Chapter 98

Fawn could hardly process what was happening to Andy, then she had to process exactly what came next. Someone appeared behind Andy and whacked him over the head with a frying pan, knocking him out cold. Rapunzel stood over him, breathing heavily, Flynn standing beside her.

"Sorry," she said. "He said something about Gothel and I thought he was being possessed."

Flynn laughed. "Well, you almost got possessed too and I was able to save you without knocking you over the head."

Rapunzel glared at him, but it soon melted into a smile. She then turned to Fawn. "I panicked. Sorry."

Fawn waved off the apology, still sore from everything that had happened. Andy lay still on the floor, and Flynn gently took Rapunzel's hand, smiling. Fawn blinked a few times, relieved for the duo's presence but also concerned for Andy, who laid still on the ground.

"You better not have hit him too hard, Rapunzel." Fawn carefully wrapped her arms around Andy's upper body, pulling him to rest on her legs. "How do we get out of here? Do you guys have any sort of idea?"

Rapunzel and Flynn exchanged a glance. "We have some idea," Flynn said. "But you have to trust us."

As far as she could see it, Fawn didn't have a choice.

◈▣◈

"We're gonna die!" Wilbur wailed, trembling behind Penny.

Violet had put up a force field around them, struggling under the weight of the giant mutant monster that attempted to break through. She thought that she'd seen the last of the ugly monster in the abandoned warehouse, but fate had other plans.

"How exactly are we supposed to get out of here?" Hiro wondered, scouring their surroundings from inside the shield.

The monster they had left behind a few months ago was now on their tail, and Hiro knew they couldn't stay under the shield forever.

"Violet, drop the shield," Hiro said. "We can make a run for it."

Violet glanced at him as if he was crazy, knowing that the second the shield dropped the monster would lash at them immediately. Either way, he was right. There was no other option they had. She looked over at Wilbur and Penny, who nodded resolutely.

She let down the shield and her friends scurried away immediately. Violet screamed and released a ball of energy at one of the monster's constructed limb, hoping it bought some time. The sound of her friends running away reached her ears, but Violet couldn't escape the monster with how it was twisting itself to contain her in its slime.

"Violet, what are you doing?"

The shout came from Wilbur, who should've been gone by now. She had dropped the shield to let her friends get away. The mutant monster had formed a wall of goop around her, and she could hear Wilbur rearing to ram his shoulder into the wall.

"Wilbur, don't!" she yelled. "You'll get hurt!"

"Then how are you supposed to get out?"

Violet sighed, trying to ignore the way her heart thumped. He was here. He stayed. He still cared about her, didn't he?

"I'm a super... I'll figure things out."

"Well, I'm not going anywhere. This weird chasm opened up and Penny and Hiro disappeared, but I think they're okay. When it opened, I'm pretty sure I saw Tiger Lily and Peter Pan on the other side."

"What?" Violet's breath hitched. How was Wilbur sure they weren't in danger? "Why didn't you go in after them?"

"As I said, I'm not leaving you." His voice was deadpan, as if that was final. "I mean it, Violet. I know I'm the one who said I needed space, and I'm the reason for everything that's wrong between us—"