10

The next time they stopped for gas was in New Mexico. He went inside and picked out a few things for Freak to do along the way to Oklahoma. Snow came and stood next to him.
"You like word searches and adult coloring pages?"
"No. It's for Freak so he doesn't lose his mind. He can't sleep the whole way there."
"Yeah, I guess you're right."
Snow nodded and looked around.
"I wish we could stop and enjoy the sights on the way. There's been some gorgeous views and attractions that we're just... Watching fly by. But, I get it. If we stop, the monsters might get us."
Narcolepse frowned and was quiet for a moment, taking in his words. He wanted to stop and see the sights around here. His eyes widened.
"Why not? Why not stop and see the sights?"
"Uh, hello? I just told you why."
Narcolepse shook his head.
"No, I mean... We're ahead of the game. We could stop and see some things. The monsters only read our energy signatures when we come into our abilities or use them. So we don't use our abilities. We lay low. And... We get to see the sights a bit."
Snow smiled.
"You're crazy. But, it could work, I think. I'll talk to Phoenix about it."
"Yes, please do. I'd like to stop and see things, too."
Snow nodded.
"I'm sure it would also help Freak and us from losing our minds."
"Yeah. I'm gonna go buy these things and then we can go talk to Phoenix about extending our trip."
"We should go to some restaurant and get some real food instead of old gas station snacks and candy. It's getting pretty old at this point."
"I completely agree with that statement."
Snow laughed at Narcolepse's words, then they continued to the counter to buy the items they had picked out. When Snow put a candy on the counter, Narcolepse raised a brow at him.
"I thought you said you were tired of the candy."
"I said it was getting old. This, however, never gets old."
"I'm pretty sure that peanut M&m's have an expiration date, disproving your statement."
The cashier laughed and Narcolepse looked at him.
"I'm right, aren't I?"
The man chuckled as he said,
"Yes, that sounds about right. Will this be all for you two gentlemen?"
"Yes."
Narcolepse and Snow said simultaneously. Narcolepse laughed and looked at Snow, then paid for their items and took the bag. They headed out to the Jeep to find Phoenix leaning against the passenger door, arms folded and an irritated expression on her face.
"What took so long? We've got to go."
"Well, about that..."
Snow said, rubbing the back of his neck.
"I was wondering if we could stop and see some of the sights on the way to Oklahoma. The land is very beautiful and I'd like to take some time to admire it."
Phoenix frowned at him, then glared at Narcolepse before turning back to Snow.
"Your friend was kidnapped and you want to sightsee. Snow, you need training if you're ever going to get him back. We can't waste time looking at the trees and bugs."
Snow went pale in the face.
"Yeah, you're right. I wasn't thinking clearly. Let's go."
Snow climbed into the back with Freak and Narcolepse looked at Phoenix.
"Try and put off our mission again and I'll-"
"You'll what? If you do anything to me, Snow will hate you. I'd watch your back if I were you. As soon as you slip up, I'll be there to make sure Snow and Freak know about it."
"Hm... We'll see."
Phoenix went around the Jeep and got in, then Narcolepse took up the passenger seat. He hated sitting next to her. He hated being around her. But, as of right now, it was unavoidable.