who will listen. I myself am a little sad. But I was only a newborn, as was Phoenix."

"So if he's the king, you're a princess?" I asked curiously.

"Yes. As is Phoenix and Ella. Dante is currently a Lord however, as he refused the rank of Prince when he was of age. He doesn't think he is worthy. Frankly I disagree. The king oversees hell, while we, simply oversee specific circles. I oversee the first, second, third, and fourth, Phoenix handles the fifth, sixth and seventh, and Dante handles the eighth and ninth. While yes, Hell is for sinners. We do punish them, but not with eternal suffering. We are demons, not barbarians. What we do is we essentially place them in a circle that confines to why they where sent here. While yes, hell is full of nasty souls. It functions more or less like a giant nation then a place of suffering. We believe your punishment comes from fellow humans and god himself. Now, that's not to say we never punish. We punish the worst of the worst. Let's take Adolf Hitler for example. Father told me, that when he was brought down here, he was so disgusted as was God, he decided to simply burn up his soul. Effectively removing him from existence. You humans have something called Capitol  Punishment with the electric chair? That is our Capitol Punishment." 

She kept her eyes on the road the entire time. The fog and embers where thick as glue. 

"So what do you have to do to receive this punishment?" I asked curiously. 

"Well, like earth, the most heinous of crimes. Mass murder, genocide, terrorism, treason in the old days as well as blasphemy thousands of years ago. There have been a few attempts on mine and fathers life that resulted in that punishment. We call it Purging. Like hanging in the old days of your world, its an event. Hundreds if not thousands of us of all types, from Imps, to Succubi like myself, Liches and more all gather to watch someone plead their case before being killed forever. But we do have a court system that functions a lot like yours. So purging is the last resort type thing." 

"Cool. Seems a lot like us. In the old days, the death penalty was handed out left and right. Corruption was everywhere. Question, you speak a lot of Phoenix, yet she seems almost unapproachable for me."

"Oh? Well I guess that's fair since she gives off the vibe of a wealthy girl. She is, but she's as sweet as candy. Perhaps I could put in a good word for you." She says winking. My face turned red.

"I-its not like that...." I said blushing.

"Sure. Anyways, were about to pass the gate. Hush."

We stopped, and two shadowy figures dressed in black armour along with a massive three headed dog gave us the go-ahead. The gates opened. And the heat increased. The trees where gone, and now the sky was blood red, the moon was black, and beneath us was a pit miles deep, at the bottom was an ominous glow, I'd guess lava. Structures were abundant in the distance. It looked like a city almost. A steampunk city to be precise. Buildings had their foundations reach the full way down into the pit. The clouds in the sky where black, clashing with the blood red sky and black moon. A massive castle came into view on a mountain. 

"Is that your place....?"

"Mhm. And Phoenix will be there~"

"Stop it!!"