Chapter 96

Isabel shivered, hugging her arms as she sat down on the shimmery path that stretched for miles.

Everyone had disappeared. Alice had left her, Elena was gone, Naomi, Matteo, and Gabe were nowhere to be seen either. Nothing could cheer her up, not even her adventures.

The figures in the clouds had not been helping either.

They were different faces being shaped in the clouds, but the one that had hurt her the most was the one that shaped into James, his eyes darkened with anger.

"Why wouldn't they leave you? Haven't you noticed? People don't like you Isabel, they tolerate you. Even your own sister tolerates you."

The logical part of her brain knew that this must be a trick of the mind, that the world around her was trying to psych her out. But Isabel had a sensitive side too, and that side was telling her that cloud-James had a point.

She was annoying. She couldn't differentiate feelings of friendship and like, she was always tinkering around with stupid objects to make useless inventions, and she couldn't remember the last time she'd gone out with friends just to have fun.

Did she even know how to have fun?

Eilonwy had been new to the school, just looking for a friend to help her out, and what had Isabel done? Nothing. Taran had been the one to help Eilonwy out.

And Elena... Isabel felt their bond wearing away. It didn't feel as strong as it used to, in fact, Isabel wondered if Elena was avoiding her.

A loud crack burst through the air, followed by a scream and someone landing in front of Isabel.

Eilonwy stood up, taking a hand through her hair and smiling.

"Isabel! Have you tried leaping through these things? It's terrifying, but also exhilarating!"

Isabel wiped some of the stray tears that had rolled down her cheeks away from her face. "What?"

"Oh!" Eilonwy's eyes widened, and she crouched down to Isabel's eye level. "You're crying, why?"

The question made Isabel break down in tears once again, and Eilonwy patted her head, a frown on her face.

"It's my fault," she sobbed. "I'm a bore and nobody likes me, my own sister doesn't—"

Eilonwy shook her head. "Oh dear, has someone been listening to the clouds?" Eilonwy plopped down next to Isabel, sighing. "I almost fell into that trap. Taran found me though."

There was a smile on her face, and Isabel asked, "You like him, don't you?"

"Yep. I don't think that comes as a surprise though, does it?"

It didn't. Alice and Isabel were always doing things together, so it only made sense that Eilonwy and Taran had to find things to do themselves.

"Taran told me that I'm not who the clouds tell me I am. Why, I'm not even who I say I am. I am simply the actions I put out, and he told me that that is why he likes me." Eilonwy turned to Isabel, placing her hands on her shoulders. "Isabel, you are an inventor. You're constantly looking for a way to rework things and you love hanging out with your best friend and you're a wonderful little sister. That's who you are. But I don't think I'm the one you need to talk to right now."

Isabel wiped her cheeks, and Eilonwy closed her eyes as she stretched her hands out before her. A portal opened, and Eilonwy pushed Isabel into it, though she didn't follow after.

"Isabel!" a voice gasped. "You're okay!"

Isabel found herself swept up in the arms of her sister Elena, and she smiled.

"Yeah I'm okay. I think everyone is. I just don't know what the villains are doing outside of this."

Elena grinned, hugging her sister close once again. "If anyone can figure out what's going on, it's you."

"I think we're in the void, a hole in the universe that only few can access."

Elena looked around and that dark pink-and-purple sky and the sparkles that surrounded them. It really did look as if they were in space.

"Yeah, that would make sense," she said.

Isabel nodded. "I'm not too sure how we'll get out though. Elena?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you tolerate me?" Isabel bit her lip, hating the sound of her needing reassurance. "Am I boring? A nuisance?"

Elena gaped. "Oh my gosh, Isabel no! Who told you that? I love you, you're my sister!"

"Nobody," Isabel said, feeling her voice getting choked up. "But I just wanted to hear you say it. I love you too."

They hugged again, and Elena whispered, "No matter how much time I spend with Gabe, or Matteo and Naomi, it won't change the fact that you're my sister Isabel. If you ever need me, you'll come first. I hope you know that."

Isabel nodded, burying her head into her sister's chest.

◈▣◈

Life had a funny away of screwing Elsa over. First it was being born with her powers, which she thought was a blessing at first but soon found out was truly a curse. And she had to learn that the hard way, through hurting her sister. Then it killed her parents, which had broke her heart into two and she didn't think it had even fully healed. Then there was Hans, that affected her indirectly and instead almost ruined her sister's life, and then there was Jack.

Jack had everything Elsa wanted to have. Freedom, fun, to use her powers in a way that she didn't fear for the safety of others. Jack had even saved people with his powers before. When had she ever done that?

And now life has pulled maybe the most unfair trick of all. Putting her in this void which stretched through space and time, and the person sharing the space with her was none other than Jack.

"So?" he said, and Elsa could just hear the smile in his voice, though she wasn't looking at him. "Are you just not gonna talk to me?"

"I'm just thinking, okay?"

She was thinking of how she felt about him. Of how that would work when she had to return to her kingdom and become queen.

"You could think out loud." Jack floated over in front of her, and now she had a clear view of his face. "I could help you."

Elsa laughed. "I don't think you can help me out here."

He sat down in front of her, crossing his legs. "Queen things?"

Elsa nodded. "Queen things."

They sat in silence for a bit, but it was a comfortable silence. Elsa leaned back slightly, and she heard a crinkle in her back pocket. From there, she pulled out a piece of paper, and she knew exactly what it was without needing to open it.

"You should have this," she said, handing it to Jack. "I drew it on our date." He opened it up, smiling when he saw the lifelike drawing of him. "It's probably a terrible idea to tell you this, but I was talking with Anna, and well I was talking about abdicating the throne."

Jack looked up from the drawing, immediately serious. "Why? Not because of me, right?"

Elsa looked away from him. "Well, you were an important factor. I just... I don't know, I don't feel like I'm ready to be queen. Or if I even want to be queen. Anna would be so much better."

Jack sat beside her, taking one of her hands. "Listen, I really like you too. But don't make any rash decisions with me in mind, okay? If you abdicate the throne, let it be because you want to."

Elsa nodded, and she felt lighter, happier even. She didn't know how much that thought had been weighing her down. Now Jack knew what she wanted to do, but there was still one question.

Would she act on it?

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all who celebrate! This years been wild but I hope you've all been safe. Any other plot holes I need to wrap up? This story is almost over and it's been a crazy ride, I've been doing this for over two years now! Thank you all so much for reading :)