The Past, The Present, And The Future - part 3

And without further ado, here is my early Christmas present, from me to you...

Sabine led the way at a full run, with Kanan, Zeb and Ezra following close behind her. She followed the markings on the walls showing the way to Bay 6. As she ran, she couldn't help the thought entering her mind that Mal Shrivus might possibly be part of this operation. And if he was, he very well might be waiting in Bay 6 for them.

As she had this thought, she paused at an intersection, as if uncertain where to go. But really, she was stalling, trying to think of what she could do if Shrivus was there. As she continued thinking on it, a cold presence entered her, stealing its way through her mind and body, bringing with it a realization of what could happen in the next few minutes.

The others came to a stop behind her. Ezra leaned his hand against the wall as he tried to catch his breath.

"Man, Sabine...I know we're trying to get there quickly, but...maybe we could go slightly less quickly?" He heaved a great breath and tried not to sound like he was dying, unsuccessfully.

Zeb laughed at him. "What, a great Jedi can't keep up with a girl? Hahah!" Ezra glowered at him, then saw Kanan. He was frowning and shaking his head. He felt his masters disappointment like a punch in the gut. It was all he could do to not let the tears of anger and embarrassment welling up inside him to flow down his face.

He felt his hand sliding down the wall and found himself crouched on the floor, head bowed. He took several deep breaths to calm himself. He remembered the words Kanan, and later Sabine, had stressed to him. From Kanan, "'You need to be with us, Ezra. Practicing. Focusing.'" From Sabine, "'If you love someone, you don't play around, and you don't goof off. You take every waking moment to Practice, and Focus,"'

Ezra realized it was a bit too late to practice, but it was never too late to focus, which was what he did now. He focused on the force, gaining peace as a reward, then he moved onto his friends.

He felt Zeb still enthused over the fact that Ezra was out of shape. He rolled his eyes and moved on to Kanan, and felt him also focusing back on Ezra. Ezra felt him smile in approval as Kanan realized what his apprentice was doing. Then Ezra felt something else in Kanan. He searched for a moment, and realized he was worried. Frowning, he felt deeper..

..he was worried for Sabine. Instantly, Ezra put all his focus on Sabine, which turned out to be a mistake. The near-panic internal pain she was feeling nearly blew Ezra over. His eyes flung open as he fell to the metal floor, sending a dull thud into the air. He grunted as his shoulder took the brunt of the fall. Kanan knelt beside him and helped him up. In doing so, he whispered in Ezra's ear.

"Was that Sabine?" Ezra nodded, eyes wide, swinging to focus on Sabine. As he did, he realized...

"...she's shaking Kanan. Something is terribly wrong." He tried to step forward to go to her, but Kanans hand stopped him. He continued whispering, "Be careful, Ezra. I feel there is much Sabine hasn't told us, and keeping those secrets is slowly killing her inside. She is stressed and panicked. Tread lightly, and watch what you say." Ezra nodded quickly and ran the few paces distance over to Sabine. He placed both his hands on her shoulders and took her a few steps away from Kanan and Zeb, into the shadows.

Kanan and Zeb took a few steps back into a corresponding hallway so they were out of ear shot but could still see them. Sabine yelled out at one moment, and Ezra quickly hugged her. Zeb frowned.

"Is now really the best time for those two to be doing lovey dovey stuff?" Kanan didn't bother turning to look at the Lasat as he responded. "Trust me Zeb, this is more important than you realize." Zeb grumbled but stayed alert, ears awake for any signs of bucket heads as he waited for Ezra and Sabine to finish...whatever they were doing.