Ch. 18: A Benny special

Start from the beginning

"Hey, Michael?"

"Mhm?"

"I never meant for this to happen. I wasn't thinking straight, and I was horny and drunk, and..."

"Stop. I don't wanna hear. It happened, and that's how it is. I messed up. No, we messed up in the most horrible, deceitful way, and I don't blame Mia one bit for running out on us."

"But she's just a little too sensitive. And when she realizes, she'll get over it. She's been angry at me before."

"For months? I don't know, Gabby. Would you forgive us if you were her?"

"No. I wouldn't have freaked out about it in the first place."

Was she serious? She put the blame on her best friend? That was a low blow.

"Look, I need to go, Gabby. Talk to you some other time."

Like never.

"Sure."

"Okay, bye."

I hung up before she could reply, and felt furious on Mia's behalf. Talk about being stabbed in the back. I was just as guilty as her so-called best friend, but at least I would try anything to get her back. And thanks to something Gabby said, I got an idea of where to start. But first I needed to do something.

I needed to block Gabby's number again.

<><><>

"Hello there, lass. How are you on such a lovely morning?"

I tried not to, but I giggled when I heard Benjamin's voice behind me, faking his best Emmy award worthy British accent.

"Good morning," I smiled, suddenly a bit shy.

"You look good, at least. I mean, you always do, but I was talking about right this morning, and you sure look good now, too. Not that I had any doubt about it, because there's not a day that you're... God! That made me sound like a creep that has been stalking you for ages. I haven't, I promise, but I did keep an eye on you. You know, in a friendly way, because you seemed lonely. Or not friendly, since we're only acquaintances, but I..."

"Is this one of those moments where I tell you to shut up?" I laughed, unable to get rid of the silly smile on my face. He blushed and looked down.

"Yeah," he mumbled.

"You do talk a lot."

"Only in certain situations."

"Yeah? Such as early in the morning?"

He chuckled and gave me a half-smile. He didn't look straight at me, though. It was more like a quick glance through his hair, that hung in front of his face, partially covering it like a light drape. But it didn't hide the blue oceans in his eyes.

"Not really."

"Not really?"

He started walking toward our classroom and signed for me to follow. He acted strange.

"Did I say something wrong?" I asked, and his eyes immediately widened.

"Of course not. I just feel a bit stupid for letting my mouth run off with me when I'm around you."

I tilted my head a little and watched him as he sighed. Then he stopped in the middle of the stream of people heading for their classes, and looked straight at me.

"When I get nervous," he admitted. "I talk a lot when I get nervous. And before you freak out; no, we're not having any tests today that I know of."