Chapter 46

It was Sunday, and Christopher Robin's birthday was today. He was fifteen years old! How time flew!

All his animal friends had decorated the place, made a cake, and put all their presents on a table.

Christopher was about to come in from his morning walk with Pooh, and before he did, his friends would be ready.

They heard the doorknob twist, and they all crouched, ready to jump up.

The door swang open, and as it did they all jumped out, except Eeyore—who was in charge of the cake—and smiled.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRISTOPHER ROBIN!" they yelled.

Pooh walked in after Christopher Robin, and Piglet flung himself at him.

Eeyore balanced the cake on his back, and he looked up at Christopher Robin, smiling for once.

"And happy birthday to you too, Pooh!" They added.

Pooh laughed, and Tiger pushed over a large bowl of honey. That was the way to Pooh's heart.

"Open my present!" Kanga giggled with excitement.

"No, no, open mine!" Rabbit argued.

Christopher Robin looked at the boxes and smiled. This was a lovely surprise. First his friend surprises him with Disneyland tickets, and now his other friends threw him a surprise birthday party!

"Thank you guys," he grinned. "You really are the best."

"We know." Roo giggled.

◈▣◈

Andy was going back home for mid-break, and had politely declined Fawn's offer. Still, there seemed to be this guilt weighing on his shoulder. Hiro was grieving too, and so was Aunt Cass. He felt like they needed him. Every break since third grade, he'd stay with the Hamada's. He just didn't think he could handle it. Entering the cafe, and Tadashi not being at the door.

Andy turned up his music as he pulled his suitcases out of his dorm room, and rolled down the halls.

"Hey, Andy!"

Fawn was waving at him, and he could barely hear because of his earphones. He pulled one out, and smiled back, even though it was a forced one.

"You sure you're okay with staying home? You can still come to Pixie Hollow if you want," she offered.

Andy shook his head. "I just...kinda want to be around family this mid-break. I don't know why." He lied.

"Andy, I know why. Family is important, and you're learning how to appreciate it more because of the Hamada's loss."

She was right. But Andy didn't want to admit it. He felt bad, leaving the Hamada's alone at a time like this. He wanted to go back to them, comfort them, and let them know it would be okay.

But it wouldn't. Andy didn't feel okay, so why would he say it would be? Honey Lemon had also stopped talking and eating at lunch, instead she'd spend her time in the library.

"You leaving?" Gogo asked, chewing her gum.

"Yeah. Um...are you heading back to San Franskoyo, by any chance?"

"I am, actually. Want me to deliver a message to Cass or something?"

Andy scuffed the floor and chewed on his lip before answering. "Tell her that...I'm sorry, and that...I...I just couldn't do it."

Gogo stopped chewing, and she closed her eyes for a moment, almost as if she was trying to stop the tears before they came.

"Okay," she said. "Sure."